Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia stock report: Bulldogs ring Kentucky’s bell 51 times

SystemSystem Posts: 10,688 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia stock report: Bulldogs ring Kentucky’s bell 51 times

ATHENS — Georgia football rang the bell 51 times Saturday night, knocking out Kentucky in what was supposed to be the toughest game of the season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You can't put it on Bobo when we score and do well and take it off of him when we don't. Bobo finally figures out we're a pass first team instead of run first. That simple. He kept trying to drive a square peg in a round hole. Saturday night he gave up and went to a round peg. PResto-chango! Look what we have here! Scoring left and right!

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 731 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like the overview but have to disagree on Smith. His stock has to be trending down. He has been a non-factor all season and most of that is due to the inability to hang onto the ball. I believe you are being a bit too kind with the “appeared the pass went off his hands” because it was clearly a well-thrown ball that should’ve been caught. He has had some drops during the season and I say put the new speedster from Florida in that spot and see if he can be a bit more productive. Good overview @MikeGriffith

• Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Blaming Bobo is worn out. The guy calls good games. The primary issue for Georgia to this point has been Beck and the receiver's inability to connect on wide open deep passes the first 5 games of the season. Bobo calls plays based on 2 things: our primary identity as a run first football team and what the defense is giving him and he has largely been successful to this point. Kentucky is strong up front, and weak at the back, so he took to passing more. We have had some poor execution to this point, and while that is on the coaches to clean up, it's not play calling that has been the problem. Up until the second half of last week, Beck was simply first half of 2021 Stetson Bennett. These same fans were calling for Bennett to be benched simply because Monken was trying to work with him and ease him into a roll he had not been expecting him to play. People tend to overlook how unsteady we were in the early parts of 2021.

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Check the 2013 59-17 bell ringing. 82 plays to 47, TOP 40:32 to 19:28, Rush yds to 230-73, 602yds to 211, and 35 first downs to 10. In 2014 63-31 but the stats weren't as lopsided. Bobo's offense then with Hutson Mason as QB1. 😎

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

It happens every week. There is no official "stock down" category.

Anyway, for all the attention the poor officiating in this game is getting, I'm surprised no one has commented on the "block" in the back call on Mews' big return. I'm not sure if our guy even actually touched the Kentucky player, and if he did, it wasn't enough to affect anything. Just sort of lightly brushed up against him as he was going by. I'd have to go back and check to confirm, but I think the Kentucky player might even have already started falling down before the Georgia player even reached his arms out. And for that they take away a 60-something yard return. Not quite as egregious as the roughing the passer, but still a bad call that wiped out a big pay.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@E_Roc "It happens every week. There is no official "stock down" category."

Usually, it makes sense if you figure Mike grades on a curve. Soarting= up; up=even; even = down. But this week, most of the "Stock Up" guys really are "Stock Up."

One guy he overlooked: UGA! Boom has 1.000 winning percentage, and patrols the sidelines with a fair bit of enthusiasm (for the bulldog breed).

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That Thomas catch was a real beauty.

I think you're being generous with Chambliss rating. One play he'll be lights-out, and the next he gets baited into a bad reaction/angle. Love the guy, but needs to show more patience and consistency.

I'd bump Mews' stock up a half notch for 2 reasons. As E_Roc pointed out, the dude took one to the house in fine fashion, but for a bogus penalty. And the punt he let go and for which he got his tail chewed was way short and in heavy traffic... IMHO too risky to fly in there to try to make that catch. Of course KY got a great bounce, which made it look bad. But I don't hang all that on Mews. One thing Georgia players learn quickly is they'd better have thick skin. Main thing is to go back to the film with their position coach, learn what needs to be learned, and not necessarily let the heat of the moment on the sideline get into your head because your number might be called 2 minutes later and you need to be dialed into that moment.

Glad (?) to hear JMD has been less than 100%... might explain why his lateral speed hasn't been what we're used to at that position.

Go Dawgs!