Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

5 Georgia players who stood out in Practice 2: bigger, faster, quicker and longer

SystemSystem Posts: 10,479 admin
edited March 15 in Article commenting
image5 Georgia players who stood out in Practice 2: bigger, faster, quicker and longer

ATHENS — It was only the second day of practice, but Kirby Smart was already in midseason form on Thursday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I hope that McCleod DT has his head screwed on straight. He's needed so bad, but I didn't like that he didn't play at SC. I'm sure Smart will have him on a short leash.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Apparently, from what I've read. He wanted to redshirt last year and beamer told him he couldn't. So he refused to go to play against Missouri. Beamer kicked him off team as a result. Is it true? Seems legit, to an extent. His father even said the same thing. I hope he is willing to work here.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If Beamer couldn't get him to work, I'm not sure how Smart will. Feels like Arik Gilbert all over again. Talented, but basically unusable. Maybe he will turn it around... I hope.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks, Mike, for the observations, the ears and eyes on the ground. Love hearing about Evan's quickness and hands, since the straight line speed of track stars doesn't always transfer to the game of football. Now it needs to transfer from the practice field to game day. Kirby saw something very important in every one of these guys that had him conclude he wanted to give him a precious scholly. Heck, Jordan Davis was known as lazy at the beginning of a Georgia career that ended up pretty decent. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That is the report that I heard too. He has now used his (only) RS year. You only get one RS year. No reason to hold anything back now.

IF the story is true it was a smart play by McCleod. It seems he saw early on that SC was not the right choice and he wanted to preserve as much of his eligibility as possible. NOW the question is, "does that mean he is gonna stay 4 more years at UGA?" It was smart to preserve eligibility because you never know. But it really doesn't make a difference if he stays at UGA 3 years and then goes pro.

In any event it was a transfer in at a position of need.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If he turns out to be really good, Georgia will only have him for 2 years. Redshirt years count towards the 3 year turning pro deal.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

By all accounts one of the biggest Aha takeaways early is Trevvors diminutive size. Guys one heck of an athlete if you watch his film. One of those fluid guys that makes everything he does seem like he was born to do it. Even the way he pops up after being tackled is somehow different.

• Options

You are right. I guess that is all you can ask.

UGA recruiting creates its own paradox. CKS recruits so well guys don't want to sit the bench they want to play early. This means 2 things. 1) previously recruited blue chip players need to develop and move on to make room for the young blue chip players or they move on. 2) That dynamic creates a young UGA team of mostly 1st and 2nd year players.

The paradox is that we have seen what a difference/advantage it is having mature "men" (Michel, Chubb, Davis, Wyatt, etc) playing against college "kids". This year UGA gets to benefit from mature players returning like Beck, TRat, Stax and Brinson. Maybe McCleod will pay that dividend back to UGA when the time comes.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UGADad20

We saw that with Michigan this year too. THey were a team made up with, I forget, how many Seniors, 44 I want to say. It does make one wonder if that hurts our chances of being the NC moving forward if say some other team(while not having as many 4 and 5 star players) who are more apt to transfer or not turn pro in 3 years can retain a larger portion of older, more mature players compared to our more talented but younger ad not as polished and physically mature guys.

• Options

I agree and have expressed the same sentiment before here as well.

Recruiting is a wild card right now until there are rules that put everyone on a level playing field. Kids want to play. Kids want NIL. Kids want total freedom of movement. Kids want to play on a winner. Kids want to be developed and make the next level. Kids want to play for their favorite coach. All those things go into the decision of where to play.

Recruiting is in a state of flux until we settle into whatever the new "norm" ends up being.

We have seen UGA's recruiting "strategy" evolving and trying to focus on the "right" players for the program. Not focused strictly on NIL and buying players.

MI is a great example of mature, developed players putting a run together and taking home the prize. Would there have 2 NC's w/o mature, fully developed players like Davis, Wyatt, ZWhite, SBIV, SVPG, JCarter, etc?

It will be interesting to watch how UGA's recruiting strategy evolves. Already seeing guys recruited who will need more than 3 years at the CFB level before they are ready for the next level.