Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Tipping

2»

Comments

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

See. Tipping does pay.

Sadly, we dont drink anymore. When you get to 70, what's the use.

But in my day, we had some great Margaritas. We always preferred a mix that was either straight limeade or maybe a bit more like lemonade. Not something too "limey".

The worst I ever had was at drink concession at Lakewood Amphitheater for a Dave Matthews concert. I dont know if they mixed it wrong, but it was absolutely horrid.

Not a big fan of Roses Lime either.

• Options
    CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I read somewhere it was built in by the payment processing app since the business pays a % of the post-tip total to the card processor. I am sure it can be disabled by the store, but most probably just leave it set up the way it was installed initially for them.

• Options
  • Options
    pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gifts are not subject to taxes

• Options
    Michael_ScarnMichael_Scarn Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Perhaps you can explain the correlation between giving others a pleasant experience and keeping prices down.

15% tip use to be the norm, however today 20% is the baseline expected rate. IMO, to EARN 20% tip a server better be at the top of their game and do more than take an order and collect the bill.

• Options
    ChopperChopper Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My cousin would argue it's a deposit for future services and there's no tax on labor.

• Options
    how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As someone who made their living tending bar for a decade plus, their are real perks to overtopping if you are a regular of an establishment. And that's all I have to say about that.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All servers are expected to do side work. The best servers are also the quickest in getting their side work done and get out of there.Not all like the side work, but it has to be done. Nothing perturbs an opening manager more than coming in and find that last night's side work was not done.

• Options

Amen! spoken like a true veteran!l All you food service folks, current and veterans, will love this guy's stuff on Youtube:

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 13

Thanks for that. My daughter is a sommelier and just got promoted to GM of a new "hot spot" upscale restaurant here in Brevard County. Urban Prime "Brevards newest destination restaurant." It's 300 seats, with an upscale market, two inside bars and two outside bars. She said this guy is spot on and she is fully invested in all his characters. She was delighted to know I found him in a uga football thread!

• Options

A word of caution: you will spend hours (yes, hours) watching his Youtube shorts without even realizing how long it has been, once you get hooked. That guy is a gifted communicator and his restaurant experience really helps his videos capture the realities of the restaurant business from the inside.