Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Baker Mayfield’s “Gesture”

joe_rush45joe_rush45 Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

Looks like Baker Mayfield isn’t going to START (but will play) against WVU this weekend for grabbing his crutch towards Kansas’ team

Is it me or does he seem like a Johnny Football pt. 2 ? He hasn’t shown any character or class this whole season #OnlyHurtingHIMSELF

Comments

  • PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Should not win the Heisman. The Heisman may be more steeped in tradition than any other individual award in sports. It should be the most outstanding player but that player should also be an outstanding representative of his school and college football at large. Mayfield is a great player no doubt but he doesn't meet all the criteria. And before someone throws Johnny Football's name out as a contrarion example: remember, the majority of his off the field antics came the yr after he won the Heisman, not the year of.

  • DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Hopefully he gets ran out of the Heisman rankings like this because of that gesture. I hate him so much.

  • KaseyKasey Posts: 21,712 mod

    Eh, I think about what a moron I was in my early 20s and try to give him a pass

  • ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    No doubt. King of **** when I was that young.

  • PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @Kasey said:
    Eh, I think about what a moron I was in my early 20s and try to give him a pass

    I totally agree that it is largely due to immaturity and I hope he learns from it. That said, there is a lot of space in between "he's a horrible, despicable human being" and "he's exactly the example of what we think a college football player should be." There's nothing wrong with placing him somewhere in between. It doesn't have to be one extreme or the other. For me, if you publicly conduct yourself that way you're off my Heisman list. That is one of the consequences of choosing to behave that way, particularly in the public eye when you are literally on national TV wearing a jersey representing your school.

  • pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @Kasey said:
    Eh, I think about what a moron I was in my early 20s and try to give him a pass

    Just when I'm about to blast one of these guys, I remember the stupidity of my college years as some no-name frat dude. I can't imagine being an elite athlete on a college campus. I would have been the biggest man-****, party animal in the whole state. I don't think I would have stolen crab legs or someone's laptop, but I would have been a freaking wild-man and probably get suspended a few times. Plus, nobody had camera phones to document stiff back then...thank God.

  • donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @pgjackson said:

    @Kasey said:
    Eh, I think about what a moron I was in my early 20s and try to give him a pass

    Just when I'm about to blast one of these guys, I remember the stupidity of my college years as some no-name frat dude. I can't imagine being an elite athlete on a college campus. I would have been the biggest man-****, party animal in the whole state. I don't think I would have stolen crab legs or someone's laptop, but I would have been a freaking wild-man and probably get suspended a few times. Plus, nobody had camera phones to document stiff back then...thank God.

    Here, here. Let's hear it for rotary phones!!

  • chattdawgchattdawg Posts: 386 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    @donm said:

    @pgjackson said:

    @Kasey said:
    Eh, I think about what a moron I was in my early 20s and try to give him a pass

    Just when I'm about to blast one of these guys, I remember the stupidity of my college years as some no-name frat dude. I can't imagine being an elite athlete on a college campus. I would have been the biggest man-****, party animal in the whole state. I don't think I would have stolen crab legs or someone's laptop, but I would have been a freaking wild-man and probably get suspended a few times. Plus, nobody had camera phones to document stiff back then...thank God.

    Here, here. Let's hear it for rotary phones!!

    No camera phones! Dilly dilly!

  • ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 7,940 mod

    @chattdawg said:

    @donm said:

    @pgjackson said:

    @Kasey said:
    Eh, I think about what a moron I was in my early 20s and try to give him a pass

    Just when I'm about to blast one of these guys, I remember the stupidity of my college years as some no-name frat dude. I can't imagine being an elite athlete on a college campus. I would have been the biggest man-****, party animal in the whole state. I don't think I would have stolen crab legs or someone's laptop, but I would have been a freaking wild-man and probably get suspended a few times. Plus, nobody had camera phones to document stiff back then...thank God.

    Here, here. Let's hear it for rotary phones!!

    No camera phones! Dilly dilly!

    Had a quarter pay phone in my frat house. Only way to call in or out. LOL!! Thanks for reminding me of grabbing an incoming call and having to yell out to a frat bro that his "wife" was wanting him.....hahaha...

  • Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2017

    @12ed said:
    Great. A guy grabs his crutch in the direction of a team and everybody melts. If I happened to grab my walking stick in public in the direction of a crowd, are you guys gonna attack me as classless too? There are some people in this world that have to grab their crutch. I couldn't walk around without grabbing my crutch. By the way who is Baker Mayfield?

    At least he only did it to himself...

  • amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Sorry @12ed I just could not make myself DV this one :o:o:o:*o:)

  • donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @amjadawgs said:
    Sorry @12ed I just could not make myself DV this one :o:o:o:*o:)

    I could! You are getting better and better with age.

  • HotDawgsAndMustardHotDawgsAndMustard Posts: 153 ✭✭✭ Junior

    @Palm_City_Dawg

    Well in Clemson's defense... Ohio State did look a little rusty. That play was only checking his oil for him.

  • evergreentreeevergreentree Posts: 50 ✭✭ Sophomore

    @ugaforever said:
    They gave it to Manziel, Cam Newton, and Jameis Winston. Not solid citizens by any means. Do I need to list all of the stuff they did or were at least accused off. And we all know they got off easy.

    Manziel's issues started after he won the Heisman.
    As for Cam Newton there's the stuff that everyone "knows" happen but couldn't prove (even though the NCAA, the states of Georgia/Florida/Alabama/Mississippi and even the feds spent quite awhile looking) with pay-for-play. Beyond that, he had been a solid citizen since getting kicked out of Florida, and truthfully still has been.

    Jameis Winston: oh please. He won the Heisman after the Tallahassee PD justifiably decided not to take the case. And despite the muckraking that the New York Times - and Paul Finebaum because he was afraid that Winston would beat Alabama - did, TPD dropped the case because the witnesses to the alleged incident told the police that it was consensual. They were literally in the apartment room when the entire incident occurred, as well as before and afterwards. It never was he said/she said. It was he AND two witnesses who perfectly corroborated his story said versus she said. The media ignored this because the two witnesses happened to be his friends, roommates and FSU football teammates, meaning that the media considered them not to be credible. So TPD and the local district attorney AND the state attorney decided not to bring the case because they had absolutely no chance at winning. The media knew this but wanted FSU to bench Winston for the entire year anyway merely because he was accused even though they knew that there was no way the case was ever going to go to trial. Or if the case had gone to trial, there was no way there would ever be a conviction. (The media was able to ignore the sworn statements given by Winston's roommates/teammates but a jury/judge would have had to consider them.) It was just media garbage trying to set the standard that anyone who gets accused of this crime should automatically be suspended for the entire football season. Not doing so meant that they were allegedly putting football over protecting women. They claimed that sitting Winston out one year wouldn't cause Winston any harm because he would still get to play the other 3. Never mind that he would lose an entire year of eligibility merely due to an accusation.

    Incidentally, this won't cost Baker Mayfield the Heisman, and it shouldn't. What SHOULD cost him the Heisman is the fact that stats should be meaningless in that league where everyone runs a wide open offense and no one plays defense. There are more future NFL defensive front seven prospects at Alabama alone than in that entire conference. They make the Pac-10 look like the NFC North. When was the last QB or RB from the Big 12 to do anything in the NFL? Adrian Peterson and that's it. Some of the receivers do OK, but only a tiny percentage of who gets drafted. I get that it is a down year for college football statistically, mainly because Ohio State and Penn State choked away the spotlight (especially Saquon Barkley and J.T. Barrett), the Bryce Love kid got hurt and UGA/Clemson/Alabama are all defensive teams whose offense is handled by committee, plus Miami is doing it with smoke and mirrors. So Mayfield would get it by default, but the default shouldn't be whatever Big 12 QB happens to be putting up the biggest numbers. Maybe the RB from Wisconsin should get it instead. Yeah, Wisconsin is an RB factory and the RB at Wisconsin always puts up big numbers and none of them do anything in the NFL. But rewarding the Big 12 for deciding that they are going to just stop playing defense is wrong.

  • JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @Palm_City_Dawg said:

    @12ed said:
    Great. A guy grabs his crutch in the direction of a team and everybody melts. If I happened to grab my walking stick in public in the direction of a crowd, are you guys gonna attack me as classless too? There are some people in this world that have to grab their crutch. I couldn't walk around without grabbing my crutch. By the way who is Baker Mayfield?

    At least he only did it to himself...

    I'm curious, is that predatory Clemson player now in Congress?

Sign In or Register to comment.