Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What comes next for Georgia quarterback room after Carson Beck returns, Dylan Raiola flips

2»

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dawgs On Top!

Beck is great and Stockton is great. Puglisi has the right metal to be a Dawg!

Compete Baby...Compete!

• Options
    traildawg51traildawg51 Posts: 46 ✭✭✭ Junior

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it curious that Raiola decided to make a last minute trip to Nebraska when the rumour started that Beck might be returning next season? Then, he announces his commitment to Nebraska immediately following the announcement by Beck that he is returning for his senior season. It is great for us that Beck wants to be a "cog" in the Dawg machine.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe both decisions, Beck deciding to return for the 2024 season and Raiola deciding to back out of another commitment, will ultimately benefit the QB room at UGA. There is now a more clear line of succession (1-Beck, 2-Stockton, 3-Puglisi) that will allow each one to focus on their development at their specific level, but still maintain the element of competition. This should also eliminate the kind of drama that creates a toxic atmosphere where the entire program tends to suffer. Any advantage that Raiola may now have over Puglisi will be quickly diminished as Puglisi begins his development in the top tier program at UGA, and practicing against the best defense in the country on a daily basis. Raiola's development will be severely limited at N'braska. I was very impressed with Puglisi when he never even blinked (as many of you rightly pointed out in this forum) when Raiola announced his intentions to go to UGA. Dawg Nation has plenty to be excited about when it comes to the QB situation for not only 2024, but for several years to come!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

Wish Raiola the best of luck but he really is a high school kid who has never thrown a single pass in college.Putting Raiola, an unproven, in the same article as a guy who just led us to a 12-1 record and has bided his time for 3 years putting in all the work and sweat is a travesty.

Some sense of self awareness is needed not just by the writer of this article but also with a lot of these recruits and their parents. The Manning kid was suppossed to be all that and he is 3rd team at Texas. It takes time and work and effort to be great. Even Stafford su cked as a freshman and threw as many picks as tds.

Bide your time, learn, get better and then get rewarded. Like Beck!

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe Carson made for himself what will prove to have been a very smart decision. It also benefits his team, but, then again, he's a team player.

Who's that rolling down the track? It's a cog-in-the-machine that's Red and Black. When he gets to the NFL he'll be sharpened by iron and developed like hell.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    StiffneckStiffneck Posts: 82 ✭✭✭ Junior

Most likely the biggest reason Beck didn’t declare for the NFL draft is he was able to get the $4 million in a NIL deal.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In the realm of college dreams where so often commitment takes flight

Enter Carson Beck, crafting his narrative, after waiting his opportunity, game by game,

In ever clear sight!

Once lured by the TIDE, where powerhouse glory gleamed.

Yet a DGD’s purpose, in his heart did brightly beam!

In the Red and Black, where NFL prospects entwine.

Carson, like Stetson, Murray, Greene and Fromm….Zeier, Tarkington, Stafford, Shockley, Carter and Belue,

A legend in the line.

Just one of eleven cogs in another powerhouse TEAM.

More Leader than QB,

With an ever-grander ambition just beginning to be seen.

So Dawg Nation Fans await… HOPE is in the air!

For Carson is committed, another year he did declare.

While making Christmas dreams come true, destiny did call.

Committed to fill his purpose,

Where another undefeated season, SECC, Natty and maybe a Heisman enthralls.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The DR kid thinks he's the man to build a new dynasty at Nebraska. GO for it! Me thinks when the winds change and blow a different direction, he will be making another amusing childlike post in a year or two about his next trivial pursuit. Glad we have who we have in the fold. They understand what the word committment means!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's incredibly hard to know how these 4 and 5 star QB recruits will actually end up doing once they hit the field. The details and intricacies of the college QB position require a unique individual to grasp, understand, and be able to quickly make decisions under pressure. The QB position requires more patience as well, since there is usually only one guy every season. A lot of hype about one QB turns into disappointment in his performance and expectations unmet. We've seen someone like Stetson, a walk-on, outperform almost any 5 star in college football.,

Bottom line is: you never know what you've got when it comes to a highly recruited QB prospect. They could easily turn out to be a dud when a walk-on or 3 star nobody ends up being the much better QB.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

You're absolutely right. You can go back as far as when Freshmen were allowed to play.....and look at every elite QB's Freshman season. [Murray, Eason, Fromm, Stafford, Greene," Air" Zaire, Belue, etc.]...all of em had challenging Freshman and/or Sophomore seasons.

It's expected that, that will be the case, regardless of the individual. Just because of all the moving parts, knobs and switches in the offense, that a QB needs to master.

IMO. It takes a finite [varies with individual] amount of time and repetition before he has control of the offense and knows "when to hold em...and when to fold em"....how and when to wield the big guns...how to read defenses and set up blocking scheme to pick up a blitz or take advantage of a weakness.

On the field...the offense is a living, breathing animal. In these new complex NFL style offenses...the plays are designed to be fluid and adjustable at the LOS...on the fly. Kinda like Sandlot ball...only, much more technical and complex. Focused on attacking the part of the field, that the defenseleaves leave vulnerable.

There isn't a Kid in the Country, that can stroll on Campus in Athens...and pick up the QB position in 8 months [now]. Just imagine...early enrollment for Freshmen hasn't been around that long...[to me, Lol]. Before that...Freshmen rarely arrived on Campus before June....which gave em about 2½ months to master the offense.

A Coordinator can simplify the offense for a Freshman QB....but, at what expense to the team?.

Nah...UGA's set. Move along li'l Dylan...there are "men" standing in line behind you, dying to get to UGA. Got no time for your foolishment. Lol

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

Guess nobody ever taught him "not to burn bridges". Which isn't surprising, considering the number of times his family moved him from "opportunity to opportunity"...I mean high school to high school. Oh yeah...then there's the rubber stamp commitment. Lol

But, I digress. The kid could transfer back in 2 years. Same for Arch Manning. Nothing is predictable in this DIV1 CFB Environment...especially roster movement at the QB position.

IMO...That makes what Kirby has done with UGA's roster over the last 4 years...all the more amazing. And, the fact he hasn't won "Head Coach of the Year"....over "Football" in general....astounding and wreaking of Yankee media bias.

This IS Professional Football. Not the best business model...but, that's what it is. This year did it foe me. Lol. They can give it any acronym they want to give it....CFBL(?)...NFCL(?)...but, CFL is taken. Lol

It's so close to the [old] NFL Model...it's hard to tell the difference anymore. Even the officiating su_ks in the same way. Lol

"It's a business"...no, "it's a game".....NO, "it's Entertainment". Lol...let me know when THEY decide. I wish all this money was flowing when I was 8 or 9 years old. I would've lived in the gym. I woulda' got mine...guaranteed. Lol...see what kind of commitment I would've been...huh.