Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Frustrations boil over for Mike White, Georgia basketball blows lead against Florida

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited February 17 in Article commenting
imageFrustrations boil over for Mike White, Georgia basketball blows lead against Florida

ATHENS — Georgia coach Mike White allowed his frustrations to boil over on Saturday after the Bulldogs lost for the sixth straight time.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

When you go 10 minutes without making a shot, you're pretty much done. They go cold in the second half of every game. Shot selection is horrible. Sloppy is the MO of UGA Basketball.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That’s the story of Georgia basketball, and until we get a proven head coach, it will continue to be.

• Options
    PlateauDawgPlateauDawg Posts: 41 ✭✭ Sophomore

The reason they go cold every 2nd half is the other teams make halftime adjustments. White is seemingly incapable of doing that. This team is poorly coached. Period. But that's what you get when your #1 goal in hiring a bball coach is to make you get one who is squeaky clean so he doesn't draw any heat on the football program.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think it's because they are tiring out in the 2nd half......because they don't have the quality depth, to keep fresh legs on the floor without a "noticable drop-off" in production and ball-handling....Lol....and, defense.

Since they can't get any more bodies in....maybe it's time they got in "Herb Brooks Shape" [1980 Miracle On Ice], so they can run the floor and shoot for accuracy without breaking a sweat....the entire game.

The more fatigued they get...they sloppier they become. You can see it when it starts happening. It's like turning down lights, using a dimmer switch...or a battery operated toy on a dying battery. Lol.

• Options
    PlateauDawgPlateauDawg Posts: 41 ✭✭ Sophomore

@BigDawg61 i don't disagree that lack of depth(& conditioning) plays a part,especially on defense where we are 294th in the country in 2nd half scoring defense. But on offense it's easy to see the adjustments Oats Golden & Parris make & White had no answer. S car went to a 1-3-1 & you would have thought he invented a new defense we were so inept at attacking it. We did Fla a favor. They absolutely upgraded & didn't have to pay a buy out. Josh Brooks should be fired for allowing that to happen

• Options

True....but, seems, as they tire out,...their passes are uncharacteristically "off" or mistimed, leading to sloppy turnovers...they get abnormally, hands'y on the perimeter leading to unnecessary fouls...and, perimeter defense starts developing holes for open 3-pointers...they start missing shots that they were nailing in the 1st half [even layups] and, for God's sake, they can't seem to get an offensive rebound, to save their lives, in the 2nd half, and defensive rebounds become "iffy".

It's obvious, they're still fighting with everything they've got. When they have a lead, in the 2nd half....they play like a broke gambler "playing with scared money". They're waiting to lose...not pressing to win or building on their lead.

If I didn't know better....I'd say, they're shaving points. Chiawa, in particular. He's the most inconsistent....especially, in the 2nd half. Lol...just kidding.

They all have spurts of greatness [usually in 1st half or early-to-mid 2nd half], here and there....meaning, they have the ability. The only two things, i know for a fact, can cause what I'm seeing in the 2nd half..."fatigue" and "inexperience". At this stage of the year, with no injuries to speak of....inexperience shouldn't be a resounding issue, week-in, week-out.

Lol..."Fatigue" shouldn't be this big an issue, either, for that matter. I don't get it...where's the team leadership. Are they a "high character, player-led team" that hold each other accountable, like the Football team?...or, not?

Somebody needs to step up and take charge of that team....or, they'll be the best UGA Bulldog Basketball Team....to be sitting on the outside looking in, come March, once again. I hope they aren't counting on shocking the world in the SEC Tourny. Lol

I don't know what the problem is....confidence?, conditioning?, depth?, coaching?, leadership?. I don't think it's talent and ability. They better figure it out quick...or this year was for naught.

• Options

Lol....they kind of remind me of the Falcons. Improve every single year for 3 straight years....however, they windup with the same win/loss record every single year for 3 years.

Why?...."no leadership", particularly on the offensive side of the ball. A winning team needs a guy that knows how to win and what it takes from everybody to "make it happen". And, will accept "nothing less" than maximum effort and focus from his teammates.

I don't see "that guy" on UGA's bench....but, I see an enormous amount of potential. I'm starting to question Mike White's leadership, as well. Lol...it's a real headscratcher....this team should be "winning"....IMO.