Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Social media praises Dell McGee after landing Georgia State head coaching job

SystemSystem Posts: 10,479 admin
edited February 24 in Article commenting
imageSocial media praises Dell McGee after landing Georgia State head coaching job

ATHENS — Losing a key assistant coach like Dell McGee is never a good thing for Kirby Smart

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 24

Ga. State! (smh). Lol....If the Dawgs keep spinnin' off talented Players and Coaches to other teams, like they have been....I don't know how I'm gonna keep up. With Dooley...all I had to keep up with, was Ga. Southern [Erk Russell], Ga. Tech, Valdosta St. and a couple of pro teams.

Now?....I got pro teams and college teams scattered from Oregon to Syracuse to Pennsylvania to Florida. The list of teams I pull for grows every year...thanks to Kirby Smart and his merry band of Coaches. Lol

Go git em Del and Bryan! Show em how to "howl at the moon", Athens-style.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby Smart head coaching tree: Mel Tucker, Shawn Beamer, Sam Pittman, Dan Lanning, Fran Brown and Dell McGee. Am I missing anyone?

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you're part of something that's successful then everyone wants a piece of you. Bryant, Saban, Bellechick, now Smart.

I think it was during the Superbowl they showed a picture of an NFL team(can't recall which it was) but it had about 10 coaches on the same staff that went onto become either a head coach or DC/OC. Andy Reid was one of them.

• Options
    Georgia67Georgia67 Posts: 140 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 24

Congratulations Coach McGee! Expect to see good things at GSU.

And the Smart coaching tree grows. It will far surpass any other.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    NissDawgNissDawg Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

Congrats coach DM! Been a fan since Crowell and Carver! I stay right outside of Columbus, it was so cool to see you represent at the University of Georgia for so long. You will be missed, but definitely deserve it! I wish you all the success in the world. A DGD!

NOW go get GURLEY! 😁

GO DAWGS

• Options
    edited February 24

You won't "miss him"...if you add Ga. State to the list of teams you keep up with. Lol...just kidding.

I'm glad to see "Him" take over that program. It hasn't been around very long....but, thanks to a good start by Bill Curry [if memory serves]...they've scratched their name in the dirt and beaten some teams, they had no business beating...making a name for themselves in the process.

McGee can take em to the next level and I can't wait to see it. I won't "miss him"...I "welcome him"...to Ga. State, as I welcome Coley to UGA. He'll be just a hop-skip and jump, down the road. Not far from another former Kirby assistant and current Ga Tech Head Coach.

Fyi....the Ga State Panthers are in the [DIV1] Sun Belt Conference and are eligible to make the 12/14/16 Team CFP.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So I am going to be a contrarian. Head Coach at Ga State is not a stepping stone for anything. Just look at where the most successful coach in Ga State history is now. TE coach at South Carolina. McGee could have stayed at UGA and line himself up for a real power 4 conference job. Fran Brown did. Not sure who his advisors are, but this was not a smart decision.

• Options
    edited February 26

IMO...He's not going to GSU for props and exposure. Like Erk Russell, with Ga Southern in the '80's....he's going there, "to win" and take em to new heights. We need a lot more of that...if you ask me.

Yesterday's "perennial losers and also-rans" do not equate to "tomorrow's doormats", especially in this era of CFB. Given the right boost [hype] and funding....GSU's fate can turn on a dime...as we saw with Colorado, last year. If Ga Tech can win a Natty [1990]....virtually anybody can. Lol

GSU may never be an "Upper Tier Team"...but, in today's CFB climate and expanded CFP....ANYTHING is possible. If McGee can make them Nationally competitive...he will be able to write his own ticket. Provided he wants to be somewhere other than Atlanta.

He may be hanging around Atlanta, gathering HC experience, while waiting for a future NFL opportunity.

As far as Kirby Smart and the Georgia Bulldogs......[[Junkyard Dawgs land on their feet]]. Lol. You can bet Kirby has a replacement board in his desk drawer that he keeps updated with fresh coaching souls...should he ever need one. Like...now. A thorough HC like Smart ...always has a contingency plan for every foreseeable situation.

The timing sux, though.

• Options
    robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

I wonder if all these coaches going elsewhere to be HCs take the Smart tradition of Super Tuesday practice days with them.

• Options
    edited February 27

I'm sure McGee will stick to the general blueprint...but, every coach has at least, a slightly different way of doing things. Super Tuesday could become "Powder-Puff Tuesday's & Super-Duper Wednesday's". Lol

That said....I would bet that he will. Seems like UGA Practices have had the same "basic" structure, since at least the '60's. I played for a former UGA Player [from the '40's], back in the '70's. He ran what you would call Super Tuesdays, today.

If you're interested...The basic structure for a Friday Game in the '70's, run by a former '40's Dawg and Dooley assistant, was as follows....

MON. Shells [helmets, shoulder pads & shorts] (film study, agility drills, running and conditioning, wound licking, Game Plan ½-¾ speed walk-thru, position drills and techniques, etc.).....

TUE. Full Pads (One-on-one drills, Full Scrimmage till after dark, Sprints, Suicides, throw up)......

WED. Full Pads or Shells (depending on how last Friday and this Tuesday went, #1's vs #2's scrimmage). Either Full scrimmage or 3/4 Speed Thud......

THU. Shorts & Helmets (Half Speed walk-thru of each play and Special Teams walk-thru....with discussion or teaching).

FRI. Ready for Gameday. Hell...we'd do half of THU practice before the game...in "warm-ups". Lol....where everybody is trying to psyche the other team out by showin' what they got, in "warm-ups" and strutting. There was a couple of really intense games, where I would go back to the locker room after warm-ups feeling like I just played 2 qtrs.

Lol....I know you've heard this before...but, Tuesdays Practices were far tougher than any regulation ballgame. I can tell you that, for a fact. No substitutions...#1's vs #1's....till you get it right or the lights go out. The #2's would run a separate, but, similar scrimmage on an adjacent field.

Yeah....I'm betting Tuesdays won't be fun for CFB Players, in Atlanta, GA., this year, any more than they are in Athens. Lol...Ga Tech and Ga State are being coached by former Dawg Assistants.