Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Heisman Trophy favorites: Carson Beck atop list with SEC quarterback rivals

2»

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 6

I...don't...give...a...crap...about...the loss in the SECCG. Get that? No excuses. Don't care....it happens.

But, it shouldn't have cost UGA a chance at the Natty.

Again....see ESPN's latest FPI Power Ranking.

The Dawgs haven't been ranked #1 in that particular ranking, all year long. In fact....I don't think they've been ranked anywhere near #1, over the last 2 or 3 years....in ESPN's FPI. "That's" telling...IMO.

They moved UGA "up" to #1 and Michigan "down" to #2....THIS WEEK! What I want to know....is, why aren't YOU and every other so-called Bulldog Fan, raising some hell about it.

In fact....if UGA fans were a little more vocal about being screwed back in 2018...they probably wouldn't be dealing with this injustice, now.

They're not scared of you...they're scared of Bama fans and Texas money. Leaving UGA out, didn't give em more than a few minutes of pause. They expect you to slink away quietly, like so many other times, before. I'm not doin' it. Not this time.

I've heard more common sense and indignation about it, from other SEC Team's fans, than our own. If you don't till the soil...how do expect anything to grow, but, weeds?.

FYI....I watched the Bama vs Michigan game, in a hotel bar, with a bunch of Michigan fans [with my UGA Shirt and Hat, on...Lol]. They ALL thought UGA should've been there...but, were glad they weren't. Everybody, but, Dawg Fans, seem to "know".

I'm not grinding the tired old Bama or OSU injury axe. It's the CFP Politics, I have a problem with. And, if you're a true Dawg & Football Fan....it should bother you, too.

Nothing says, it won't happen again. If not to UGA...then, somebody else. And, I don't like it.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawg61 I will say Arian was open deep and Carson underthrew him -- that turned into a field goal instead of a TD --- 4-point swing in a 3-point game.

• Options
    edited January 6

Yep....he's overthrowing alot.

I think it's because...for whatever reason....he doesn't trust all of his receivers to make a play on the ball....yet. I.e., catch it or break up an interception, if need be. Be physical, downfield.

I would assume McClendon teaches that, so, it must be a lack of trust. I notice that most QB's are like that. They have their favorites. Bennett had Jackson and Mitchell....Daniels had Pickens and Burton. IMO...Beck trusted Bowers and Bennett....and, that's about it. Maybe, Jack-Saint, as well.

There's no telling, which receivers he develops chemistry with, next year ['24]. But, I hope he picks the healthy ones. Lol

• Options

@MikeGriffith

I misread "under throw" as "over throw"....I guess, cause that was my observation.

But, yes, I remember that under throw. I haven't been able to watch that game, again...just yet. Lol

Is it possible, that Beck thought Arian was supposed to "sit", rather than "release"? In other words....a miscommunication on Arian's part...or a misread by Beck?

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 6
  • Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some interesting takes. I think I agree with both 61 and MG. Some.

MG is right we had a bad day. But why did we have a bad day? The players made a few mistakes liked the offsides and then the missed fg. The fumble led to a td for them I think. It was a huge mistake in a close game. There's 6 points on our mistakes

Referee missed the review of the play that ended up leading to 7 for them but I give the refs 3 of the 7 because we still could have stopped them. That's 9 points.

Yes, we had some injuries and they are part of the game however our best player did not look himself and neither did Ladd. Of course we were playing a freshman at ILB because our best lb (not this year but last) was out - JDJ.

Now our OL blocking was poor in the middle (left guard) and we didn't do a good job with pass protection. Our OL just did not play well imo. No quarterback is going to look good if he is getting knocked around.

Now some other things that the referees missed were the constant holds by their cornerbacks on our wrs and tes. These were not called and we were not ready with bunch formations, better designed motion plays to get our playmakers open. Sure we can blame the referees for not calling defensive holding but we didn't gameplan well either. That to me is on the OC.

Now on defense we just didn't have the depth to stop them and we needed to blitz earlier in the game to counter our disadvantage on the line of scrimmage. Instead of spying we should of brought heat like Michigan did. It is a roll of the dice when you do it but if you don't eventually someone gets open. Our DL got tired and it showed. The snap counts for guys like Stack were too high. The scheme here is on the DC not our players. We played into their strength and into our weakness (DL depth).

Carson is light years better than Milroe. It really is not close. Carson should of been in New York this year as the #4. Remember Carson put up those stats of his without his 2 best wrs being healthy for large chunks of the year. Milroe has better wrs and so does OSU and Washington. Carson would pass for 4500-5000 yards if he had the guys those other 3 qbs have. It's just not comparable at all.

I don't know why we cannot get a bona fide 5 star or 2 to come here at wr. It is a great mystery. Kirby has shown he will chuck it. I personally think it is better to be balanced and have great running backs in college so you can control the game. Our wr corps will be great for Georgia next year and we are solid at te Our running backs (all predicitions are based on key guys not being injured) next year with Etienne, Frazier, and the Robinsons will be great. Frazier and Etienne are dudes. This will open up our passing game even more.

Our linebackers will be young next year but uber talented. Justin Williams is the real deal. DL should be better than this year and top 5 in the country.

Future is bright. 2 things can be true at the same time. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Time to remove the tinfoil had and move on to 2024 @BigDawg61 lolz

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Good piece @MikeGriffith. we can agree on a couple things; but I enjoyed the read. Keep these kinds of pieces coming this offseason please?

• Options

G-Day can’t get here soon enough !! Maybe Then the storylines can change and the 2023 SECCG will be put to rest in the record books where it belongs. Just about the time My scab is starting to heal up here comes yet another article loaded with references to that game. A game that countless Dawgs fans are Still hurting about, and are Very sensitive about.

All I Really see from rehashing it over and over is causing allot of arguments between Dawgs fans here that I Love and Respect. GUILTY as charged, ME, Yes I’ve more than played a roll in keeping it going to by commenting on the articles. Y’all Please forgive me.

Let’s All Look Forward !! Let’s talk about the Future of Dawgs football. That game is Done. It’s Over. It’s in the books. I Respectfully Request, No PLEAD with All DN writers to do their level best to Move Forward. Bury that game in the record books Please !! It just causes strife between Dawgs fans. And Again I’ve been a part of that and I sincerely apologize.

I Want and Need to look Forward to 2024. And I think I can say that for Most Dawgs fans. Rehashing it over and over won’t change the records and is not conducive to healing. Go Dawgs !!

• Options

Hey my fellow Dawgs fans if Kirby couldn’t add but one more player from the TP, what position do you see the most need. QB, WR, DT, DE, OLB, ILB, CB, Safety You can Only pick One position. I’d like to see what the consensus is.

For Me it would be a game changing DT. A guy that can plug the middle up vs the run, And create Havoc in the pass rush. Another Jaylen Carter or Devonte Wyatt or Jordan Davis type guy. P.S. Wouldn’t it be So cool if this dude from SC turns out to be that guy, Or even better Naz Stackhouse ramps up his game ??!!??

• Options

If I removed my "had"...how would I be able to communicate with people like you? Lmao

• Options

You're definitely on the right track, Navy. They need to find their next Jordan Davis and Jalen Carter to dominate the middle.

When you don't have "that guy" in the interior....your LB's better be athletic and smart. UGA seems to have that part covered. For now. I would feel a lot better about it, if the had more quality depth at that position.

I'm glad Stackhouse and Brinson are coming back. That's all I can say. Just hope they remain healthy.

• Options

Did Brinson announce he’s coming back to ? I saw where Stack announced he’s coming back, but I missed Brinson. I thought he’s Yet to announce. Anyway to me that’s the biggest need right now.

After a high quality DT I’d hope for a very versatile DE or OLB. We got burned on the edge quite a bit last year. But even with just the guys on board right now today it makes this ole fan happy !! Cause You know Kirby and Staff are gonna push these guys into greatness they didn’t even know they had.

On a different note I’m looking forward to seeing what they can do with Jackson the WR from USC. He’s kind of cocky talking but I’d rather have that than a lack of confidence. I think in the long term he’ll be OK. He Knows this is his last opportunity while in college to make a good impression on the NFL.

He stated very clearly he’s buying into the Kirby/UGA culture so if he was sincere about that and puts in the hard work he could end up being a valuable asset to the team. Hope you have a happy, healthy, and great 2024 Bro. !! Can’t wait till G Day gets here !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options

Personally....I think Kirby will roll out another masterpiece in '24....with names we haven't heard mentioned since '20, '21 or '22. 3 or 4 "playmakers" always seem to come from nowhere....every Bulldog season going back to when I was a kid.

This year....Dillon Bell, CJ Smith and a few others....we're pleasant surprises. Can't wait to see who rises from anonymity in '24....and, '25....and '26. Lol

Honestly...."quality personnel", is the least of my concern, with UGA. Injuries have followed em for a few years, now. I'd like to see what they look like, when they're all 100% healthy for an entire season.

Lol....My gawd!....can you imagine what they would've looked like, in '23, with a 100% healthy team? We got a little glimpse here and there....but, with Bowers, McConkey, Mims, Dumas-Johnson, Bullard and several other walking wounded, fighting the injury bug all year.....we never got the Full Monty.

The Orange Bowl was pretty danged close, though. Lol

• Options

Oh Man !!! I’d have Loved to seen a fully healthy 2023 Team !! And that’s Why I think they were The Best. But that’s done and done. Now It’d be Awesome if the injury bug stayed away pretty much for this 2024 team. I’m like you if the injury bug will be minimal I’m thinking This 2024 team will be scorching hot !!

I’m confident their gonna rock the SEC. The main proviso IS the injury bug really. Even young, I’m trusting Kirby and staff to have Em ready to play !! G Day will give us glimpses of glory or should. Go Dawgs !!