Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

ESPN says Georgia offense has ‘plenty of firepower returning and more talent coming this summer’

SystemSystem Posts: 11,137 admin
edited May 7 in Article commenting
imageESPN says Georgia offense has ‘plenty of firepower returning and more talent coming this summer’

When you lose players as talented as Brock Bowers and Ladd McConkey to the NFL, it’s fair to ask some questions about what a team has coming back on offense.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope ESPN is right. One could easily argue that the Dawgs would have beaten Bama handily if Bowers and McConkey had been in the game at anywhere close to full strength. Those are very big shoes to fill, and I haven't seen near enough yet from anybody else (except maybe Bell) to make me feel all warm and cozy about the replacements going forward. Beck and his receivers will have to be lights out and working in tandem starting August 31st in what will be the toughest regular season schedule the Dawgs have ever faced.

• GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 486 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"With more continuity and better injury luck, the Bulldogs could leave little doubt about how good their offense is."

Exactly! Not only better injury luck for the receivers, but a healthy stable of running backs will be an incredible asset for this offense. There's so much talent in the RB room that no team can afford to keep both of their safeties deep, and the LB's will have to keep one eye on the run threat while trying to cover a TE or RB. Highly effective RBs will create incredible opportunities for the WRs and TEs. This is possibly the best "double threat" offense in the nation if everyone can stay healthy.

GO DAWGS!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 7

CR cherry picked his quotes from this article. Prior to the "Georgia still has plenty of firepower" quote the article stated that because of the losses of BB and LMcC the UGA offense would "take a step back" this season.

The exact quote from the article was, "Georgia's offense won't be nearly as good without star tight end Brock Bowers and receiver Ladd McConkey," ESPN's Mark Schlabach wrote.

I didn't particularly agree w/Schlabach's opinion especially since LMcC missed most of last season and BB missed half (?) of last season. '24 RB's might be a step up from '23 RB's. '24 OL might be a slight step up from '23 OL. But BB has big shoes to fill. I think the transition from LMcC to the next group will be pretty seamless. But the threat of BB the last 3 seasons really made it easier for other players to get open.

On a side note. I watched the Syracuse spring game. Fran Brown getting rave reviews. Zeed Haynes looks like QB Kyle McCord's (OSU transfer) #1 weapon. Haynes had 5 catches (and a TD) in the 1st half. It was also stated that Haynes was named MVP of spring ball. Joshua Miller was running 2nd team LT. Didn't see Jackson Meeks. Syracuse has multiple WR's that look good. Syracuse will be an interesting team to watch this year.

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 788 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Schlabach actually meant the opposite of that, UGADad. The article's headline was "Spring overreactions from each Way-Too-Early Top 25 college football team," and he goes on to place a single "overreaction" at the top of the blurb about each team. I, too, found this confusing, because he didn't put the "overreaction" in quotes or make it clear in some other way that he was merely writing things  "Georgia's offense won't be nearly as good without star tight end Brock Bowers and receiver Ladd McConkey" in order to show that the overreaction was wrong.

• GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Since I believe The 24 Dawgs are better when compared position by position than the 21, 22 and 23 teams, the 24 starters and bench were on these teams but overshadowed by the then starters and bench, and given the wackadoodles at ESPN are always prone to say ridiculous things to elicit feedback…….I'm thinking 45ppg is easily attainable. I also expect our D to be tops in every measure……the bad news is this brings more top HC enticements for GS.

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby is gonna be way more despised than Saban ever was

And, it may be by the end of this season, lol.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 7

It is confusing. My take is different.

https://www.tigernet.com/clemson-football/news/espns-spring-overreactions-on-clemson-georgia-acc-44141

The way I read this is that Schlabach/Hale/etc meant their takes on UGA, Clemson and the ACC. The TigerNet Staff writer is the one calling Schlabach's take an overreaction.

The TigerNet Staff didn't like ESPN calling Clemson's O "a disaster" or pumpiing up NC State's O. They didn't like UGA being discounted thinking how bad it would look for a discounted UGA team to drag Clemson up and down the field on 8/31.