Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

3 burning issues for Georgia football, answering the tough questions

2»

Comments

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This might be the first time I almost 100% agree with you. Good post! 🤣👍

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Do you think, maybe, it is the lack of deep shots? Beck missed on the throw to Delp to open the game, then, seemingly, we abandoned the deep ball until late in the game. Delp was wide open. Why not try again?

Second, there seems to be an unnatural reluctance on the part of Beck to attempt throws down field that require some touch and some air under the ball. If so, why is that, do you think?

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Glad you said this! And I think it was a significant factor in Auburn being able to hang with us for so long. I have never seen a UGA multi-game starting quarterback stare down his receivers so often, and for so long. It's amazing to me that we didn't have multiple INTs.

The odd thing is that I can't recall Beck doing this too often in the past. Certainly he does it more than SBIV, Murray, etc., but not like last Saturday. So, what changed? I'm guessing the environment/crowd-noise was a factor.

As many pundits said after the game (including Herbstreit), Carson Beck "grew up" this game... my big hope is that part of that growth is putting the receiver-staredown habit away. If it doesn't go away, Top 10 defenses (maybe even Top 25) are going to make us pay, especially with a relatively weak defense 🤔

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

@thadec...you are nitpicking the stats. We had 2 turnovers and gave up several big running plays! You can't dismiss those and say we really didn't play that poorly on run defense. 219 yards rushing is just that and involved the Dawgs giving up big plays. Kirby has said time and again we've got to stop the big plays...and we did not. We hadn't given up over 200 yards rushing in a game since 2018...against a team where we knew they would run the ball but still couldn't stop them. Dawgs are ranked 114th in Red Zone defense. Pitiful.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We need to get real. THey were never going to beat us passing. THey were a one trick pony, and they almost whipped us. Why? Because their QB kept running and we had no answer for it! THis wasn't Bryce Young or Stroud back there throwing darts.

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

We are over 1/3 way through the season and people are still saying not to worry, we will get better. After 5 games in, I'm not so sure. We may have run out of time to "get better".

After watching Kentucky on Saturday, I can't believe we are a 2 TD favorite.

"Up the middle on 3rd and long" Bobo, is still too predictable. He needs to grow a pair. Maybe Air Raid would loan Bobo one of his.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If this were true (being the next great one) then he wouldn't have left. He was never going to be the next great one here.

I think Hall or Jarrett will start flashing and they both will be great. Plus we got some studs coming in next year and maybe more if Breland and McCray join the fun.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

Hot take. Beck looked great. I can't believe how many people are nitpicking a kid who is literally a top 10 qb in the nation this year. Is he perfect. No. Is he da ng good yes. Maybe I'm watching a different game then you guys but he looks like he has ice running through his veins and the only pick he had really was on the receiver who never should let a db take that.

Beck is awesome. You guys need to stop clowning yourselves.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We analyze this D to death. But why? It is obvious that our D line is far less talented this year. It’s also obvious that we are not very good at stopping any run on the perimeter. Nobody seems to have the responsibility of setting the edge on perimeter runs. That’s a major problem.

Fortunately, Auburn is not a very good football team. They basically have no passing attack and their O line is not very good. Nevertheless, Auburn consistently gained significant yardage simply be running wide. We appear to be at least one step slow pursuing perimeter runs.

Now, here comes KY! Guess what, they have a very good O line and a stud at running back. Auburn has neither of those. Unless a major improvement occurs this week, KY will be able to run both inside and outside. KY’s passing attack hasn’t shown much, but Leary is a decent QB.

Conclusion: we better open up the offense and try to out score KY. This being conservative on offense and relying on the defense is not a good plan for the KY game. Come out firing on offense from the get go or watch KY dominate time of possession and wear down a less than stellar defensive front.

We can win this game, but not by running up the middle three times and punting like we did on the first drive againstAuburn.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@dawgfromduluth

First off, the reason why people are saying that the team will get better is because so many guys are injured. The presumptive starting tailback has barely played and neither has the #3 tailback. The #1 WR played for the first time this year, was clearly limited and yet still made big plays. Javon Bullard also missed several games, played clearly not 100% and still led the team in tackles. If you have a case for why having your #1 and #3 RB, your #1 WR and the leader of your defense doesn't make a difference then let's hear it.

Also, I remember 2021. The UGA team that played Auburn and Kentucky early that year would not have beaten Alabama in the NCG. This year, in addition to getting guys healthy, I keep telling you that considering what Bobo wants to do on offense, having a third guy step up in the passing game - whether it is Bell, Delp or one of the transfers - will make a lot of difference because if you can play a guy on each side that defenses can't get away with essentially ignoring then that (plus the running game) opens up a whole lot of space for Bowers. Bowers made a ton of plays on Saturday but they were difficult plays. For UGA to score the points that they need to in order to win this year, they are going to have to become easier plays.

Finally, Beck was a lot better Saturday than he was earlier in the season. I don't have a problem with saying that the Beck who played UT-Martin, Ball State and South Carolina would have lost Saturday. Beck made real strides against UAB and continued to improve against Auburn, particularly when you consider that neither of the turnovers was his fault AND it was a double digit comeback in a conference game on the road with the hostile crowd doing their level best. What evidence is there that Beck won't keep improving? Beck was clearly "throwing guys open" who weren't getting separation and making some very risky passes Saturday. He was also rolling away from the pressure and making plays out of the pocket (unless I am mistaken, he wasn't sacked either). Not saying that the guy is going to be a Heisman Trophy candidate, or at least not this year. But if he stops staring down receivers - which I personally rarely see him doing but everyone else insists is a problem - and starts to connect on vertical passes (some of the misfires were the fault of a young and not particularly exceptional WR group!) wouldn't that be huge?

So yes, teams certainly get better during the season. (Teams also get worse but another story for another day.) I don't see why so many are discounting the possibility - other than not liking who Kirby Smart chose as QB and OC. And this is hilarious ... normally I am the one who dislikes Kirby Smart's decisions and comes on here to criticize him. The one instance where Kirby Smart did something that I agreed with - hiring Bobo to run a pro style offense in an era where virtually everyone else is running the spread which gives UGA an advantage, and were UGA to start recruiting fullbacks again even as part time players it would give them a bigger one, and going with a dropback passer with a strong arm that teams used to defending the spread rarely see anymore in Beck - no one else has confidence in.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thx !! I missed a Big chunk of the first half, including the INT. I haven’t went back and watched my recording of it yet. But honestly I didn’t see that in the time I watched. Was it more so in the first half ?? Course my ole eyes ain’t what they used to be either.

What I liked in that Much Needed TD drive with Bowers was how he looked defenders off. But again my eyes are pretty bad now Lol !! All in all though I feel he did pretty well in that hostile environment. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 382 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Idunno. If his leaving was mutual, then even if he was as good as he's showing elsewhere, it wouldn't have mattered. Not being able to gel with a team and system creates problems.

• Options

Wow !!! I criticized you pretty rough last year. I got pretty **** with you. I’ve already apologized for that a couple of times but I don’t mind doing it again. I Apologize sincerely.

Now I Love your comments !! Wish I could Ten Star upvote you !!! YES everyone that even halfway follows UGA Knew or should have known there would be considerable drop off on the Defensive Front. I will admit that it’s worse trying to stop the run, than I and many others thought it would be.

What surprises me though is how many fans seem ready by their comments to concede the season !! NO !! There’s No reason at THIS point in time for Any Dawgs fan to do that !! If players just Can’t get better why does Kirby and his staff even bother to have practices ?? YES they Can get better and I Believe they Will get better. Fantastic ?? No, but enough to get the job done.

People seem to want to ignore this FACT, but This Dawgs team has The Most Injuries in Kirby Smart’s tenure as HC !! Plus a Ton of guys are gone to the NFL, hit the TP, or just graduated and went on to other things. There is a Ton of Highly Talented, Highly Athletic, But Young & Inexperienced players on this team. But their not gonna Stay that way !! They Will get better with every game played, every snap taken.

First year for Beck as Starter, BIG difference from the Mostly garbage time snaps he got before. I think he’s done actually Very well. Especially since the O line that was Supposed to be a strength ( Even without Mims) has been so inconsistent. And I personally don’t see the staring down receivers, But my eyes are pretty poor so if the Majority of fans do see that I’ll concede it.

Has Bobo been perfect ?? No. Has he been Mostly bad ?? NO !!! I remember Very Clearly times where fans would come on Here frustrated and disappointed with Monken !! There are quite a few fans that just flat out don’t like Bobo and Never Will regardless of what he does good, bad, or in between. BUT there are Also quite a few fans that understand he wasn’t That bad the first time he was here. AND Monken himself Clearly Stated that quite a few if his Successful Red Zone plays were actually drawn up by none other than Mike Bobo !! It was Right Here on this DN site a coupe of times while Monken was Still here !!

Now I Know that our Defensive Front has been pretty poor stopping the run. BUT the majority of those runs have come from Running QBs, NOT rival RBs !! In Auburns case they used Two and kept changing them in and out and it seemed to confuse the Dawgs Defensive Front.

With Kentucky the Dawgs will face a more Traditional type Offense. I Know that Davis will be a absolute Load to stop !! But it’s pretty doubtful he’ll be throwing the ball. So Dawgs can pretty much focus on him Exclusively. Just get the W vs Kentucky !!! Personally I don’t care that much about the score.

Then on to Vandy. No disrespect to them, and Never underestimate Anybody !! But if the Dawgs take care of business they Should handle Vandy fairly easy. THEN a much needed Bye Week !!! Where Injured Players can get healthy, Film can be studied, practices, and Young guys can Continue to learn, Especially from their mistakes.

On the Live Game Day thread my comments tend to be totally different !! I get frustrated and disappointed and make All Kinds of Negative comments. But in Reality I Trust Kirby Smart. I just Hope that some of our rivals will underestimate Kirby and This Years Dawgs like Some of our fans !!

But our rivals Won’t do that. They Know not to Ever count a KS coached Dawgs out !! All any need do is ask OSU from last year or Auburn from just this past weekend they thought they had that game in the bag !! Until our Dawgs Actually Lose a game it’s premature to give up on them. Get the W against Kentucky and it Could be the point when the Dawgs turn the corner. The Bye week will be Especially important this year. Go Dawgs !!

• Options

Yeah. I can’t validate them and won’t even try to. But there were some pretty heavy rumors that he had attitude problems. Again I don’t know how accurate those rumors were. But and IF they were true that’s a Bad situation in the locker room. He’s gone so the guys that Are here both veteran and younger players just gotta rise up and get it done !!