Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What comes next for Georgia football after Caleb Downs picks Ohio State

13»

Comments

• Options
    FishingDawgFishingDawg Posts: 37 ✭✭ Sophomore

Two opportunities and no cigar. The boy just doesn't like UGA. It's his loss, not the Dawgs. I do not wish him good luck in his new venture because he will be helping one of the enemies just like he did at Ala.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think the simplest answer to the headline is that the Dawgs just keep on Dawggin. He was great for Alabama, sure. He’ll make a pointless splash at OSU (from a team perspective). Won’t affect us one iota.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 20

There is no doubt he could've and probably would've "earned" starter, leader etc etc. But the key word is earn. At UGA players need to earn it (playing time, leadership) every day/every practice/every practice rep. That is a grind for a player of Downs' caliber that wants to play, get his money and move on to the NFL ASAP. In your words, "given 7 or 8 months to acclimate", that's a day in day out grind for 7 or 8 months. Pro's look out for #1. It is a business. Downs is already there.

When you are that talented it is easy to lead on the field. Your talent pops off the film. But it takes a lot of effort to be a leader off the field. Jalen Carter was a big time leader on the field but rarely brought up as a leader off it by CKS. It is just easier to make your bread and live the good life.

Justin Fields could've earned starter and leader at UGA his second year. He was NOT ready to be a starter in his 1st year. Fromm's experience made him the better and safer player to play. CKS likes safe play at QB. His talent would've pushed Fromm aside in Fields' 2nd year. Fromm's QBR declined 30 pts in his 3rd/last year at UGA. Fromm didn't play that well. Fields would've supplanted him. Fields QBR was 40 pts higher than Fromm's in '19. But Fields wanted the guarantee of being the starter so he left for OSU.

Downs is a made man. He would've been asked to do more at UGA than he will be at OSU.

Sayin will have less and lower rated competition to beat out at UGA than at OSU. Sayin has 2 more years of eligibility than Stockton. There is no 5* (Raiola or Noland) in the '24 class to compete with. Sayin was the #1 rated QB in the '24 class. He was also named MVP at the Elite 11 QB competition. Both Raiola and Puglisi competed at Elite 11 and were outplayed by MVP Sayin. He has generally been rated as the better prospect, coming out of HS, than any QB on the UGA roster. I don't think anyone could say Sayin is behind Puglisi. As for Stockton, Sayin has more eligibility and can replace him when he moves on if he cannot beat him out in 2 years.

• Options
    Billy21Billy21 Posts: 196 ✭✭✭ Junior

Based on Downs decision, what impact does the have on UGA?? From my understanding, Georgia was a third option for Caleb Downs. Why is that? What answers are there to explain why one of the best potential safety’s chose OSU over his previous coach at a school that would complement his style of play??

seriously I need to know how UGA didn’t land this kid and what affect does that have on UGA recruiting moving forward. I just see it as a big loss and would like an explanation or even a theory.

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

I have to think it boiled down to competition and playing time. I’m willing to bet Downs was all but guaranteed to start at OSU, but at UGA he was still gonna have to compete for PT. With all the talent Georgia has at safety, PT/starting is not guaranteed. Just ask DGD Dumas Johnson,

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 20

You hinge your argument on a lot of assumptions about Downs. And I don't know why people keep bringing up Fields. Completely different situation, as Downs will be entering his sophomore season having already proven himself as a team leader, if only on the field. And your own example of Jalen Carter shows why being a leader off the field doesn't have to be everyone's contribution to the team (even assuming Downs never would have been one).

As for the quarterbacks, Sayin would be entering Georgia having to compete with two guys who as of now would have a leg up on him. Stockton has been in the program a while, and Puglisi is already on campus and impressing. It's possible Sayin could beat one or even both of them out; the point is, the competition is there. I think you put too much emphasis on the recruiting comparison, especially considering the extent to which Sayin's rating jumped after the one camp. If he's really that good, if his star rating really means that much, he shouldn't be worried about competing at Ohio State either.

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

One thing I do know, is if UGA were to play OSU in the playoff next year, Coach Smart would seek Downs out to either console or congratulate him, because that’s the kind of person and coach he is.

• Options
    DawggieDawggie Posts: 70 ✭✭✭ Junior

Maybe, just maybe this guy’s name will never be mentioned again on DawgNation. He apparently loves getting Dawg fans to act like his own personal fanboys.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t think it would be malicious towards Downs to say NIL probably played a big role. It’s the going thing these days. With Many but not All by any stretch, it seems to be The top consideration.

Plus I don’t really know the history on this but many fans have talked about a possible grudge against UGA for not recruiting his brother Josh in the past.

Lastly if Kirby stays true to history since he’s been at UGA you just don’t come in and Tell him Hey I Know I’m a starter. No you Have to compete against the other guys. There’s a good possibility that OSU Promised that he’d start right out the gate Regardless of other players there.

No sarcasm at all, but rather in an attempt to help you feel better. UGA didn’t really “Lose” him as he had not stated or alluded to coming to the Dawgs. You don’t lose what you never had. And Kirby has the consensus #1 Recruiting Class based on most recruiting agencies. The guys he’s landed through the TP seem to be solid gets, and he’s not done yet.

Yeah it’d been nice to get Downs, but we’re not gonna get All the great players. It’s just how it is. But look at all the great players He and his staff Did get !! This 2024 Dawgs team is Very, Very solid and should be able to compete against Any team in CFB.

Plus think of our coaching staff, Dawgs have in my mind ( and Allot of folks even outside the fan base agree) The best coaching staff. Kirby and staff will take the players very talented players we Do have and coach them up to the highest standards.

What would be Great is if we could add more Quality Depth to the Defensive Line and OLBs. The Dawgs Secondary is Very solid without Downs.

• Options
    BigTenEatsFartsBigTenEatsFarts Posts: 147 ✭✭✭ Junior

He decided to go for money and individual awards over winning championships in college or the pros. OSU wins lots of awards and has high draft picks but few college championships and with all the probowlers, a shockingly low amount of OSU alumni win super bowls

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What argument? What assumptions? By default, Downs' NIL deal makes him the alpha dog at OSU. Whether he wanted to earn it or not, he's it. You know that doesn't fly at UGA. You have to earn it every day. That is the UGA standard. Maybe he will earn it everyday. But it was handed to him when he signed that NIL at OSU. With an older, equally decorated, equally talented MStarks at UGA there is a chance he never would earn alpha dog status this season. Never said he couldn't or wouldn't be a leader. But the standard and competition for leadership will be higher and harder at UGA than at OSU. There is no MStarks at OSU. There is no defensive HC or TRob at OSU either to demand his best. OSU was the easier route to take.

You are then saying that, if NIL was not THE determining factor, that Downs thought the new OSU DB's coach (that he met thursday) and the OSU staff would develop his skills better than the UGA staff and the coach he's had for the last year? And that he thought he'd stand a better chance to win a championship at OSU vs UGA? If it is not personal (UGA vs Downs), not NIL, not having to work harder at UGA then it must be a better chance of winning and being developed for the NFL at OSU. Not much else left.

The Fields comparison is appropriate regardless of level of experience or accomplishment. Fields was guaranteed the starting position. You obviously forgot the story of incumbent OSU 5* QB Tate Martell. He was told there would be an open competition for the position. He transferred before they ever reached spring practice. It was clear. Same with Downs. Handed alpha dog from day 1. You don't get handed it at UGA. In fact, if you are THAT good, you get pushed harder to see how good you can be.

He may turn out to be the biggest leader ever. But shying away from playing at UGA and all the associated benefits tells me it was all about the money or he wasn't up to the putting out at the expected UGA standard every day.

I don't think Sayin is worried about competition. There will be competition any place he goes. But to say Puglisi would have an appreciable advantage after 3 wks on campus is a reach. A week of good practice could easily level that playing field. To compare CT HS football at the private school level to CA HS football is also a reach. Puglisi comes from a 400 student HS in one of the smallest states in the country. I could go into population, the number of HS players, the CT vs CA players playing at the CFB level. But it sounds like you don't want to hear any of that. I can tell you that I am pretty familiar with CT HS football. Probably the only person on this forum that has played HS football in the NE (including CT) . Suffice is to say CT HS football at the private school level isn't preparing any QB to play at an SEC level after 3 weeks on campus. The playing field is level between Puglisi and any QB that comes into the team this year.

• Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

I wonder if actually pursuing and obtaining a university degree factors into the selection process and decision of which school to attend? CFB might as well be its own business, a semipro league, detached from educational institutions. CFB has lost one of its most important identities and values, that is providing an education rather than money and fame. It is now owned and operated by the Market. It is all about self-promotion.

• Options
    WoodrowWoodrow Posts: 86 ✭✭✭ Junior

The was a pure money grab plain and simple. So you ask me what do we do @Kconnorriley we keep on chopping wood and go to war with the kids that want to be here. I am by no means downplaying the loss but at this point it is what it is. KIrby and staff will take what they have and march towards their goals. We will also go out their and continue to recruit. I think at this point myself and others and kind of done with the Downs stories, he tunred us down twice, so be it. He will watch us win a third with Kirby and the team and life will go on.