Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

The Elephant in the Room That Has Been The Key To Our Season...

BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Injuries...or lack thereof. We have always seemed to have key injuries (I'll include suspensions here). This year we have been relatively injury free. With all of the x's and o's that we like to think we are "smart" with, we can not discount this elephant in the room.

Comments

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guess if you say losing your starting QB (Eason) in the first quarter of the first game. Your starting corner back (Parrish) for the first couple of games and Your best DT (Trenton Thompson) for 4 games and him playing hurt the rest of the season. Oh your right guard played on a bad ankle until Ben replaced him.

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA only has about 15 or less starts missed due to injury. UGA has been extremely fortunate with injuries. They were also extremely fortunate last year with Phil Steele listing only 10 starts lost to injury last year.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

True, it could have been much worse.
    Eason, Michel, Godwin, Marshall, Carter (when Patrick was suspended) Thompson, and Bellamy- all significant contributors who missed time with an injury.
    Depth (the thing Kirby said was missing in his first press conference as HC) mitigates the impact of injuries. Depth lets a coach not rush a guy to get back in.
    Roquan, however, is darn near irreplaceable.

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PTDawg said:
    Coach Sinclair and the rest of the S&C have to get some of the credit here.

A TON!!!!!!!

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@MacDawg15 said:

@PTDawg said:

A TON!!!!!!!

Pay the man

• greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@PTDawg said:

A TON!!!!!!!

Pay the man

• HotDiggetyDawgHotDiggetyDawg Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is the case with almost any really successful team. That being said, most teams cannot sustain a loss of their starting QB and go on the road and win straightaway at a place like ND. Not saying they weren't overrated, but they aren't total garbage either at their place. See FSU. If anything, I think we were due given the list of key injuries we have had in some recent years.

• CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BiffLowman said:
    Injuries...or lack thereof. We have always seemed to have key injuries (I'll include suspensions here). This year we have been relatively injury free. With all of the x's and o's that we like to think we are "smart" with, we can not discount this elephant in the room.

Florida state used their injury of their starting qb as their big excuse. we were very lucky fromm stepped in so well.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CaliforniaDawg said:

@BiffLowman said:

Florida state used their injury of their starting qb as their big excuse. we were very lucky fromm stepped in so well.

I've ever seen a team suffer such a total collapse after the injury of one player. Hell OSU won an NC with their 3rd string QB. This is why I think TAMU messed up goingafter Jimbo. Take Winston out of the picture and he has done very little. But I agree, FSU has really milked the injured QB situation. Doesn't explain their horrendous defense.

• TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bmauldin said:
    Thought y’all were referring to Jim Cheney at first...
    “The elephant in the room that has been the key to our success...”

Definitely my favorite comment in over a year on this forum. So simple, yet genius. Props, my man.

• HWH3HWH3 Posts: 21 ✭ Freshman

I get it and absolutely agree with the injuries. The pun about Cheney I get.

But, seriously, Cheney is the elephant in the room. We have seen this year the growth of a OC to take what talent he has an adapt it to provide opportunities for success rather than just sticking with one, tunnel-visioned approach. It wasn't drastic or a total re-write of the whole playbook. We still try to run first/often because that is where much of the offensive talent lies. When it works, there is no more of a demoralizing way to seal a victory. But, more smart pass plays, few turnovers, and a little surprise and wrinkle has made a huge difference. Since the SEC CG, defenses NOW have to worry about backs flaring out of the back field for passes. Well, the same people who would cover them are also (usually) the same ones who cover TEs- the linebackers. Look for more high % tosses to TEs to be open.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@HWH3 said:

I get it and absolutely agree with the injuries. The pun about Cheney I get.

But, seriously, Cheney is the elephant in the room. We have seen this year the growth of a OC to take what talent he has an adapt it to provide opportunities for success rather than just sticking with one, tunnel-visioned approach. It wasn't drastic or a total re-write of the whole playbook. We still try to run first/often because that is where much of the offensive talent lies. When it works, there is no more of a demoralizing way to seal a victory. But, more smart pass plays, few turnovers, and a little surprise and wrinkle has made a huge difference. Since the SEC CG, defenses NOW have to worry about backs flaring out of the back field for passes. Well, the same people who would cover them are also (usually) the same ones who cover TEs- the linebackers. Look for more high % tosses to TEs to be open.

I think(and thought) Cheney was legit last year too. There were circumstances that kept him from opening up the playbook... underperforming line and very raw freshman qb.
    Fromm is more polished being from virtually a division 3 college of a high school team.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Cheney-

Chaney-

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

L. Chaney

Well played, sir.