Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Vol fans are hilariously hopeful re: Pruitt

2»

Comments

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:
    Pruitt is in a great position. All he needs to do is get UT back to a bowl next season and he's a genius. Sometimes taking over a total disaster is an easy way to look like a hero. I think he will get UT back to respectability in the next couple of years, get a huge offer from a major program like Michigan, USC (West Coast), Auburn or LSU and bail.

He's a southern guy. I think he stays in the South.

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:
    Pruitt is in a great position. All he needs to do is get UT back to a bowl next season and he's a genius. Sometimes taking over a total disaster is an easy way to look like a hero. I think he will get UT back to respectability in the next couple of years, get a huge offer from a major program like Michigan, USC (West Coast), Auburn or LSU and bail.

Auburn won't be able to fire Gus (HAHAHA) with that insane contract extension. LSU is a possibility. They aren't happy with the Cookie Monster. FSU, maybe....The natives will be restless in about three years there if Taggart hasn't done anything by then....

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:

@pgjackson said:

Auburn won't be able to fire Gus (HAHAHA) with that insane contract extension. LSU is a possibility. They aren't happy with the Cookie Monster. FSU, maybe....The natives will be restless in about three years there if Taggart hasn't done anything by then....

UTenn, UF and Ole Miss should get a recruiting bump this year and/or next. They all will field a better product in 2018.

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's fun to make fun of Tennessee - I hate them.

But after a ridiculously comical hiring process - UT got lucky and found a great coach.

And the Peterson pick up was huge. Pruitt is going to salvage a pretty good class out of what could have been a disaster. We will lose recruiting battles to Pruitt in the future.

• Options
    mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pruitt will do what he can to take the recruits from Bama that he's got relationships with through Bama. I think the early signing period actually hurt him because now he has less time to flip some of those players. He may pull a few guys with him, but without support, JJ Peterson can't make the team a champion. How he does after 2-3 years of finding and building his own relationships is TBD. This is an area I'm happy to see Kirby and Staff excelling at.

Tennessee will be back to 3rd/4th in the East after next year, where they belong anyways.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2018

Pruitt is a great defensive coordinator. But just because he can do that doesn’t mean he’ll be a great coach. The thing is though, as was said earlier in this thread, all he has to do is get them back to a bowl to look like a hero in Knoxville.

The Peterson pickup was an excellent pickup. But that story above about trying to rub it in the face of UGA is just silly. We have an embarrassment of riches in our recruiting class. And we already have two excellent OLB’s, Anderson and Ojulari. Plus we may be getting Quay Walker. And wasn’t word in the media that we recruited Cox as an OLB? That would make 4 excellent OLB’s in this class. Two of them 5*’s. We’re not sweating not getting Peterson.

• Options
    mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@mattmd2 said:
    Pruitt will do what he can to take the recruits from Bama that he's got relationships with through Bama.

Forgot to mention, case in point, Owen Pappoe and a couple others from Grayson are supposedly heading to UT for a visit. I think it's more of a "check out my new crib" kind of visit than anything that could convince those guys that UT is a program worth joining. Especially with that fanbase...

• Options
    BigGAdawgBigGAdawg Posts: 575 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@HotDiggetyDawg said:
    Have a good friend who is a Vol fan. He said to me "good luck scoring on us next season". That is how delusional they are getting. Apparently they have Dorothy syndrome thinking Pruitt will click his heels and the team will magically and immediately flip completely around to a powerhouse.

They must not be aware of Swift, White, Cook, Holyfield, Herrien, Fromm, and a steadily improving OL. It will be more like "good luck stopping us from scoring'' on UT at will.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,749 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2018

Was watching the Championship show on ESPN last night. They were singing the praises of Chubb and Michel and saying both will be gone in the draft by the early 2nd round...then said Swift might be even better than both and eventually be a higher draft pick than them.

• Options

@texdawg said:
    It's fun to make fun of Tennessee - I hate them.

But after a ridiculously comical hiring process - UT got lucky and found a great coach.

And the Peterson pick up was huge. Pruitt is going to salvage a pretty good class out of what could have been a disaster. We will lose recruiting battles to Pruitt in the future.

And we will win our share of them as well.

• Options
    DawggonedDawggoned Posts: 43 ✭ Freshman

@UnderDog68 said:

@greshamdisco said:
    Remind them that while they took a step forward with hiring Pruitt, we have taken several steps forward with our recruiting and are way ahead already from where most thought we’d be. They got a four star. Congrats. We got a dozen and six five stars - so far. They should focus on beating Vandy first. They won ZERO conference games. To quote the great David Bellamy, “Humble yourself.”

They took a step forward with Pruitt, but took 2 backward by re-hiring Fulmer as AD.

"They took a step forward with Pruitt, but took 2 backward by re-hiring Fulmer as AD."

I'm not so sure of that

• Options

@Dawggoned said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@greshamdisco said:
    Remind them that while they took a step forward with hiring Pruitt, we have taken several steps forward with our recruiting and are way ahead already from where most thought we’d be. They got a four star. Congrats. We got a dozen and six five stars - so far. They should focus on beating Vandy first. They won ZERO conference games. To quote the great David Bellamy, “Humble yourself.”

They took a step forward with Pruitt, but took 2 backward by re-hiring Fulmer as AD.

"They took a step forward with Pruitt, but took 2 backward by re-hiring Fulmer as AD."

I'm not so sure of that

Well if Pruitt is his own man (which I sure think he is) and meddlin' Phil thinks he himself is going to run the FB program (which has been alluded to in previous posts) then that will be meltdown to rival Chernobyl.

• Options

@Dawggoned said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@greshamdisco said:

I'm not so sure of that

The reason I say so is because Fulmer has made it pretty clear that he will be micro-managing the program. With a hot-head like Pruitt, it probably won't go well to have an AD constantly second-guessing and putting his nose in all the time.

• Options

@donm said:

@Dawggoned said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@greshamdisco said:

I'm not so sure of that

Well if Pruitt is his own man (which I sure think he is) and meddlin' Phil thinks he himself is going to run the FB program (which has been alluded to in previous posts) then that will be meltdown to rival Chernobyl.

Don't know if Fulmer is going to actually run the program but his ghost will be everywhere Pruitt walks.

• Options

@Dawggoned said:

@donm said:

@Dawggoned said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@greshamdisco said:

I'm not so sure of that

Don't know if Fulmer is going to actually run the program but his ghost will be everywhere Pruitt walks.

IMO, Pruitt is being set up to be a puppet coach while Fulmer pulls a lot of the strings. Fulmer is a back-stabber, as he has shown on more than one occasion. As soon as UT isn't as successful as Fulmer thinks they should be, I am predicting that he fires Pruitt and makes himself the head coach.....which is what he wanted in the first place.

• Options

@UnderDog68 said:

@Dawggoned said:

@donm said:

@Dawggoned said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@greshamdisco said:

I'm not so sure of that

IMO, Pruitt is being set up to be a puppet coach while Fulmer pulls a lot of the strings. Fulmer is a back-stabber, as he has shown on more than one occasion. As soon as UT isn't as successful as Fulmer thinks they should be, I am predicting that he fires Pruitt and makes himself the head coach.....which is what he wanted in the first place.

" I am predicting that he fires Pruitt and makes himself the head coach.....which is what he wanted in the first place."

Maybe. I can see him bringing Cutcliffe in as head coach ..... https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/coaching-rumors-tennessee-believe-phillip-fulmer-become-ad-hire-david-cutcliffe-coach .....if Pruitt doesn't produce immediate results. I'm giving Pruitt two years to win the SEC Championship or he's a goner IMO.

• Options

@Dawggoned said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@Dawggoned said:

@donm said:

@Dawggoned said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@greshamdisco said:

I'm not so sure of that

" I am predicting that he fires Pruitt and makes himself the head coach.....which is what he wanted in the first place."

Maybe. I can see him bringing Cutcliffe in as head coach ..... https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/coaching-rumors-tennessee-believe-phillip-fulmer-become-ad-hire-david-cutcliffe-coach .....if Pruitt doesn't produce immediate results. I'm giving Pruitt two years to win the SEC Championship or he's a goner IMO.

I guess Saban isn't as protective of assistants now as he was when other programs came calling for Kirby years back.

And yes, I an referring to the time we wanted him here as DC under Richt and Saban convinced him to stay at Alabama until he could be the head coach at UGA.

• Options
    strange_noahstrange_noah Posts: 60 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think Pruit is a coin flip hire. I mean I know he’s had success as a coordinator but hearing all the hope from UT fans is kinda crazy sometimes with their expectations. (I am a student at UT) But with that said there is so much variation in the results of hiring coordinators. You have upper tier like a Mullen, Smart, or Riley and then you have Muschamp, Mcelwain, and Strong. Sure most can recruit and we know Pruit can but Butch could recruit. This should be a more wait and see hire for me if I were a UT fan. With that said I don’t think it’s a bad hire but out of all the assistants you could get I would’ve wanted Brent Venables at Clemson well before Pruit.

• Options

@strange_noah said:
    I think Pruit is a coin flip hire. I mean I know he’s had success as a coordinator but hearing all the hope from UT fans is kinda crazy sometimes with their expectations. (I am a student at UT) But with that said there is so much variation in the results of hiring coordinators. You have upper tier like a Mullen, Smart, or Riley and then you have Muschamp, Mcelwain, and Strong. Sure most can recruit and we know Pruit can but Butch could recruit. This should be a more wait and see hire for me if I were a UT fan. With that said I don’t think it’s a bad hire but out of all the assistants you could get I would’ve wanted Brent Venables at Clemson well before Pruit.

Pruitt has been the beneficiary of jumping into jobs where the cupboard was full of talent....First at FSU (National Title in 2013), and Alabama...(National Title in 2017). Tennessee has some talent, but not enough right now to make him an instant success. Believe you me, if he isn't contending for the SEC by the end of year two, the rumblings of him being on the hot seat will begin. I have already had a couple of UT fans tell me that they expect to go 8-4 or 9-3 the first year with a second place finish in the East behind UGA or UF. And I just don't see that happening the first year.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:

@strange_noah said:

Pruitt has been the beneficiary of jumping into jobs where the cupboard was full of talent....First at FSU (National Title in 2013), and Alabama...(National Title in 2017). Tennessee has some talent, but not enough right now to make him an instant success. Believe you me, if he isn't contending for the SEC by the end of year two, the rumblings of him being on the hot seat will begin. I have already had a couple of UT fans tell me that they expect to go 8-4 or 9-3 the first year with a second place finish in the East behind UGA or UF. And I just don't see that happening the first year.

Year two better find Pruitt at least fielding a competitive team or the fanbase will turn on him. They are more rabid than some of the Georgia fans who wanted to fire Kirby in year one.