Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Opinion: Georgia ‘opt-in’ culture in stark contrast with fragmented Florida State

SystemSystem Posts: 10,826 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageOpinion: Georgia ‘opt-in’ culture in stark contrast with fragmented Florida State

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — The contrast between Kirby Smart and Mike Norvell was as stark as one might expect on Friday morning.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SwingerDawgSwingerDawg Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

UGA and FSU is team make is very different. UGA team is young compared to FSU. Other than Brock and Mims there aren’t many first or early round draft picks.

FSU on the other hand has 2 first rounders and another handle full of possible early round picks. In the age of NIL and “ I am about me” why should they play in a game that doesn’t matter. They gain nothing and risk injury. If my son was slotted in the first 3 rounds of the draft or could make more in NIL at another school I would have him opt-out.

UGA on the other hand has a younger team and they have an opportunity to show they can keep or get more time in the field next season.

The mass opt-out was inevitable when the transfer portal and the playoff were created and now with the twice transfer rule we basically have free- agency every with no salary cap every year. Hell Etinene might be playing for Bama in 2 yrs. It’s about the $$$ not the game!

• truthtellertruthteller Posts: 233 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2023

For those of us that saw the press conference, it was very apparent that Kirby is fighting some sort of sickness. He looked visibly uncomfortable at times. I hated it for him, especially during the time when he was taking the photo op with Norvell. He probably would have given a year's salary to be somewhere else. LOL

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawg61 Here is the story on what Bill Hancock, the executive director, told me on the CFP teleconference ...

“It is (four) best,” Hancock said. “Most deserving is not anything in the committee’s lexicon. They are to rank the best teams in order, that’s what they do — just keep that word in mind, ‘best’ teams.”

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nicely done.

The committee and ESPH (sorry for being redundant) are all about the tv show ratings. They pretend to be fair and/or pick the best four, but adjust the rules and criteria at will and/or willy-nilly to achieve the desired outcome. This is by design and is intentional.

If they're being truthful all of the teams in the playoff are relieved they don't have to face Georgia.

Go, Dawgs!

• SwingerDawgSwingerDawg Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

The fix was in to keep FSU out since before their QB got hurt. The committee had to get have an SEC team in and when UGA lost it exposed their agenda they had to find a way to justify putting Bama in and if Bama is in Texas has to be in. The committee has turn CFB from a sport I loved to wrestling, it’s not about wins and losses it’s about money.

We should be honest and call the playoffs and exhibition because wins and losses doesn’t matter.

And isn’t amazing how all the ESPN talking heads except for Booger all suddenly agree FSU should be left out. ESPN is Killing CFB!

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, if that is the standard, i.e., that they take the four best, then the committee screwed the pooch!

How anyone could say that UT is a better team than UGA (see their loss to OU) or, for that matter, that based on their SOS, how could UM be considered a better team than UGA!? They wanted Bama in because they needed an SEC team in the playoffs (thanks to Saban and Slive) and Bama beat UGA (by just three points) and, because they systematically kept UT above Bama in the rankings all year (based on their head to head), they had to put them in as well.

UGA was ranked #1 all year long by both polls AND the CFP committee.....and then they drop from #1 to #6 because of a three point loss to a team that had to beat Auburn on the last play of the game to even make the SECCG!!? If anything, UGA should still be in instead of UM or UT!!!

Just unbelievable and truly not justifiable!

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

I'm not disputing that, they indeed said all of those contradictory things...just not not all in the same interview time-space. But, if you put the pieces together...that's the picture they presented. UGA and FSU's injury situations were treated equally, when it's clear...that wasn't the case.

And, Bill did say that "taking a teams injuries into account, in finding the 4 best teams...is one of the CFPC's written criteria". IMO....that was as you say not done "fairly" across the board.

So, how can you be sure they got it right....when their competence and integrity are questionable from the start?

That's all I'm saying. I have a feeling...a lot more is going to come out on how the Committee, debated the CFP4 [6]....and it's going to create one helluva stir. Lol....unless, of course, money talks...then, the BS will walk.

Truth dies in the darkness of silence.

Lolol...you're absolutely right....Wrestling, Figure Skating, Gymnastics...take your pick.

Why do you think.....they went with a 2, 4 or 12 team playoff, vice a real 32 team playoff based on the same criteria every other level of Football in the world uses? They can't easily manipulate that system.

But, we little people need to accept what's presented to us as "honest", as if our skulls are void of grey matter. If it's on CNN or ESPN...by God, it must be true (tic).

• Georgia67Georgia67 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭ Junior

Tone is set from the top. The winning, family culture is a direct reflection of Coach Smart’s leadership. We are blessed!

Go Dawgs!

edited December 2023

"Well, if that is the standard, i.e., that they take the four best, then the committee screwed the pooch!"_____@Bdw3184

Boy...you spoke the truth, "there". Lol...and EVERYBODY knows it.

I'm here in Knoxville spending Christmas with the Family....and, i've heard the same thing, from UT Fans...from here to Gatlinburg and Cherokee. It's no secret to "the people".

It's The Corporate Media [responsible for reporting said info], that seems to be the only Helen Keller's in this whole situation. Wonder why?. We have the most twisted, "disinterested", "corrupt" "Organized News Media" in the world. They'll run cover for anybody if the money's right or, it suits their agenda.

And, NO....I'm not saying Dawg Nation or Mike Griffith are part of it. I think they are outliers that don't want to rock the boat too hard, cause apparently they don't have an investigative reporter to back up their claims.

I.e., they can't state the obvious without proof...but, we darn sure can.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

Kirby Smart would admit to you, me, or anyone else for that matter? (and he would do so very candidly too) that especially he, himself has grown by huge amount of leaps, and massive bounds in the "doing the job" as the head football coach there at Georgia, in Athens BY A WHOLE, WHOLE, WHOLE LOT since his taking of the job, back at the very end of the 2015 season, and then headed into the year of 2016. He has grown into what he is doing right now this minute as good as (or probably even WAY, WAY, WAY, WAY, WAY better) than 99.999999999% of all of the other college head football coaches across the entire nation.

• BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Respectfully disagree. I truly believe that if UGA had beaten Bama that FSU would have been 4th. That was their plan. They played the “ deserving” card all the while knowing they still put FSU at 4 on the next to last eeek. That was after they lost QB#1

the committee had a few scenarios.

1 UGA wins and FSU WINS- FSU in

2 UGA wins and FSU loses. UT IN

3 UGA loses, FSU loses and UT LOSES- UGA #4

4 UGA loses, FSU wins, UT loses FSU IN

5 They never expected to have to use plan #5 But they prepared us with the deserving comment as “justifier”.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike, to say the process isn't meant to be fair is just another way of saying there is no standard. It's one thing to say it wasn't conducted fairly, but to assert that fairness isn't even the objective renders the entire process - to use a popular term this time of year - meaningless.

Unfortunately, the committee's actions validated what should have been an absurd take. There was no standard applied to the selection process. They just did whatever the hell they felt like doing. Thus, Bama was shooed in on the "look how good they are" argument while Georgia was left saying "but look how good we are" while getting pushed out the door.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ha. Well, at least you're consistent in your nihilism. Maybe my first post doesn't apply as directly to you as I first thought, but it's still an argument that I think needs to be made a lot more often and prominently than it is.

You are absolutely right. We are blessed.

And, I don't need a darned Committee of mental midgets to tell me that a team that never faced UGA is the best team. I'll tip my hat to Saban and Co.. They deserve a nod for their ['23 season] turnaround.

But, IMO...they never reached the lofty heights of the Bulldogs....even with a 3 point victory against the maimed UGA Dawgs in a POSTSEASON contest.

The other 2 teams, in question...Bama & Texas...had in-season losses [nearly 2 or 3]. Texas had the worst loss against an slightly above average Oklahoma.

CFP???...I'm over it. If UGA beats FSU as bad as I think they will....they are still Champions in my book....and Kirby is Coach of the Year.