Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Heartbreak Lite

squabs217squabs217 Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

I'm a self-admitted pessimist, and yes, this loss really hurt. But for some reason, it doesn't have the same feel as one of the classic CMR groin kicks. I'm seeing the groundwork laid for sustained dominance. Remember, we're not a decade into the Smart regime and experiencing this kind of let down. It's year 2 for this staff, and already way ahead of schedule. I'd have laughed in somebody's face if they told me my team would be in the Natty this year ! The culture has changed, but is still shedding its skin from Richt's guys.

How long till GDay? Go dawgs!

Comments

• Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree with both posters.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like your view, but this was a gut punch. Also, I feel like we looked unprepared at times in the second half. I’m not sure they were expecting to play against that QB

• Options
    squabs217squabs217 Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

@JRT812 said:
    I like your view, but this was a gut punch. Also, I feel like we looked unprepared at times in the second half. I’m not sure they were expecting to play against that QB

Saban truly is a mastermind. He played the Tua card to perfection. Again, the Smart UGA model is in its infancy. I can't wait to see the new class in the spring. Let's all look ahead, people!

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@squabs217 said:

@JRT812 said:

Saban truly is a mastermind. He played the Tua card to perfection. Again, the Smart UGA model is in its infancy. I can't wait to see the new class in the spring. Let's all look ahead, people!

What impresses me the most is that he stuck with Tua. At first, I thought he would have been pulled and I wonder if the UGA coaches thought the same. He settled down and showed he has a very bright future.

Great days this season and look forward to better days next season

• Options
    chattanoogadawgchattanoogadawg Posts: 151 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think the Dawgs were at minimum equal to the Tide (probably better). While it seemed they had a little more talent and size, we made up for it with discipline and technique. And the talent is coming....

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:

Sure it is a gut punch but we went into they knowing that we needed more quality depth at DB and WR. We were not sure about O-line either. That is why Isaac Taylor-Stuart and Tyson Campbell are so important for next year.

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:
    When Richt lost big games, the team would simply look unprepared and overmatched. This team was ready and absolutely were the equal to Bama. It really came down to depth. They simply outlasted us. I think that is changing.

Winner, winner....Chicken Dinner!!

• Options

@JRT812 said:

Probably going to happen against some of our unsuspecting opponents when Kirby puts Fields in.

• Options
    AgDawgAgDawg Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Our refs just couldn't match up with their refs

• Options
    BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Refs, conservative play calling in the second half, and poor secondary play was the difference in this game.

• Options

There's a rumor floating that Sony had a hip-pointer and that's why he wasn't in there much the 4th qtr. Any truth to that?

• Options
    MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2018

@squabs217 said:
    I'm a self-admitted pessimist, and yes, this loss really hurt. But for some reason, it doesn't have the same feel as one of the classic CMR groin kicks. I'm seeing the groundwork laid for sustained dominance. Remember, we're not a decade into the Smart regime and experiencing this kind of let down. It's year 2 for this staff, and already way ahead of schedule. I'd have laughed in somebody's face if they told me my team would be in the Natty this year ! The culture has changed, but is still shedding its skin from Richt's guys.

Yea, it really is sad that we had those Richt guys around like Chubb, Michel, Wynn, Godwin, Blazevich, Roquan, Lo Carter, Ledbetter, Thomson, Atkins, Walker, Bellamy, Baker, Sanders, Parrish, Davis, Reggier Carter, not to mention most of the 2016 recruiting class that Richt had secured before he was fired. I will feel so much better about the program after all of those Richt losers are done, said no one ever.

• Options

@MIghtydawg said:

@squabs217 said:

Yea, it really is sad that we had those Richt guys around like Chubb, Michel, Wynn, Godwin, Blazevich, Roquan, Lo Carter, Ledbetter, Thomson, Atkins, Walker, Bellamy, Baker, Sanders, Parrish, Davis, Reggier Carter, not to mention most of the 2016 recruiting class that Richt had secured before he was fired. I will feel so much better about the program after all of those Richt losers are done, said no one ever.

Didn't these guys have just as much Smart coaching as Richt coaching?

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think the point is, that Richt did not leave the cupboard bare. Richt's failure as a recruiter is in not recruiting enough quality offensive linemen or enough depth.

• Options
    Midnite_TrainMidnite_Train Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:
    There's a rumor floating that Sony had a hip-pointer and that's why he wasn't in there much the 4th qtr. Any truth to that?

I didnt doubt for a second there had to be some sort of injury to Sony. It was just too obvious Nick wasnt the answer. If we know it, of course Chaney knew it

• Options

@MIghtydawg said:

@AgDawg said:

@MIghtydawg said:

@squabs217 said:

Well if that is the case then who are Richt guys that the original post refers too? If it is not the seniors and the guys who were recruited by Richt then who is it?

I don's understand why people feel the constant need to put Richt down in order to praise Kirby. Kirby did a hell of a job with this team. Richt left him a hell of a lot of good players to work with. Both coaches contributed to the run by the Dawgs this year.

My point was that the players had just as much coaching by Smart and his staff as they did by Richt. Yes, Richt recruited them, which is great. Kirby, however, is recruiting arguably even better players. It annoys me to hear other fan bases (and even a few in this fan base) say they want to see ehat Smart can do when all of the "Richt guys" are gone. It's not like recruiting has fallen off and the ones have next to zero coaching by Kirby.

• Options
    MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AgDawg said:

@MIghtydawg said:

@AgDawg said:

@MIghtydawg said:

@squabs217 said:

Well if that is the case then who are Richt guys that the original post refers too? If it is not the seniors and the guys who were recruited by Richt then who is it?

I don's understand why people feel the constant need to put Richt down in order to praise Kirby. Kirby did a hell of a job with this team. Richt left him a hell of a lot of good players to work with. Both coaches contributed to the run by the Dawgs this year.

My point was that the players had just as much coaching by Smart and his staff as they did by Richt. Yes, Richt recruited them, which is great. Kirby, however, is recruiting arguably even better players. It annoys me to hear other fan bases (and even a few in this fan base) say they want to see ehat Smart can do when all of the "Richt guys" are gone. It's not like recruiting has fallen off and the ones have next to zero coaching by Kirby.

You have never heard me say that. No doubt that Kirby is recruiting at a high level. There is also no doubt that "Richt guys" as reference in the original post were the catalyst for this team. Not some skin to be shed but some of the greatest Dawgs of all time.

• Options
    Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why couldn’t richt coach up his recruits but Kirby did?

• Options
    PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not beating a dead horse but CMR didn't have the staff or money to spend that CKS has at his disposal. Now, I'm glad that Kirby demanded that of UGA before coming but let's be sure we compare apples with apples.

CMR won 13 games his second year, too.