Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

A&M recruiting tactics. What do y'all think?

TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22593204/jalen-ramsey-jacksonville-jaguars-calls-texas-aggies-assistant-recruiting-post

A&M using FSU DBs that made it to the NFL under Fisher as a recruiting tool on Twitter. Not sure this is the best tactic. I wouldn't want UGA posting all the Bama players Kirby helped get to the NFL all over twitter. I understand if you want to mention it in recruiting visits, but I don't want it on social media as it looks kind of desperate (especially since it shows you can't promote previous players at A&M). I haven't seen anything of the sort from UGA, so hope they've never done it.

What do y'all think? And I like Ramsey's response about how Fisher didn't help him once on being a DB.

Comments

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fisher knows out side of Kirk, the draft class of A&M is very weak. Not to mention Myles Garrett had a weak rookie season. From what was expected out of him. Fisher just trying to get his program out there. If he was going to do a Texas A&M poster it would have all lineman on it because they have produced a ton of lineman to the league. Which isn’t very attractive to skill position players. Plus Texas swept up all the top corners in the state last cycle. So he trying to show he can get them to the league. But Ramsey did poke a hole in the plan.

I have about decided that former FSU players must not like Fisher very much.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dbrown7494 said:
    Fisher knows out side of Kirk, the draft class of A&M is very weak. Not to mention Myles Garrett had a weak rookie season. From what was expected out of him. Fisher just trying to get his program out there. If he was going to do a Texas A&M poster it would have all lineman on it because they have produced a ton of lineman to the league. Which isn’t very attractive to skill position players. Plus Texas swept up all the top corners in the state last cycle. So he trying to show he can get them to the league. But Ramsey did poke a hole in the plan.

Yeah, not sure if they do or don't like him. But at least it looks like they've got their school's back, and are trying to make sure A&M doesn't take any credit for their work. A&M does have 33 players on active rosters, but you're right most of the significant ones are o-line, with a few d-line, and then Mike Evans. That leaves a lot of holes to cover on the recruiting trail, when you're trying to show them you can get them to the league.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, it was a mistake. How much would the poster really have gotten them if Jalen hadn’t said anything? And then Jalen decided to cross his old coach and say something. Now it’s a PR bumble..

It is a weird thing though. UGA and LSU both go for the title RBU. But when you change coaches and have an entirely different staff coaching the team and calling plays, they still call market it as RBU even though the new staff might babe doing something entirely different.

I’m not saying UGA isn’t RBU. UGA is probably more RBU under Kirby than it was under Richt. And I haven’t been keeping up with LSU. So I probably need a better example to me my point than RBU.

Maybe the better example is calling UGA RBU under Richt? They had a weak line and Richt emphasized passing heavily. But we still got great RB’s recruited, Chubb Michel Gurley all under Richt, even though we probably shouldn’t have.

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:
    Yeah, it was a mistake. How much would the poster really have gotten them if Jalen hadn’t said anything? And then Jalen decided to cross his old coach and say something. Now it’s a PR bumble..

It is a weird thing though. UGA and LSU both go for the title RBU. But when you change coaches and have an entirely different staff coaching the team and calling plays, they still call market it as RBU even though the new staff might babe doing something entirely different.

I’m not saying UGA isn’t RBU. UGA is probably more RBU under Kirby than it was under Richt. And I haven’t been keeping up with LSU. So I probably need a better example to me my point than RBU.

Maybe the better example is calling UGA RBU under Richt? They had a weak line and Richt emphasized passing heavily. But we still got great RB’s recruited, Chubb Michel Gurley all under Richt, even though we probably shouldn’t have.

I think UGA and LSU can lay claim to RBU since they've had some of the best backs spanning decades, coaching changes, and the shift in more pass happy offenses. That's how you get to make claims such as RBU, DBU, etc. When you've transcended multiple coaching staffs and still done it at the highest level. Riding the coattails of another team isn't a good look for A&M.

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Texas A&M put out the poster to try to combat LSU's recruiting niche as DBU. aTm is trying to say that our coaching staff put alot of DBs in the league so come here instead of LSU.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

RBU is UGA before Richt (Herschel, etc), during Richt (Moreno, Chubb, Gurley, Marshall, Crowell, Michel), and now after Richt (Swift, Zeus,...)

LSU actually could lay a better claim as DBU (although FSU has better HOFs).

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Thelordjohnson said:
    RBU is UGA before Richt (Herschel, etc), during Richt (Moreno, Chubb, Gurley, Marshall, Crowell, Michel), and now after Richt (Swift, Zeus,...)

Have no idea why that was down voted. I agrees with the comment

@JRT812 said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

Have no idea why that was down voted. I agrees with the comment

Its life I dont even react anymore lol

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Thelordjohnson said:

USCjr > FSU at getting DBs to play in the league over the last ten years.
    Also, Tex, OSt, Bama, LSU >FSU
    Using the CBS formula (NFL starts, Pro Bowl appearances, draft selections, first round picks) FSU ranks third in the state of Florida.
    But Deion Sanders was the greatest, and second place is lagging way behind.

• KobeBryantKobeBryant Posts: 52 ✭✭ Sophomore

All is fair in recruiting so long as it's legal. Jimbo is trying to get A&M to an elite level and change the soft culture down there in Aggieland. (In this respect, very similar to what Kirby did). To do that, he needs to recruit perennial top ten classes. (Sumlin was a decent recruiter but not exceptional, which led to the state being poached.) Anything legal - or at least not egregiously illegal - is a means to that end. It's working so far as he's got a pair of safeties committed who the whole country wants and they're in the lead for many other blue chip -
    Including cornerbacks and OTs that we want - prospects. More power to him as far as I'm concerned. The more elite kids that stay in state and sign with A&M (and Texas, TCU, Baylor, etc.) represent a kick in the knees to Saban, Meyer, & Harbaugh.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@KobeBryant said:
    All is fair in recruiting so long as it's legal. Jimbo is trying to get A&M to an elite level and change the soft culture down there in Aggieland. (In this respect, very similar to what Kirby did). To do that, he needs to recruit perennial top ten classes. (Sumlin was a decent recruiter but not exceptional, which led to the state being poached.) Anything legal - or at least not egregiously illegal - is a means to that end. It's working so far as he's got a pair of safeties committed who the whole country wants and they're in the lead for many other blue chip -
    Including cornerbacks and OTs that we want - prospects. More power to him as far as I'm concerned. The more elite kids that stay in state and sign with A&M (and Texas, TCU, Baylor, etc.) represent a kick in the knees to Saban, Meyer, & Harbaugh.

And UGA?

• KobeBryantKobeBryant Posts: 52 ✭✭ Sophomore

@donm said:

@KobeBryant said:

And UGA?

?

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Will it affect our recruiting in TX?

• JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 8,553 admin

Sketch play here. If the school or DB coach isn't the same, I'd walk away.

Six Degrees of Separation is cool for that Kevin Bacon game. Not so cool for 'crootin edits. There should far better things that A&M likely has to promote their program than claiming fruit off the FSU tree.

Just go with the Fisher QB tree. That makes much more sense.

The biggest reach for me was the perception that those were Fisher's DBs. That guy didn't really work with that position on a day-to-day basis.

edited February 2018

@JoelSidneyKelly I disagree with most schools because Ramsey and Rhodes are elites at their positions and cant say many schools besides LSU offer multiple elites. PJ and Darby are also very good players.

Deion sets the bracket so high but which is why I give it to FSU but as far as last ten years LSU, Buckeyes, and FSU would be up there (along with Florida).

• andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior

How was James Coley able to go into Texas and pluck Tommy Bush? What was the connection?

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dbrown7494 said:

You have decided right. I didn't know just how unpopular he was....with players and with the FSU big-wigs....until he was gone, and I work in Tallahassee around quite a few FSU alums and boosters. I don't think he was as unpopular as Donnan was here towards the end of his tenure, but Fisher was definitely getting there.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If I were a hs db coming up I would look at the teams schedulee/level of competition.

Then who the D coordinator and dB coach is. After that it’s academic fit, culture, and whether you’re good enough to get run.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jimbo and A&M should stress all the success Johnny Manzell had in the NFL...