Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Final grades following Georgia football win over Vanderbilt

SystemSystem Posts: 10,688 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
imageFinal grades following Georgia football win over Vanderbilt

Georgia saw multiple key players go down due to injury, had a few sloppy plays and looked generally uninspiring in its 37-20 over Vanderbilt this weekend.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Connor.....Mostly all As and Bs...then C+ team overall? You scored too high on some of these ....looked to me like you were scoring the KY game? The thumping Beck gave that defender scored him a B. Beck can tackle....!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We played better than the score. The tipped almost pick 6 and blown coverage along with 3 field goals and a dropped Arian pass skewed the score. Could of easily been 52-10 or something.

Not concerned at all. This team is beat up and needs to rest and get ready for Gators. Bye couldn't have come at a better time.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The way our secondary looked lost will be bad for teams like Ole miss. They thrive on crosses and cutbacks. While not knocking Vanderbilt's receivers, our secondary looked lost at times. It was worrisome at least for that game, just hope the bye week cleans some of that up.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 399 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So, let’s see if this makes sense. Every unit got a grade of B or better except the QB who got a C. Then the overall team grade comes out to a C+. As a teacher for over 40 years, I must say that’s the weirdest grading system I’ve ever seen. But I will say this, I think the c+ overall grade is actually about right. The problem is giving the units on defense grades that are too high, imo.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was disappointed by some of the secondary play, too. This should be a strength of our team.

I actually thought the LBs -- especially Small and Javon -- played really well.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 399 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I do agree with BigDawg888. The settling for FGs skewed the score. Dawgs should have scored at least 45 points.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

"sometimes I try to do too much".....I'd say we have the most intelligent, most highly introspective QB in Bull Dawg history in Carson Beck....he screwed up twice and took full responsibility....if there is one player that epitomizes the mantra, "Better Never Rest", its Carson....in my book, he gets a firm B.....that C was raised to a B because of his "NO EXCUSES" and laying the lumber to save a TD Extra Credit! Now comes the Gators, who eked out a road win in Columbia.....had SC had just one of our RB's they'd won the game....So, it''ll be Mertz passing against our passing and run game and I expect a big return from Mews on ST's. Not only are we the Home team but for Carson it's the return of the Home Town Hero. Beck will shine in a resounding Gator Beat Down!........I have caused such consternation and confusion in my neighborhood.....Adult community in Oro Valley north of Tucson surrounded by Pac 12 & B10 transplants who can't figure out.....G8R H8R! Goooo Dawgs, SICEM!.....been reported twice to the HOA for my "over zealous" Dawg flag displays....LOL

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2023

One C, 3 A's, 4 B's = a C+ average? ****! Connor RIley gets an F!

Let's hope BB is back full force for the natty.

"sometimes I try to do too much" is like saying my worst characteristic is that I'm too generous. A little hollow to me.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA seems to play down to the level of competition and play it's best for the "Big Games." I guess that's better than the opposite! :)

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not here to quibble about the grades. Those are secondary now. But now, Connor, maybe you can see why it was premature to write stories last week about "garbage time" play and how invaluable that is to second- and third-string players. (And don't try to claim it was just a story about how a team improves. No, it was published when it was because there was a clear assumption by you and, I guess the DawgNation staff that UGA would roll all over Vandy and the backups would be in by mid- to late third quarter, if not sooner). Many fans carried that same "we got this" mentality and so, apparently, did some of UJGA's players. Even before losing Brock Bowers, this 2023 UGA team simply cannot afford to overlook ANY opponent. That's even more true now as they'll need to play with their hair on fire from here on out. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Remember when CBeck threw the Pick 6 vs UAB in '21 ? He took a lot of criticism for not trying to tackle the interceptor. He took that criticism to heart. Applaud the effort to stop the pick 6 but question the necessity (intelligence). The player that Beck blew up (#1) blew out his knee on the play. #1 was Vandy's best defender and was " using this game to audition for the NFL" according to the announcers. Hate to see anyone get hurt. It could have been CBeck.

• Options
    CdjdawgCdjdawg Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

Score would have been worse if we didn’t kick field goals?????

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh...kay. So, everything was Beck's fault? You can't have excellent grades for just about everybody and give the overall a "C+". And yeah, 20 points to Vandy?

I admit that I need to rewatch the game again, but this was definitely a fail on coaching. Everyone seemed hung over and sleepwalking and acted like it was pouring down rain. Bobo also feel down to old habits and lost what was a great Kentucky game calling. They only attempted 15 rushing attempts (for a total of 18 yards), so why didn't we adjust our defense to stop the Pass and force the run? How were they able to score 20 points on 9 first downs?

Yes, I realize that 13 of their points came in the 4th quarter, but still... this is Vandy. They lost by 24 points to Florida. They lost to UNLV.

This isn't the first game (or even first set of games) of the year. We finished WEEK 7. We no longer have any "marquee wins" to fall back on if we get a loss. Our poor starts have given enough evidence that we might not be deserving of a #1 position, so a loss could drop us way, way down.

This was an important game to put a strong effort and finish strong before our bi-week and we failed as a team. The next time we fail, we might not be able to pull off a victory. Cupcake time is over.

• Options
    deputydogdeputydog Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

What is the issue with Arian Smith? He seems to drop balls specifically setup for him to excel.