Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Brock Vandagriff to reportedly enter transfer portal

13»

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lol...I don't know if I'd call it optimism. My family would probably disagree. I just call em like I see em.

You wouldn't have wanted to be around me, before Kirby took over. While everybody was comin' down on Bobo...I was raising cane about their defense and their DC's...[Martinez and Grantham]. If not for those two guys...hired by Mark Richt...UGA would've won 2 or 3 Natty's during his tenure.

So....I guess you gotta blame Richt for that. And, as much as I liked Richt..."I did". Lol Kirby has it goin' on, in Athens. That's all there is to it. They'll be back...again and again and again. Let me go ahead and blow the lid off the mystery.....[They will not win em all.].

With Kirby's Program...it's not just about the talent, training and repetition. It's about the "selfless, team mindset" of a Winner and Leader. You don't make those. You find em and nurture em. They never stop getting better. Kirby has a locker room full of players like that. He is the Master of finding overlooked, raw talent...IMO.

That scares the hell out of a lot of Coaches out there, that don't get it...and, know they have to go through UGA [or Bama] if they're going to compete.

That's why they create "Beat UGA" practice periods at places like UM. Lol...they don't know what else to do. Lmao

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I fully agree with you in Both comments. As for You personally though, You and some others have been a positive for me. I don’t like to be a glass half empty type guy but I guess I get like ole Larry Munson sometimes, God Rest his soul !! 😀 So pretty much no worries about Beck leaving us to go to the NFL for now ?? He’s good enough to. No I Know he wouldn’t hit the TP !! He waited his turn at UGA for that !! What do you think of using Gunner more than just in garbage time though ?? The people here in Rabun County say he’s the best QB they’ve ever had. I don’t extensively know their history but they seem to be a winning program all in all. We just moved here July will be two years ago. Folks here are Very passionate about their HS football as most Georgians tend to be. Charlie Woerner is from here, you remember him. TE at UGA, I think he’s still in the NFL but I’d have to look it up. Could there be some designed situational plays for Gunner ? Or would that just be wasting a snap to Beck ? Curious your thoughts, and anyone else that wants to chime in !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope Beck stays as he is a terrific passer IMO. Though if I had my druthers, I would want a QB who was a tad more mobile. I think all of the past several NC's have been won by QB's who can tuck it and run and beat the DE around the corner if they have to.

BAMA won it with Mack Jones as a pocket passer, but they had a boat load of NFL receivers(DeVonte Smith, Metchie, Waddel and Billingsly) that year and Najee Harris at RB and a pretty good OL. It can be done. But everything else has to be just right too.

• Options

Just curious on your opinion ( and anyone else that cares) what would you think about using Gunner more than just garbage time ?? Have some designed plays for him like UF did when they first got Tebow. Would make rival Ds have to practice for Two QBs.

Good idea ?? Or just taking away snaps from Beck ?? P.S. On this line of thought people are concerned about a QB coming into the game cold. But if it’s a part of regular practices wouldn’t that greatly diminish the “cold” syndrome ?? And Both Beck and Gunner are by now Very familiar with the playbook. The ole ball bag Spurrier used a two QB system to great achievement much as I hate to credit him for Anything. Thoughts ??

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@navydawg

THe only time I would take my #1 QB out might be inside the 5 yard line where he would either hand it off or keep it himself. But that also telegraphs to the defense what your plans are. "Hey, they brought their running QB in, what do you think they're going to do?" Run right? Unless you are going to try to trick them and throw it. However, If I'm coaching, I'm not bringing in a guy in a pressure siutation whose been standing on the sideline,cold, and telling him to go throw it! That seems counter-intuitive. I want my best passer passing it, if that's what needs to be done.

THe bottom line is you play to your strengths and you consider their ability to stop the run. A running QB is dangerous when you know he's the regular passer too and you don't know which he will do. As in Bo Nix. When you eliminate the chances that a guy is coming off the bench to throw it on the goaline then you've given your defense a better chance for success. JMHO.

• Options

Thx for responding. And as usual your thoughts are very reasonable. Your probably right. But not to beat a dead horse. What if it’s a part of regular practices ? Wouldn’t that help alleviate the cold syndrome some ?

And also if I were in charge of decisions to do that, I wouldn’t tell or instruct my running QB, OK because your more of a running QB you’ve GOT to run it. I’d give him the option of running it, throwing it, or handing it off to a RB.

Now I Know you couldn’t do this with grossly inexperienced freshmen like our two new guys coming in. But Gunner has been at UGA for quite a while now, he should know the playbook thoroughly. We all Know he can run. So I’d let him practice with the 1s primarily throwing the ball. That and tutor him harder about how to read Defenses, which by now he should be at least pretty decent at that to already.

Again your probably right as rain. And I’m probably wrong Big time for even considering it. He Would have to run enough in enough games to make rival Ds think Well here comes the running QB. But wouldn’t it be a thing of beauty to see a rival D set up to prevent the run only to get their eyes stung out by a nice pass ?? 😀

And what would Really hurt them is to have some Designed runs for Beck only to be used though when he sees the opportunity from the rival D.

Beck is no SBV and never will be, that’s just not his body build, but he’s not a statue either. For his type body build he has pretty fair, not great, but pretty fair mobility.

I’m like you in that I don’t believe to much in gadget plays, trick plays that are only practiced a few times a year. That got us in trouble in this SECCG. But I think there Might be merit to something that’s practiced on a regular basis.

But all this is way over my pay grade as a fan !! 😀 Bobo and company have forgot more than I’ll ever know. Thanks again for your take. I like exploring What Ifs sometimes !! But in the end I think your right, you go with your known commodity. Why they’d Never hire me !! 😂 Take care my Bro. hope you have a great day and week !!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This may all be a moot point. We don't know what next year's team is gonna be, yet. They may go back to more of a Bennett style offense, with sprint-outs and designed QB runs, with a lot of RPO.

Or....they could roll out a more traditional pro-style offense with Beck [or, whoever]. For the record...I don't think so....but, it will depend on the rest of the offense and what their skill players' strengths are.

Remember...they're getting B-Rob back, next year [hopefully 100% healthy]. And, there's no telling what the Portal provides.

In any case...this is Kirby Smarts Georgia Bulldogs. They'll field a quality, competitive team...and, I for one, am looking forward to it, already. Lol

According to what i've been seeing and hearing, on The Paul Finebaum Show [SECN]....It looks like UGA and FLST Fans aren't the only ones looking forward to the Orange Bowl. This could very well, turn into a Co-Championship, before all is said and done.

Bama will win the Natty with a Texas sized beat down. They will beat Michigan, then destroy Texas in the NCG. That would make them the sole National Champion.

But, if Texas somehow squeezes it out against Bama in the Natty. Enter UGA/FSU in the conversation. One of those two teams could walk away with the AP/Coaches Poll...splitting the Championship.

I smell chaos and a few "firsts". Maybe, even a little mutiny among sportswriters, if all that happens.

I want to leave you with some "Food-for-Thought" (Lol)...

Why does Michigan's win over OSU count as a better win than UGA over Mizzou? Why does a 3-point loss to Alabama in a post season game, count as a worse loss, than TEX over Bama or Oklahoma over Texas...during the regular season?

I can understand not wanting another TCU type NCG...however, isn't Texas, TCU and Cincinnati in the same Conference? Why would a 1-loss Texas be any better than an undefeated Cincinnati or 1-loss TCU, in the Natty?

The best 4 Teams this year are UGA, Bama, FSU, Michigan. It's that simple.

They created the playoff system to give everybody an equal shot at the ring...yet, they lockout teams that can actually break the ceiling. And they do it, based on name branding, National hype and rosters...not the football games, themselves.

As long as there is zero transparency in how teams are selected for the CFP.....there will be "outrage" and accusations of Corruption. This is America....we decide Champions on the field...not in a darned smoke-filled room with a bunch of people in masks. Lol

• Options

Your absolutely right all the way around. I was just running the ole “test” signal like on TV in the ole days !! 😂 Your answers ( and reddawg1) are spot on. And bottom line about the Natty. UGA & FSU were Both Royally Screwed to accommodate a whining, belly aching, pouting Saban. All there is to it.

A HUGE Segment of CFB, Especially ESPN want him ( at all costs) to be King of CFB for at least a century, After he retires. 😂. It’s perverse but True.