Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia opens game week as favorite over Alabama in SEC Championship Game

SystemSystem Posts: 10,537 admin
edited November 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia opens game week as favorite over Alabama in SEC Championship Game

Georgia football is a 4-point favorite to get its first-ever SEC Championship Game win over Alabama next Saturday, per Circa Sports.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd say the line is about right. It should be a close contest. Bama is not good enough to run away with this game, but they can cause us plenty of problems. I'd feel a WHOLE LOT better about things if we get Bowers and McConkey back. I don't think we have the personnel on defense right now to handle a effective pass rush AND be able to cover their receivers. I just don't see it. I also think we're going to have to commit one guy to spying and trying to contain a very mobile and dangerous Milroe. He is at least 50% of their offense, and if we cannot minimize his effectiveness on the ground and through the air then we may be in for a long night.

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Michigan as a 23 point favorite in what is advertised as a “championship” game?

Ohio State vs. Michigan is two mules fighting over a turnip and Penn State is no more top ten than Mississippi State. The rest of the B1G is a complete joke!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2023

What I'd like to know, is....Oregon is a 9-10 point favorite over a Washington team that won 8 games by fewer than 10 points. Yet....Washington is "ranked" higher [Top 4]. Why?

Yeah, I get that that's a "betting line"...but, if "Perception" has Oregon that much better than Washington...why isn't that reflected in the Polls. That's why I've always taken these "popularity polls" with a grain of salt. They don't reflect reality.

IMO....The 4 best teams in the Country are UGA, Michigan, Oregon and Alabama. Regardless of next week's results...those should be the teams playing for all the marbles in the CFP.

As for the SECCG.....UGA was holding back a little something special, for Nick Saban & Alabama, on the Defensive side of the ball. They "will not" allow Milroe to sit in the pocket, the way Auburn did. The key to beating Bama, is to pressure Milroe and force him throw on the run.

The Dawgs will use their speed to contain Milroe. Though, he WILL get a few explosive plays...they won't be TD's and the Dawgs will bow-up in the ted zone.. Not to mention...Milroe will be responsible for 1 or 3 turnovers, which will lead to Bulldog points.

I look for some highly effective blitz packages, out of Smart...which we haven't seen much of throughout the year. I'm sure, Saban is holding back a little sumpin' sumpin' for UGA, too. Lol

Bama will score twice...and, Kirby will unleash the Pack to hang 48 on em. All "walking wounded" will return for this all-or-nothing event....including Dumas-Johnson in a cast.

In the end...UGA's Ground Game, Special Teams & Depth...is all Kirby will need, to beat Saban. But, he has a lot more than that, to work with, in delivering to Saban, his worst beat down ever. Lol

UGA-48.....BAMA-15

• Options
    CdjdawgCdjdawg Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

because Washington beat Oregon on the field.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

AL scores 15 pts? That's dreaming. GT scored 23. And could've scored more. (Missed FG)

Might not be wise to blitz Milroe too much. Maybe on occasion with something unexpected. You want to try and make AL beat you by making Milroe beat you with his arm. Keep him in the pocket and hope his accuracy is off or the UGA DB's can stay close. AU tried that on the last play but that's when you WANT Milroe to run. 4th and goal from the 31. Once he is flushed out and past the LOS he can't throw the ball. It was high % that he couldn't make it to the end zone running the ball. AU DC F'd up.

Unless UGA hits the TP hard for DL and S, this '23 D will be better than the '24 D. Not a happy thought.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gonna be a 7 to 10-point game betwixt UGA and Bama. Both teams are beaten up...it will be a game of heart and who wants it most. Woodring will be a big factor for UGA. Barring injury and penalties...UGA should prevail.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like the way you think! The only way Bama keeps it close will be turnovers.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The "narrative" is a powerful thing and it's amazing to see how so many buy into whatever the narrative is.

You always hear B1G fans trying to talk down the SEC and it's 8-game schedule, then you realize that the B1G only has one team who's won anything in the last 25-years, and whoever OH or Michigan plays in the B1G championship game is always a gimmie opponent.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

For those of you saying UGA was holding back - that's wishful thinking. Tech runs a very similar offense to Bama. Why wouldn't you use it as a tune up for Bama. They have five days to correct freshman linebackers. Defensive line didn't hold up against three stars. Georgia's in trouble.

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We have been spoiled by two dominant, and healthy, defensive lines and linebackers for the most part during the last two years. The Dawgs need to show up and play four quarters against Bama. Hopefully we get the win and can get some more people healthy before the playoffs start.

Go Dawgs!!!!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Auburn seemed to do well against Bama. Anything Auburn can do, Georgia can do better.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

These are not the great wrs we have seen in the recent past. Burton is good but no better than what we are bringing. We have 4 Burton's on our team.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You've been locking in, to too many "narratives". Lol

If you think McConkey, Dumas-Johnson and Bowers [etal.], won't play....then, you don't understand "the mindset" of "executing the mission"....which is the Kirby Smart mantra. That was Kirby's motto coming off of Spring Practice.

Get better [Elite] at "getting better". How do you do that, if you've already maximized your off-season training?.

Kirby has the Program to a point where all 85 scholarship players have a role in learning a position(s)...and zero players have a role, in "carrying the team" or being a superstar.

Why not "sit" your key players, to take advantage of your vast superiority against 98% of the team's you face...[or, don't face]? Oregon is the only team out there, that seems to be as efficient on both sides of the ball, as UGA. Even with the loss to Washington...which I blame on, "coaching decisions"....not effort or playmaking.

15 games is a long season. Look how many teams, have their season go off the rails, because of "late season injuries"...due to having to play ALL of their key players, through all 4 quarters of every game.

Kirby is building next year's team...while making this year's team unbeatable, in the postseason. We haven't seen all of UGA's best, yet. There have been enough flashes, to give us an idea of what their "A Game" will look like....if they ever need it...or, Kirby decides to allow it.

I have a feeling, if Kirby ever shows exactly what the Dawgs can do, using their "A Game"....UGA will drown in "Rat Poison".

IMO....Kirby and the Coaching Staff are doing just enough during the season, to get to the CFP Battlefield...Healthy & Deep. Then....the real battle begins. They are on a mission!

To critique the Dawgs right now, is like tasting a Chef's masterpiece recipe...before the cookin' is done. Lol...it might be good, now...but not nearly as great as it will be, once all the ingredients have had a chance to meld.

I, personally, look forward to the January Tasting of Chef Kirby's masterpiece Championship Chowder. Lol