Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Despite Marvin Jones Jr. ankle injury, Kirby Smart not overly concerned about Georgia edge defense

SystemSystem Posts: 10,668 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
imageDespite Marvin Jones Jr. ankle injury, Kirby Smart not overly concerned about Georgia edge defense

ATHENS — Marvin Jones Jr. just cannot seem to catch a break.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ypcregypcreg Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I thought Jalon Walker looked good against Kentucky. He seem to have much better speed than Chambliss and covered edge well. He is listed as 245lb. I'm not sure how much different is that from 250lb., which is how Jones and Chambliss are listed. Plus, Nolan Smith was actually less than 240lb., and he was a 3-year starter.

I guess I'm not a coach and shouldn't be questioning our coaches, but it just doesn't sound very logical to me. Maybe he has other considerations he doesn't want to discuss. But the bottom line is that we are getting beat out on the edges, it started last year and it is continuing and getting worse this year. If we don't fix it soon, it's going to come to bite us sooner or later.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm sure Jones is ready to be back. Can't wait to see more.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who is Cole Speer? He's listed on this report every week but no one ever discusses or mentions his situation, or lack thereof. Is he even enrolled at UGA?

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cole is a '22 commit 5' 11" 185 lbs WR. Not heavily recruited 3-star. Has seen little action,some in the SC game. Yds gained in the single digits. Runs a respectable 4.38 sec. in the 40. He can scamper. Looked up most of this data.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@ypcreg

The last 2 years UGA got it done with a great defense and good offense. This year it is going to require a great offense and a good defense.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks for explaining the OLB situation so thoroughly, @MikeGriffith. I'm hoping you have time for a couple of questions: Doesn't our D rely on OLB speed on sweeps as well as passes (i.e. the pursuit to the outside takes as much or more speed than an edge rush)? Plus, outside runs are often called in short passing situations, so wouldn't you want to ensure that you have the fast guy in there at, say, Third and 4 to guard against either the passe or the sweep?

The story made me curious enough to do a little research. I know that a little knowledge in the wrong hands can be a dangerous thing, :-) but ...

Chambliss has been patrolling that line of scrimmage really well IMO. He wins battles against OLs, and nary a ball carriers escapes his clutch. (so much for Ray Davis). But Chaz does have a harder time chasing down runners like those Auburn QBs on sweeps to the outside. He's run a 4.66 on the 40.

Marvin Jones Jr. is both strong and pretty fast -- a bit longer than Chambliss and clocked at 4.55/40. He is bigger and faster than Will Anderson Jr. So a healthy Marvin may be able to play the line, rush the QB and shut the door on a sweep.

The two main pass-situation guys (Jalon Walker and Xavier Sorey) are smaller side but really fast: 4.46/40 and 4.42/40 respectively. By the time Xavier gets to the NFL combine, he may run a 40 as fast as Nolan Smith (4.39). But those two guys don't have that much experience on the outside).

I just four guys.

All the young talent is why I think two positions will improve considerably as the year wears on. The fact that Jones -- an injured sophomore -- is the second-most experienced says it all. We've got great pieces that are gaining experience. Last week, they did their part even without Jones.

My impression is that the unicorn of the bunch is Damon Wilson Jr. I can't find his 40 time, but I get the impression he's about fast as Jalon and nearly as big as Marvin. By all accounts hard worker who was here in the spring. But we haven't seen a lot of him yet. Does anyone know why not?

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

Gotta throw the flag on this. You are way higher on #32 than anyone. I see the effort but reserve level ability, and production in starter snaps. He is the weak link on the D and is already at his ceiling. UGA will be in trouble if someone doesn't step up at this position. #32 gets stonewalled or manhandled regularly.

MJ Jr has been a major disappointment so far. To the point that I have doubts he ever reaches anything close to what his potential should be. Certainly this season. I guess we can use the injuries as an excuse. To compare MJ Jr to Will Anderson is one of the most ridiculous comparisons I can imagine. Even worse than @BigDawg61 comparing MRJ to AL's Williams, Waddle and Davonte Smith yesterday.

A picture of #7 recently seen on this site looks as if he still has not found the weight room yet. I know shoulder injury. Anderson had 7 sacks and 52 tackles as a freshman (13 games) on a NC AL team. MJ Jr? Who knows. Even the internet doesn't know his stats. IDK what Anderson's weight was but he had Jalen Carter LB strength. He was absolutely killing RG Ericson in the CFBNCG until CKS moved Salyer to RG. Anderson was overpoweringly strong.

Darris Smith needs to bulk up. He hasn't yet. His absence is concerning considering OLB is thin on experience. Need him back and developing.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All good points, Dad. I'm sure your eye for football is more discerning than mine.

I do think Jones has the talent to get much better. Don't you agree that all the injuries could be limiting his performance?

To be clear: I surely wasn't saying Jones is as good as Will Anderson! I'm just saying he seems to own the physical gifts to be a great OLB.

I know you were high last spring on Darius Smith. But he's run into some problems. That's partly why I'm hoping Damon Wilson develops quickly. They seem similar physically.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes we can remain optimistic about many young Dawgs including MJ Jr. He had shoulder surgery. You can't lift for 4-6 months after shoulder surgery. That definitely impacted his strength development. Seemed that was already lacking when he arrived on campus. He has a high ceiling IF he can stay free of injury and works at development.. Not expecting it this season but somebody will PROBABLY step up to surprise us. Really need multiple players on this D to progress weekly throughout the rest of the season. Not sure these guys will grow that much in 5 weeks.

Have not heard anything on DSmith. So I hope he can remain in the program and continue to develop. He needs to add weight and strength. He still looks like a basketball player playing football. And that is okay for WR and CB but not so much for OLB/DE.

If you have enough of those development guys (DSmith, MJ Jr, DWilson, GHarris etc) you can play a lot of guys, develop a lot of guys, minimize injury effects and increase the probability of a "hit".

As well as UGA recruits, it seems that every year UGA is "thin" at some position. I keep thinking the answer is to recruit less developmental OL that never play.

CKS doesn't seem to like to use the TP too much. Bringing in guys sends the wrong message to the guys that have been here working hard. Expect CKS to use the TP to bring in DL and S after this season.