Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Vol fans are hilariously hopeful re: Pruitt

BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My wife’s family lives in Knoxville. Over the holidays I got to hear from everyne about what a miraculous salvage job Pruitt had pulled off in the early period, and now my neighbor down the street called to thump his chest about how Pruitt had landed JJ Peterson and lifted their class up to 16th on 247 and 14 on rivals. He was especially proud of the fact Peterson is from Georgia and chose UT with a Georgia hat sitting on the table.

I wanted laugh but I dont want to make my neighbor mad. First of all, with the available playing time and small number of commitments Pruitt inherited, pushing their class in the top 20 was a given just by simply picking up the crumbs. JJ Peterson was going to sign with Pruitt regardless of the school because of Probst. I dont think UGA was really still recruiting the kid, so it seems the UGA hat on the table was just a publicIty stunt by Pruitt to make Vol fans feel better about Cade Mays.

Congrats Vol fans. You will finish with a Top 15 class, which will be good for middle of the road in conference and signifcantly trailing your two primary roadblocks to the SEC title - UGA and annual west opponent Alabama. Guess what? You are still pretty much right where you would have been if you had retained Butch Jones. Possibly worse.

Comments

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Even better one of my vol fans was bragging about their basketball program recruiting class

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In my opinion, long term Pruitt is going to do a very good job at Tennessee. When you consider the dumpster fire that was going on before he was hired and the fact he is still on the job full time along with his defensive coordinator and the new early signing period. Pruitt is doing a great job from where he started. We know he and Kevin Sherrer are great recruiters from the work they did at Georgia.

I am far more worried about the competition from Tennessee and South Carolina long term than I am about Florida because it think the coaching staffs are better.

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bmauldin said:
    Perspective:

JJ is their highest rated player

He would currently be our 9th... and we are still in the running for some higher rated recruits...

Could be a package deal for Rush Propst to get a job.....

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:

@bmauldin said:
    Perspective:

He would currently be our 9th... and we are still in the running for some higher rated recruits...

didn't Pruitt used to work for him before Propst got the boot from that HS in AL? Might be a nice way to help your former HC.

• Options

@oldon42 said:
    In my opinion, long term Pruitt is going to do a very good job at Tennessee. When you consider the dumpster fire that was going on before he was hired and the fact he is still on the job full time along with his defensive coordinator and the new early signing period. Pruitt is doing a great job from where he started. We know he and Kevin Sherrer are great recruiters from the work they did at Georgia.

I am far more worried about the competition from Tennessee and South Carolina long term than I am about Florida because it think the coaching staffs are better.

Pruitt/Fulmer, Part 2 will be left to strain the coffee grounds in Georgia for recruits, much like Fulmer, Part 1 had to do during CMR's first 7 years at UGA. We can't sign them all, but I look forward to watching the Vols and Gamecocks fight over what's left after Kirby separates the wheat from the chaff.

• Options

@donm said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@bmauldin said:
    Perspective:

didn't Pruitt used to work for him before Propst got the boot from that HS in AL? Might be a nice way to help your former HC.

Yep. Propst gave Pruitt his first coaching job as a DB coach at Hoover High.

• Options
    thehutch40thehutch40 Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Of course Peterson's commitment is a package deal. The young man has not even been to Tenneessee's campus yet he says "it's home". I mean who commits to a school without ever visiting if there isn't some other influence aka HS coach getting a job.

• Options
    HotDiggetyDawgHotDiggetyDawg Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

Have a good friend who is a Vol fan. He said to me "good luck scoring on us next season". That is how delusional they are getting. Apparently they have Dorothy syndrome thinking Pruitt will click his heels and the team will magically and immediately flip completely around to a powerhouse.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

@HotDiggetyDawg said:
    Have a good friend who is a Vol fan. He said to me "good luck scoring on us next season". That is how delusional they are getting. Apparently they have Dorothy syndrome thinking Pruitt will click his heels and the team will magically and immediately flip completely around to a powerhouse.

All you have to do is remind them that the Vols averaged 35 points a game against Pruitt's defense when he was at UGA....

• Options

@HotDiggetyDawg said:
    Have a good friend who is a Vol fan. He said to me "good luck scoring on us next season". That is how delusional they are getting.

I guess they are forgetting that they have to come to Athens next year. They're also forgetting that it takes longer than one Spring session and one Fall camp to get new schemes on both sides of the ball clicking.

• Options
    HotDiggetyDawgHotDiggetyDawg Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2018

@ghostofuga1 said:

All you have to do is remind them that the Vols averaged 35 points a game against Pruitt's defense when he was at UGA....

Good point, went ahead and texted him that. Must be having phone issues as he seems to be on radio silence all of a sudden.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Remind them that while they took a step forward with hiring Pruitt, we have taken several steps forward with our recruiting and are way ahead already from where most thought we’d be. They got a four star. Congrats. We got a dozen and six five stars - so far. They should focus on beating Vandy first. They won ZERO conference games. To quote the great David Bellamy, “Humble yourself.”

• Options
    RotgutRotgut Posts: 20 ✭✭ Sophomore

Finishing with a recruiting class anywhere in the top 25 this year is an accomplishment considering their situation. I'm okay with letting Vol fans have some hope, no matter how delusional. They found new and inventive ways to make the end of their season rough.

• Options
    andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior

Swift will triple his jersey # against Tennessee in 2018. The Vols will be 0-3 against Georgia the next three years. Let the big Dawg eat!

• Options
    BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Rotgut said:
    Finishing with a recruiting class anywhere in the top 25 this year is an accomplishment considering their situation. I'm okay with letting Vol fans have some hope, no matter how delusional. They found new and inventive ways to make the end of their season rough.

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here. Screw Tennessee.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Rotgut said:

No, finishing in the Top 25 is NOT an accomplishment. Tennessee is always going to sign 3 and 4 star players. I think UT had 15 commits when Pruitt was hired and ranked 27th. Decommitments dropped that number to 10. They now have 18, which simply adding the 3 addl names would have pushed their score in to the Top 20. Less than half of the schools in each of the power 5 conferences are really who comprise the power brokers, and Tennessee certainly remains in that top half based on reputation, so Tennessee is going to sign a Top 25 class every year just based on keeping their doors open.

The way conference alignment has worked out, the Top 25 classes usually consist of the same schools every year with annual exceptions from each conference. The Big 8 now has 4 (ut, ok okst tcu). Pac 12 has 4 (USC, WASH, UCLA, ORE) The Big 10 has 6 (OSU, PSU, MI, MSU, NEB, WISC) and the ACC has 3 (FSU, UM, Clem) and then there is the SEC with (Bama, AU, LSU, UGA, UF, & UT), and usually places a couple from among A&M, MSst, Ole Miss, UK, and USCjr in the top 25.

Ive probably missed a few regular Top 25 entrants, but the point is the same - my sister could recruit a Top 25 class to Knoxville. Any SEC coach at one of the first named 6 schools who cant out recruit the next group of named SEC gets fired in short order. Those who cant recruit in the Top 3-4 in the conference get fired after 4-6 years, and eventually they all get fired if they dont recruit in the Top 2 of the conference. Pruitt is currently on pace to get fired.

• Options

@greshamdisco said:
    Remind them that while they took a step forward with hiring Pruitt, we have taken several steps forward with our recruiting and are way ahead already from where most thought we’d be. They got a four star. Congrats. We got a dozen and six five stars - so far. They should focus on beating Vandy first. They won ZERO conference games. To quote the great David Bellamy, “Humble yourself.”

They took a step forward with Pruitt, but took 2 backward by re-hiring Fulmer as AD.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,728 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pruitt is in a great position. All he needs to do is get UT back to a bowl next season and he's a genius. Sometimes taking over a total disaster is an easy way to look like a hero. I think he will get UT back to respectability in the next couple of years, get a huge offer from a major program like Michigan, USC (West Coast), Auburn or LSU and bail.