Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia wide receivers coach Bryan McClendon hired by Tampa Bay Buccaneers

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited February 17 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia wide receivers coach Bryan McClendon hired by Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Georgia will have an opening at the wide receiver position, as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have hired Bryan McClendon to be the team’s Passing Game Coordinator. ESPN’s Adam Schefter was the first to report the news.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The coaching carousel is in full mode again. Lost a good one. Kirby is well prepared for this I am sure.

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    David1David1 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 17

Time to give Hines Ward a chance.

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

I would be interested in reading someone's take on the Hines Ward option. Some pros and cons...anyone?

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Has Hines ever been a coach? McClendon being the pass game coordinate is the main thing here. Need someone with significant coaching experience to replace McClendon IMO.

• Options
    FishingDawgFishingDawg Posts: 37 ✭✭ Sophomore

Nothing against the others, but I think Hines Ward or Terrance Edwards would be a nice fit if they want the job. I think Hines is invested in becoming a college coach. Terrance is making a name in the high school ranks and he has his side gig teaching/coaching receivers.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I didn't realize that CKS and Todd Bowles were that close. That bodes well for Troy Bowles staying at UGA even though he is not a starter at ILB .

While BMac is an excellent coach he has fallen short of the UGA standard as a recruiter. One phone call from CKS and BMac has a spot on the Tampa staff. It will be very interesting to see who CKS gets to replace BMac and raise the recruiting profile at UGA for WR's. Especially at this late date. CKS's comments above were mostly about recruiting. They seem to have been inserted by CR and weren't made by CKS relative to BMac moving on. But the difficulty UGA has had recruiting WR's seems to be getting worse.

I have said it many times before. Being a CFB assistant coach is a VERY difficult job. Well paid yes but a 24/7/365 job. And CKS demands every bit of that. With a smile as adults try to relate to and convince teenagers to sign up for 4 years of UGA boot camp.

That is one of the 2 reasons I don't think you see Hines Ward as WR coach at UGA. Hines Ward may think he wants to sign up for that but the reality is he is already past that. Maybe jump straight to HC like Deion but not starting out as a UGA WR coach. Second, CKS is likely to sign an up and coming, hungry, high energy , younger (to relate to HS players) coach. No one is bigger (or overshadows) the UGA program (or CKS) on the coaching staff. You rarely even see interviews or quotes from UGA assistant coaches. Hines Ward is too big a name. Hines has other options. I would be very surprised to see CKS bring him on. Could happen as a stepping stone favor to HWard but I would have to reevaluate what I think I know about CKS.

• Options
    BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hines Ward or Terrance Edwards!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 17

I'm picking Terrance....more career receiving yards at 3096, he knows Georgia HS, and his senior year as a Dawg was only 20 years ago so parents will be aware of his contributions and he works everyday with HS students. I think he'd be a phenomenal recruiter! As far as Hines is concerned, he has such a diverse experiential background....QB, Receiver, RB, and punt/kick off return, any offensive assistant position would be a great start .....special teams????

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just bring Muschamp back into the fold. Problem solved!

• Options
    cokeman24cokeman24 Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

I like the move for McClendon. He is an excellent coach, who is going to make a great head coach soon. He just looks like a head coach. Personally, I want Hines Ward. He bleeds the colors. Recruits would have to be excited playing for him. It would be hard to turn him down also. He is Hines Ward.

• Options
    jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

One of these days we are going to bring back Hines Ward. QB at UGA but great receiver in NFL

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I see many comments about Hines Ward & Terrance Edwards, both would be good. One comment mentioned Champ Bailey & Mohammed Massaqoui. So let me raise this flag and see if anyone salutes it. A.J. Green maybe ??

He’s only recently retired. Surely Both parents and players will know A.J. !! He’s never been a coach but neither have these other Great players. I think Any of them Could Coach as it’s mainly about establishing solid relationships with the players and teaching techniques. But on the recruiting trail I think A.J. would be a little more fresh to people’s minds. He just retired in I think 2022.

Don’t know if he’d want the job this soon into retirement, but he’s a competitor, probably wants a hand in football again. Thoughts ??

Again All of these guys that have been mentioned are Great. To my knowledge Hines is the only one I’ve ever read about actively speaking about Wanting to coach. Terrance has a private business coaching and training, but for good $$$ he might be willing. Kirby will get a good coach. Wish BMac the very best in his new job. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Good Luck B-Mac!

• Options
    JackJack Posts: 87 ✭✭✭ Junior

I does not have to be a former Bulldog but that would sure be nice. Where UGA sits now in college football, the new coach must have a good coaching resume.