Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Night of the Grizzlies

MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited August 21 in Off Topic

I recently watched a documentary on PBS about Grizzly Bear attacks in Glacier National Park, Montana in 1967. Tragically, two women were killed and the boyfriend of one of the victims severely mauled.

Speculation about the cause included campsites set up too close to the Bears' walking trail and two makeshift dump sites, injuries to the Bears making them more agitated, and the Bears emaciated condition due to hot weather and lower berry production.

My nagging question is if your going into bear country, why was no one armed? Not even a sidearm.

Comments

• pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pretty sure guns are prohibited in national parks.

• DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 21

Bears do come to the campsites in Yellowstone. It is legal carry firearms in the national parks. You do not need a permit to carry a firearm in a national park, but you must be in compliance with the gun laws of the state in which the national park is located. I had 2 handguns unloaded and locked plus clips of ammo in my trunk going through Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore. There was no hassle per I disclosed them to the officials at the gate before going in. They never checked. 😎

• CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 21

I thought about that as well, but the documentary MarkBoknecht mentioned took place i n1967 so the laws might have been different then. I just cannot imagine going into the wild to hike or camp unarmed myself, and it seems like a civil rights violation to prohibit individuals from doing so on public, undeveloped land when their lives might really be put into jeopardy with no other help available. Allowing unloaded and locked firearms to be transported within or through our National Parks is useless.

• Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In Canada folks hike in Banff National Park where no firearms are allowed. There are Grizzlies in the area. People carry bear spray. I’ve heard everything from it’s effective most of the time to it might stop an attack and might not!

My Canadian friends told me that it usually works if used properly. But really, how do you ensure an attacking grizzly is going to attack from downwind? Ask nicely!!!? Also, what if it just pisses the bear off?

• CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As Ron White once said, you just have to hope the bear only wants to "mate" with you at that point, then grin and "bear" it .😮

• Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks for your input everyone. Makes sense the National Parks don't want people bringing in weapons, or at least in 1967 when they had never had a fatal attack. And that being the case, I would have slept in the Park's chalet. Certainly not in a tent.

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There's a story about bears, pepper spray and wearing bells. The ranger explains that black bear poop is dark gray and fairly small, the brown bear poop is very dark brown, while grizzly bear poop smells like pepper and has bells in it. Could be true…