Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Ladd McConkey status update, Georgia snap count leaders at halfway point

SystemSystem Posts: 10,668 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
imageLadd McConkey status update, Georgia snap count leaders at halfway point

ATHENS — Georgia leads the SEC in passing at the halfway point of the regular season even though it has largely been missing its most explosive receiver.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes. Don't aggravate it!

They certainly can give Ladd a break this week. At least, keep it

Thankfully, we have a great return man, and -- as last week showed -- a lot of good receivers.

I'm sure he's wanting to get in, but we don't need him aggravating a back injury against the likes of Vanderbilt and maybe even Florida.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well-written and very informative! Thanks,Mike!

”….before preparing for their annual 340-mile trip to play a neutral site game in Jacksonville against Florida.”

But, still beating this horse, I see!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Totally Agree !! As much as I Love to see Ladd play, don’t take any chances. To be honest I didn’t realize he had That many snaps !! Trusting that Kirby will have our Dawgs focused and All business they should be able to dispatch Vandy Big Time & Quickly.

I’m Not saying take them for granted, Especially at Their house. But let’s face it Vandy doesn’t have vaguely near the talent and depth that UGA has. EVEN if the Dawgs come in sleepy ( and they might) and get off to a slow start they Should be able to beat Vandy pretty handily.

BUT I hope NO slow start as BVG and Gunner need as many reps as can be squeezed in. As does many of the younger guys in the 2s and 3s.

This is a time for our Dawgs to get Healthier and Better. Run the score up as fast as possible and get the starters out !! Avoid injuries to key players. Crush Vandy. Get the Needed Bye week, ease on down to Jax and stomp the Mud Lizards !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options

@MikeGriffith Excellent article Mike !! To be honest I didn’t realize that Ladd had even That many snaps. I say rest him as much as possible before the UF game. Him and other injured guys. Get ready to run the rest of the gauntlet with as healthy of a team as possible.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I swear, Ladd McConkey's back injury is the greatest mystery since Amelia Earhart. We still don't know what it is, or how he got it or really, how to treat it. Everyone keeps saying don't let him practice or do anything of substance during the week so he can play in the game. But my question is, since no one seems to really understand the injury, how do we know that one play in a game might not cost him the rest of the season? But one things seems all but guaranteed now -- Ladd McConkey will be returning to UGA for his senior season. And that will be, hopefully, somewhat of a security blanket because the other guarantee is that Brock Bowers won't be returning. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    edited October 2023

I don’t claim to be a doctor or trainer or have any “insider” info. But when Ladd was first injured it was said to be a deep and severe muscle strain of his back, accompanied by muscle spasms.

SO after he missed I think it was game four, I dug into the internet on medical sites. Most of them said it could take 6 or more weeks to resolve and that the best cure was abstaining from All strenuous activity.

That fits right into the time line if we think about it. It might have been a re-injury as it was said he played injured last year. I don’t know for a fact. But I doubt very, very seriously that it’s something so serious that he could end up paralyzed or even deceased !! I don’t think it’s a matter of needing surgery either. If it was That serious Ron Courson would just flat out not let him play, At All.

So I think it fits right into the deep muscle strain with muscle spasms, and rest being the best remedy. Not in sports but from work I’ve had a similar injury. Very painful, Very frustrating !! And in my case it’s true that rest was the best remedy. By rest I mean not straining picking up heavy stuff.

Again I’m Sure not a medical professional, but if he and they handle his situation carefully he should be full go by the UF game. It’s All up to Ron, Kirby and of course Ladd himself, but I don’t think I’d play him vs Vandy. Just my opinion.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Navy...IMO, McConkey is just fine. In fact, I predicted that Vandy will be his best game, ever...with 3 TD's and 160+ yds. McConkey would not have seen the field, last week, if he still had a back injury. Kirby is keeping him fresh...but, ready.

I look for an airshow against Vandy...with Beck and Griff slingin' it to Bowers, Rosemy-Jacksaint, McConkey, Thomas, Lovett, Bell and Smith. Nothin' fancy...just a meat 'n potatoes passing attack off of the play action....cause, they will be running the heck out of the ball. The game will be OVER by halftime with the Dawgs ahead by 38 pts. Kirby removed one of Bobo's handcuffs. Lol

So many mismatches...so much talent, depth and speed. I don't see ANYBODY across the top 25 teams [except Michigan?], that can possibly stop UGA, this year. Some really pathetic defense, by the vast majority of teams.

Kirby took the mask off of the monster, last week. Nobody's buying his "smoke and mirrors", anymore...so, no need to pretend. They ARE head and shoulders, the best team in the Nation. So good...in fact, that they didn't "need half their roster or a full playbook, to take down the first 2 legs of their schedule. Lol

IMO...The jury's still out, on Michigan. It's hard to tell, just how good they are. I don't watch them play, very often...so, I don't have a good feel for their depth. I have to assume, that Harbaugh did the same thing Kirby was doing, with his weak schedule. Michigan may be the only team out there, that can give UGA a "real game". A heavy weight bout. We'll see after the OSU & Penn St games.

IMO...McConkey was getting ready for the second half of the season & CFP....while RaRa and Lovett got their feet wet and learned the system behind one of the best WR's UGA's ever had [Rosemy-Jacksaint]...[blocking, routes, sweeps, formations, etc.]. That gives UGA some extremely valuable insurance, later in the season.

For the past 2 years, we've heard the 2nd and 3rd place teams, "cry about losing a receiver" and claim an "IF ONLY Victory". Kirby don't cry. He coaches...and he manages....but, he don't cry. Lol...if he did...he would've cried a little bit in the 2018 CFP & SECCG [punt block]. Instead...he "Prepares".

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Once the season starts...all of em are injured and banged up to some extent. Regardless of whether or not, they get on the field, on Saturdays. Kirby held a lot of guys back, including McConkey...cause, winning adds 3 games and a month and a half to "The Season". It's a looong year....I don't care, how young or fit you are.

FYI...Lane Kiffin rested his receivers during the season to keep em fresh and had to convince Saban to do it, while he was at Bama. Saban...as the story goes...reluctantly complied. I've always, wondered, if Saban went back to the way he did it, before Kiffin arrived. Maybe that's why they lost Waddle, Metchie and Williams.

• Options

Bro. I agree with all you’ve said on both comments. These Dawgs are ready to roll on to a 3Peat !! Go Dawgs !!