Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Alaska Cruise

ChopperChopper Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Taking this trip with my wife's side of the family this July; 10 of us total including 4 teenagers. Generally speaking I'm not a cruise fan but I've had this one on my wish list for a long time as it would seem a cruise is a good way to see a lot of that part of the world. Taking Princess out of Seattle and back for 7 days. Who's done this and what tips do you have?

Comments

• Options
    dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wife and I are going on a Norwegian Cruise Line to Alaska out of Seattle June 8 - 15. First time there. Escaping the US Open traffic here.

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My parents took an Alaskan Cruise in the 90's. Really enjoyed it. In another part of the state, a friend of mine visited Denali National Park, formerly Mt. McKinley, Had a blast. Southern Alaska and British Columbia are known for their beautiful mountains and epic snowfall.

• Options
    CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You know how vacation spending happens, though. Impulsivity and FOMO takes overrides budgeting.

• Options
    dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We booked shore excursions on our own, only one with the cruise line. Decidedly less costly.

• Options
    Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Will you be going to Sitka?

• Options
    ChopperChopper Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    dshaffers46dshaffers46 Posts: 55 ✭✭✭ Junior

Book the railway trip in Skagway (cheaper to do so away from the ship) Glacier Bay is awesome—just cruise and enjoy. If you are lucky, you'll see grizzlies on a beach and gray wales in the bay. In Ketchikan, get out and stroll Creek Street. Also can walk a bit to the fish hatchery—both free. The tram in Juneau is worth the ride and not outrageously costly.

• Options
    dshaffers46dshaffers46 Posts: 55 ✭✭✭ Junior

Another tip: if you are strolling around a port and decide to eat lunch away from the ship, many restaurants have what I call "cruise customer" menus that are significantly more costly than what locals pay. Make sure that you are getting the same rate as the locals pay or else hit he streets. I always pretty much ate on the ship if it wasn't far away because I had already paid for that meal.