Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

2023 version of Georgia football must reset, find championship focus and execution

SystemSystem Posts: 10,688 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
image2023 version of Georgia football must reset, find championship focus and execution

ATHENS — It’s time for a Georgia football reset.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We have so many playmakers. They just need to make it happen.

Lovett

Rara

Delp

Smith

McKonkey

JackSaint

Luckie

Edwards

Bell

Milton

That's 10 guys. If we can get 2 or 3 of them to step up in a big way we will be tough to deal with. So far I like what I'm seeing from JackSaint, Edwards, Rara, and Bell.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

" Auburn, South Carolina and Vanderbilt are a combined 1-10 against the rest of the conference — and yet, each led by at least a touchdown over Georgia...In the Vanderbilt game alone, the 15,000 or so UGA fans who drove to Nashville watched Georgia fumble, muff a punt, botch a snap, blow defensive assignments, drop passes, miss tackles and make errant throws."

" The Bulldogs defensive coaching staff, arguably the best in college football, were schemed up for 75-yard scoring drives at the start of the game and Commodores’ first possession of the second half. "

If Mike's words don't sum up the season thus far...well, then I don't know what does. Only one complete great performance played against a KY team that got trounced by Missouri last weekend does not bode well for an undefeated November. We've got the talent - even without Bowers - but not sure if we've got the focus and "gel" factor. Gotta get some real standout leadership on the defense as that is kind of our Achilles Heel for a Threepeat, IMHO. I know our offense can score points, so I'm not as concerned about Beck and company (other than turnovers). I am concerned about the defense - lack of speed on the edge, lack of a consistent pass rush, secondary miscues & mistakes, miscommunication, giving up big plays, and poor tackling. All against some pretty mediocre competition. Maybe the D is as good as it gets and a one or two loss season is where we will end up. I dunno at this point. If so, that is unfortunate. Like I've said ad nauseum, a different Dawgs team shows up each week so it's hard to say.

Correct, the sky is NOT falling, but I am concerned about any chance of an undefeated regular season (much less the postseason).

Better never rests...

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guess the defense plays soft to not allow too much to get deep on them(trying to keep everything in front of them) because we have such a hard time getting to the QB with just the front 4. If we're not blitzing the opposing QB has plenty of time to complete easy 7-8 yards throws. And we haven't played what I would call a good QB yet. So, there's that.

College football is just wierd. KY put the smackdown on Fla and Fla beats TN farly easily(out of nowhere). Fla goes to SC and beats them. We crush KY. Tenn handles Texas A&M with only 100 yards passing but 240+ yards rushing.

Suddenly Fla has a real good passing attack(our weakness). So who knows. Simply can't predict it. The LSU-BAMA game is looming large. LSU with the high powerd offense and best QB vs a resurgent BAMA whose offense has improved greatly since the start of the season and their defense is better than LSU's. Going to be interesting!

Only way forward is to win!

• Options
    softballcoachsoftballcoach Posts: 31 ✭✭ Sophomore

Such a doom and gloom perspective. Why not take the time to report on all the offensive players who have the skills to become the difference? I am okay with considering what you see but I am a long time Dawg, and I am proud of the work of CKS and his staff. Take the time to do some reporting on how the coaching staff will utilize the players they chose to play for the Bulldogs. That's my perspective.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2023

Again with the Vandy leading by 7 bit? We failed to stop them on their first possession. That’s it.

To say the sky isn’t falling, it sure does sound like it to read the follow up.

Heres another thing: I don’t care one bit how many teams lead at the half, or what their records are. I care who leads at the end. So far - knock on wood - that’s been Dawgs on top, time and again.

Consider this, too. When MG notes that “In the Vanderbilt game alone, the 15,000 or so UGA fans who drove to Nashville watched Georgia fumble, muff a punt, botch a snap, blow defensive assignments, drop passes, miss tackles and make errant throws,” what he doesn’t follow it up with is “and STILL managed to win by more than two touchdowns.”

I still have faith that our coaches are earning their keep, and that our players are tightening up their game. Yes, there’ve been mistakes, and they seem to have grown from all of them.

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 127 ✭✭✭ Junior

Ole Miss is not in control of it's own destiny. I doubt Tenn will be after this weekend.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@osmosiphobe Actually, that first TD wasn't it.

Georgia turned the ball over after the Vandy TD on its own side of the field and the Commodores missed a FG or they would have gone up 10

Vandy also scored a fourth quarter TD off a turnover that enabled them to go for a 2-point conversion that would have brought them within one score late in the game.

The Dawgs have had many great games, but that wasn't one of them, and admitting that doesn't make anyone less of a fan or supporter and is the job of reporters to bring reality into the equation -- kinda like a weather man. When it's cold, it's cold.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"The Dawgs have had many great games, but that wasn't one of them, and admitting that doesn't make anyone less of a fan or supporter and is the job of reporters to bring reality into the equation -- kinda like a weather man. When it's cold, it's cold."....The reality ,Mike, is that for you, if The Dawgs aren't perfect they're undeserving of any positive recognition? The reality, Mike is that The Dawgs are the most talented TEAM in college football this season.....likewise the most talented for the past two years. The Dawgs have and continue to have the primier coaching staff in college football, all despite the huge loses of coaching staff and players to the NFL, TP and injury! Mike, the reality is that you continue to fumble by not showcasing the immense talent The Dawgs recruit and develop and that despite continual injury, and imperfect play we continue to win. I can assure you Mike that "the GREAT GAMES" are yet to come.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Remember in pre-season how many in media were asking How does Kirby motivate this 2023 team to 3Peat ? Well here it is. It’s very sad and tragic that it involves a Tremendous player like Brock Bowers getting injured though.

But he is injured. So our Dawgs as a program And the fan base to for that matter can lay down in the ditch and cry Poor, Poor Pitiful Me. OR rise up and set about kicking some azz !!!

As Dawgs fans we’ve All seen in the past what a peed off, chip on their shoulders Dawgs team can do !! With ALL and Total Due Respect to the Tremendous player Brock Bowers most Certainly Is.

The CFB Nation is laughing and scoffing at our Dawgs ( and really at us as fans to) saying Bwahaha the Dawgs CANT win without Brock Bowers !!!

Well Remember that’s the Same thing they said about having a Walk-On QB by the name of Stetson Bennett !!! Then when all that awesome Defensive Talent left to go to the NFL after 2021 “They” said NO WAY the Dawgs will repeat !!! Well we Know what happened !!!

Moral Of The Story: Never Count These Dawgs Out !!! Go Dawgs !!! GATA !!! Brock Bowers would want his Brother Dawgs to fight on and fight on they Will !!

• Options
    edited October 2023

@GtheGreek There's all sorts of positive recognition, every week, fantastic team with great players and incredible team resiliency. But this year's team has not played as well as the previous two, and now the challenge will be even greater with the best weapon in college football sidelined and a tough stretch ahead. If Georgia can pull this off -- and yes, it's possible -- Kirby better win coach of the year. He deserved it last year and I'm still not sure how he wasn't a unanimous choice after going 15-0 following a record 15 players drafted and 13 more exiting the portal

• Options
  • Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2023

That lone TD drive still had them in the lead for barely 6 minutes, and that's still two "would haves" that didn't pan out and become realities. Maybe putting the focus on the team's resilience and ability to recover from their mistakes (a la CKS) is a more reasonable move...

Not saying it was a great game, by any means. But the weather man analogy doesn't work. In this case, it wasn't a case of "was it cold?" There were cold bursts that were well-covered by a general warmth.

In general, I'm on board with your content Mr. Griffith, but there's something in this one that just doesn't jibe.