Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Gus Mullen over here...

Comments

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@gdawg4life said:

@Teddy said:

@DawgsofWar said:
    Dan Mullen was a mediocre hire at Florida. Couldn't hack it as Miss State and now he's just going to suffer more at Florida. Kirby owns the entire SE in terms of recruiting and Mullen will have a hard time recruiting. He was 2-15 in terms of beating teams from the AP Top 25. He's going to drop games to USCe, Georgia, and TN every year. No SEC East Champions within three years means he's going to get the boot. Tough time to become a Florida coach IMO.

To be fair, Mullen was working with 2 & 3 star talent at MSU. He'll have mostly 4, and some 5, star talent now. Although the east is on the rise, for the most part, competing in the west was much tougher during his tenure there. Especially when you're MSU, who has perennially been the worst team in the division. The fact that he got them to respectable shows solid coaching. I'm taking the wait and see approach, as to how he does with better players and "3rd & Grantham" on defense.

Not quite true on what he was working with at Mississippi State. At least not as far as the 2 stars go. From 2009 through 2017, he had 2 five stars and 38 four stars stars. In the last 5 years he signed 2 five stars and 20 four stars. Yes, the larger portion were three stars though.

He will definitely have more talent at Florida and I suspect that he will have them competitive sooner rather than later.

I didn't mean he only had 2 and 3 star talent, but just that it was the bulk of his hauls on the recruiting trail. There's a big difference in a bunch of 3 stars and going somewhere with mostly 4 stars is what I was getting at. And when you have more 2 stars than 5, that's not a recipe for winning, especially in the SEC west. Sorry, next time I'll break down every recruit, instead of generalizing the talent gap between MSU and Florida. My main point was that we don't know how he'll do with better players.

2017 - fifteen 3 stars and two 2 stars (four 4 stars)
    2016 - seventeen 3 stars (two 4 stars, one 5 star)
    2015 - nineteen 3 star (seven 4 stars)
    2014 - fifteen 3 stars, two 2 stars (three 4 stars)
    2013 - fifteen 3 stars one 2 star (three 4 stars, one 5 star)

• gdawg4lifegdawg4life Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@gdawg4life said:

@Teddy said:

@DawgsofWar said:
    Dan Mullen was a mediocre hire at Florida. Couldn't hack it as Miss State and now he's just going to suffer more at Florida. Kirby owns the entire SE in terms of recruiting and Mullen will have a hard time recruiting. He was 2-15 in terms of beating teams from the AP Top 25. He's going to drop games to USCe, Georgia, and TN every year. No SEC East Champions within three years means he's going to get the boot. Tough time to become a Florida coach IMO.

To be fair, Mullen was working with 2 & 3 star talent at MSU. He'll have mostly 4, and some 5, star talent now. Although the east is on the rise, for the most part, competing in the west was much tougher during his tenure there. Especially when you're MSU, who has perennially been the worst team in the division. The fact that he got them to respectable shows solid coaching. I'm taking the wait and see approach, as to how he does with better players and "3rd & Grantham" on defense.

Not quite true on what he was working with at Mississippi State. At least not as far as the 2 stars go. From 2009 through 2017, he had 2 five stars and 38 four stars stars. In the last 5 years he signed 2 five stars and 20 four stars. Yes, the larger portion were three stars though.

He will definitely have more talent at Florida and I suspect that he will have them competitive sooner rather than later.

I didn't mean he only had 2 and 3 star talent, but just that it was the bulk of his hauls on the recruiting trail. There's a big difference in a bunch of 3 stars and going somewhere with mostly 4 stars is what I was getting at. And when you have more 2 stars than 5, that's not a recipe for winning, especially in the SEC west. Sorry, next time I'll break down every recruit, instead of generalizing the talent gap between MSU and Florida. My main point was that we don't know how he'll do with better players.

I'm pretty sure I said the larger portion of his players were 3 stars. But it isn't like he had no 4 star talent on the team (more than 2 stars).

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2018

@gdawg4life said:

@Teddy said:

@DawgsofWar said:

Concerning the stars - I heard a wise man once say a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile. Or something like that.

@gdawg4life said:

@Teddy said:

@gdawg4life said:

@Teddy said:

@DawgsofWar said:

I'm pretty sure I said the larger portion of his players were 3 stars. But it isn't like he had no 4 star talent on the team (more than 2 stars).

Again, you’re missing the whole point. He now has a lot more talent. So we shall see what he does with it. MSU was happy to get a top 25 class, UF strives for top 5-10. Big difference. UF in a coaching transition year got the 14th ranked class this year. Not too bad all things considered.

@JRT812 said:

@gdawg4life said:

@Teddy said:

@DawgsofWar said:

Concerning the stars - I heard a wise man once say a squirrel finds a nut every now and then. Or something like that.

A blind squirrel at that

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@JRT812 said:

@gdawg4life said:

@Teddy said:

@DawgsofWar said:

Concerning the stars - I heard a wise man once say a squirrel finds a nut every now and then. Or something like that.

A blind squirrel at that

Thanks for the clarification and fixed my post. Hate to misquote Daniel.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@gdawg4life said:

@Teddy said:

@gdawg4life said:

@Teddy said:

@DawgsofWar said:

Again, you’re missing the whole point. He now has a lot more talent. So we shall see what he does with it. MSU was happy to get a top 25 class, UF strives for top 5-10. Big difference. UF in a coaching transition year got the 14th ranked class this year. Not too bad all things considered.

Georgia was ranked 6 in 2016 with a coaching change. Not too bad all things considered with a coach that did not show up until after the national championship game.

@oldon42 said:

@Teddy said:

@gdawg4life said:

@Teddy said:

@gdawg4life said:

@Teddy said:

@DawgsofWar said:

Georgia was ranked 6 in 2016 with a coaching change. Not too bad all things considered with a coach that did not show up until after the national championship game.

Georgia also wasn’t coming off a 4-7 season in 2016.

@Teddy said:

In 2015 coming of a SEC east championship and a 10-4 record Florida was #11 in recruiting Georgia was 10–3 and #6 in recruiting.
    In 2016 coming of a SEC east championship and a 9-4 record Florida was #11 in recruiting Georgia was 8-5 and #3 in recruiting.
    In 2017 coming of a 4-7 record Florida was #14 in recruiting Georgia was 13-2 and #1 in recruiting.

Do you see the pattern Florida is going down and Georgia is going up. This is not going to change until Florida starts recruiting better. If you are going to compete with the Georgia's, Ohio State's, USC's Clemson's and Alabama's you must recruit with them. That was what was wrong with CMR and that is what CKS changed.

Florida is not even beating out Florida State and that is their long term problem. Along with the fact the Miami has pulled even in recruiting.

@oldon42 said:

@Teddy said:

In 2015 coming of a SEC east championship and a 10-4 record Florida was #11 in recruiting Georgia was 10–3 and #6 in recruiting.
    In 2016 coming of a SEC east championship and a 9-4 record Florida was #11 in recruiting Georgia was 8-5 and #3 in recruiting.
    In 2017 coming of a 4-7 record Florida was #14 in recruiting Georgia was 13-2 and #1 in recruiting.

Do you see the pattern Florida is going down and Georgia is going up. This is not going to change until Florida starts recruiting better. If you are going to compete with the Georgia's, Ohio State's, USC's Clemson's and Alabama's you must recruit with them. That was what was wrong with CMR and that is what CKS changed.

Florida is not even beating out Florida State and that is their long term problem. Along with the fact the Miami has pulled even in recruiting.

Again, you’re missing my whole original point, Mullen has a lot more talent than he did at MSU. Not saying that’ll translate into East titles or anything. Just that we don’t know what will happen yet.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@oldon42 said:

@Teddy said:

Again, you’re missing my whole original point, Mullen has a lot more talent than he did at MSU. Not saying that’ll translate into East titles or anything. Just that we don’t know what will happen yet.

I think UF will be better next season. We will be transitioning to a lot of new defensive starters. But UF has not recruited well in the past several years. Mullen won't be strappin' on the pads.

How many of the suspended players are going to be back this year?

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@oldon42 said:

I think I recall the Gainesville Sun saying a lot of them.

• andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior

Todd Grantham was Mullen's first mistake (blind squirrel comment his second) and will prove to be his achilles heel.

@donm said:

@oldon42 said:

I think I recall the Gainesville Sun saying a lot of them.

You get the point Fl will be better this year.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We need a mascot to dress up as a blind squirrel in Jacksonville this year and be accidentally bumping into a bunch of Gators on the sidelines, etc.. Maybe knock one or two down accidentally...

Just annoy the piss out of those rednecks.

Before the game we can send him to the campus’s bookstore with a debit card to buy some electronics, then he can try to sell them to Florida fans during the game. He just shows them the debit card when they ask what he’s doing.

• dawgs18dawgs18 Posts: 183 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Teddy said:

@gdawg4life said:

@Teddy said:

@gdawg4life said:

@Teddy said:

@DawgsofWar said:

I wouldn’t say Mullen has a ton more talent right now at fla than MS state ...Mcelwain recruited poorly and MSU had a better class than Fla in 2015, had an avg ranking of 87 to UF 88 in 2016 and 86 to UF 89 in 2017....overall the talent at UF is not there and that was big part of Mcelwains issue once the muschamp era guys left. The UF roster as a whole is very marginally better if at all than Mullen’s at MSU as it stands today. For Mullen to field a better team at UF than MSU he is going to have to start getting top 10 classes with a few elite 5 stars each year starting in 2019 and then by 2021-2022 May be just May be he can field a better team than what he had at MSU - the problem is at this trajectory UGA will have an NFL roster by that point.

• dawgs18dawgs18 Posts: 183 ✭✭✭ Junior

That avg player ranking in the class ^

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can’t wait to see TG yelling up and down the side line as Fromm and co light that scoreboard up.

• MyKeithbb09MyKeithbb09 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭ Junior

@law_dawg35 said:
    42 - 7 how much better do you think they're going to be this coming year, compared to how much better we're going to be this coming year.

You spoke the truth then