Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Alabama safety Caleb Downs plans to enter transfer portal

13»

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep. You are spot on my Brother. I think the vast difference is Saban only cares about Saban. Where as Kirby cares about the players and their families. You probably read this to, but quite a few years back some disgruntled Bama players Plural did an expose on Saban.

At that time it was written off by most media as just these players feeling snubbed. But I’ve often wondered about the validity of it. In one part of several **** things about Saban. They talked about how a player had passed out from heat exhaustion, said Saban stepped over the player’s body and never even looked down, less alone asked him how he was doing.

NO I can’t prove that as being valid. But as Arrogant as he is I can see it. I have a mental image of it in my mind. Now Kirby pushes His players and his coaches and himself HARD !! But I just can’t visualize Kirby Smart stepping over a fallen player and moreover not even ask how he’s feeling.

You can get a little whiff of the Real Saban in how he treats the media. Back several, several years ago, a little female reporter was trying to interview him and he treated her so Rude I thought she was gonna cry. Some will say Well if she’s gonna be in the business she needs to have a tougher skin. While there’s some truth to that, it can Also be said that as a Professional HC of a major football program he doesn’t have to act like a complete azz when being interviewed either !!

No not ALL Bama fans are arrogant and obnoxious, but they Certainly have more than their fair share. So bad that on another Dawgs site I used to visit, Bama FANS would come on there and try to Teach the game of football Lol !! As if being a Fan of a winning program made Them experts of the game by proxy Lol !!

After Saban came to Bama and starting having Allot of success, Bama fans became actually More intolerable than UF fans when Spurrier was there !! Sure when our Dawgs are doing well, Yeah I chest thump, I do my share of boasting, BUT I have internal limits set on that.

Just like Life football runs in cycles, you can be high on the mountain today and down in the valley the next. So I try not to just go completely overboard when our Dawgs are winning with the bragging and chest thumping.

I Also admire and respect a team that plays us clean ( No help from the Refs) and doesn’t play cheap shot dirty football. Like a dirty hit on one of our best players to try to take him out of the game for example. I’m a Dawgs Only fan. But an example of a team I admire is Mizzou.

They gave our Dawgs all they wanted and then some for two years in a row. I can’t remember if their on our 2024 schedule or not have to go back and see. But regardless I’m thinking they’ll be a tough team in the SEC again this year.

I don’t have anything Personal against DeBoer but I hope he and Bama are an utter Fail. As that can only serve to help our Dawgs. I’ll say this in closing, the folks back in WA are sure angry and disappointed with him !! Not so much Because he left, but the Way he left. They feel he sold them down the river. In Their shoes I can’t say as I blame them !!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 17

Yep. Agree. And it would be mutually beneficial, for him and UGA. I don’t know of any school where he’ll get Better coaching and preparation for the NFL. If he just stops a moment and looks at all the players that have gone to the NFL, that should tell him the whole story.

And DeBoer and WA were known for their O not their D. Maybe Kirby can reel him in. I’ve got a feeling in my very ample gut that he will be coming to UGA. We’ll see !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 17

I was talking about, his being fired as AD....not, HC. He held the positions of HC and AD simultaneously, till he turned it over to Goff in '88. Goff was His hire....as was Mark Richt. He recognized Richt's leadership ability and respected his offensive mind.

But, yeah....it kinda shocked me when they fired Dooley. Sometime, after the Richt hire and subsequent SECC.

They replaced him with a guy, that had CMR doing his job for him...vice focusing on Championships. Damon "something"...or, "something" Damon. Lol...anyway....he was fired for an alcohol-related incident and scandal. THAT...did not surprise me.

Incidentally....it was after Damon was replaced....and the new AD, took over a lot of the duties CMR was handling....UGA took off on a tear, being a hair's breath away from a Natty in 2012.

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

question - How could Downs transfer to us, so late in the semester?

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 18

That's a great question but from my experience with college athletes they will find a way. Special tutors, make up sessions whatever. When a guy as talented as Caleb is available the administration jumps through hoops for them.

Just for comparisons sake please note that the administration does this for 'genius' level students who have to attend or go overseas whatever. This is done regularly for 'special' cases so not just athletes.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If your HC departs....you're given 30 days [I think], to decide whether or not you want to stay. When Saban left...that opened the door for all Bama Players.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guess I answered the wrong question. My brain was thinking about drop add classes at UGA. I think it is possible to drop adds after this weekend but then it becomes a very difficult case by case basis. You answered the original question about the portal but beyond that they still have to enroll in classes to play Spring Ball. I believe the portal opens up after spring and their is no requirement to be in classes before summer workouts. Not sure on the rules about who can work out with the team but I think you have to be a student who is enrolled in some minimum number of classes/credits.