Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Shame on us for being so gullible. I'll explain...

Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Once again corrupt coaches manage to change topic to “paying college athletes”

The Problem: Ongoing FBI investigation begins to expose obvious criminal collusion by high profile college coaches, shady agents, the AAU, shoe companies, etc. involving illegal payments to top rated HS basketball players involving tens of thousands of dollars.

The Coaches Response: While looking like their dog just died, almost all high profile coaches issue intentionally vague legalistic reactions citing “ongoing FBI investigation” while skillfully changing the subject by convincing John Q. Public that there is a need to have discussions about the subject of “paying college athletes”.

John Q. Public's Response: We dutifully begin to discuss among ourselves once again the tired and totally unrelated topic of “whether we need to be paying college athletes”, while basically ignoring the real problem of high level corruption in college basketball.

Am I wrong?

Comments

• Options
    BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It reminds me of school shootings. Instead of making it a mental health problem, which is what it is, "we" say it is a gun problem.

• Options
    jarred_buckjarred_buck Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Red_N_Black said:
    Once again corrupt coaches manage to change topic to “paying college athletes”

The Problem: Ongoing FBI investigation begins to expose obvious criminal collusion by high profile college coaches, shady agents, the AAU, shoe companies, etc. involving illegal payments to top rated HS basketball players involving tens of thousands of dollars.

The Coaches Response: While looking like their dog just died, almost all high profile coaches issue intentionally vague legalistic reactions citing “ongoing FBI investigation” while skillfully changing the subject by convincing John Q. Public that there is a need to have discussions about the subject of “paying college athletes”.

John Q. Public's Response: We dutifully begin to discuss among ourselves once again the tired and totally unrelated topic of “whether we need to be paying college athletes”, while basically ignoring the real problem of high level corruption in college basketball.

Am I wrong?

I couldn’t agree more! Whether or not these students should get paid has nothing to do with the fact that this illegal stuff was going on. It’s the same tired argument that people have about whether or not pot should be legal when we have student athletes get busted for it.

You will never agree with every rule given to you, but rules are rules. Period. Until the rules are changed, you should do your best to follow them, or there should be consequences.

• Options
    DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BiffLowman said:
    It reminds me of school shootings. Instead of making it a mental health problem, which is what it is, "we" say it is a gun problem.

Yet in the last year we've cut public funding for mental health programs, removed restrictions that prevented private insurance companies from not covering mental health and removed executive branch restrictions on the mentally ill being able to purchase firearms.

We only say it's a "mental health problem" when the alternative is a "gun problem". When we have a chance to address the mental health side... we don't do that either.

But yeah... this probably isn't the place for that talk.

• Options
    BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawginSC said:

@BiffLowman said:

Yet in the last year we've cut public funding for mental health programs, removed restrictions that prevented private insurance companies from not covering mental health and removed executive branch restrictions on the mentally ill being able to purchase firearms.

We only say it's a "mental health problem" when the alternative is a "gun problem". When we have a chance to address the mental health side... we don't do that either.

I am a basketball coach at a metro Atlanta high school. We have 5 coaches on staff. For the entire school of 1500 students, we have 4 counselors. that's 1 for every 375 kids. That is unacceptable.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BiffLowman said:

@DawginSC said:

@BiffLowman said:

I am a basketball coach at a metro Atlanta high school. We have 5 coaches on staff. For the entire school of 1500 students, we have 4 counselors. that's 1 for every 375 kids. That is unacceptable.

That is crazy.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BiffLowman said:

Biff don’t get me started especially reading your other post about the lack of resources. It’s even more than a mental health issue. It’s a web of issues that are creating on big issue. People are focusing on one portion guns, gov, health, etc. They all have something in play. Gun advocate here, but sure, Inam willing to give up something like a bump stock if it helps. Better screenings or the Gov. pay attention to screenings would be a good start. Mental health.... good grief how many more pills and other crap are we going to enforce before we realize it’s a racket? How about morals at home and in other places? Maybe we should start there and acting like a community that cares about the general public instead of the general opinion.

Biff even mentioned the lack of resources he had at his school. Adding resources that will make a positive difference maybe should on top of the agenda befor removing guns in general. Someone needs to review the priorities for the nation. I apologize if I offend someone one but there is more important stuff than removing guns. Again NRA member and gun rights supporter but will be the first to admit improvements can also be made in that area.

• Options
    andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BojanglesInsider said:
    It's a microcosm of how easily John Q. Public's attention is diverted to the most emotional debate in the room. Been going on for decades. Not surprising.

Everyday gameplan of politicians.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is it actually "illegal"? Are there actual state for federal laws against paying athletes in college? Could be an issue of not reporting it as income on taxes, but other than that it seems to be a simple NCAA rules violation. Can someone go to jail for slipping an athlete some money under the table?

• Options
    Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@pgjackson said:
    Is it actually "illegal"? Are there actual state for federal laws against paying athletes in college? Could be an issue of not reporting it as income on taxes, but other than that it seems to be a simple NCAA rules violation. Can someone go to jail for slipping an athlete some money under the table?

This article might shed a little light on what kind of crimes that are being exposed.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/09/26/fbi-corruption-college-basketball-fraud-louisville-bribe

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Red_N_Black said:

@pgjackson said:

This article might shed a little light on what kind of crimes that are being exposed.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/09/26/fbi-corruption-college-basketball-fraud-louisville-bribe

Wow. There are a lot of rules out there and more than a few seem to have been broken. I just thought of it as cheating but evidently It goes much further than that.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

I remember that in Georgia, when Gurley got busted selling those autographs to pay to fix his Mom’s roof, the memorabilia collector he signed the autographs for was also the guy who turned him in to the NCAA. And he got in no trouble whatsoever.

However, following the incident, I remember Georgia state government passing some kind of a law making it a crime to assist a collegiate athlete in breaking NCAA violations.

That’s from memory though. I’d be surprised if I didn’t get some detail wrong.

The way I remember it though, if it’s not an NCAA violation, then there’s no law being violated. So it’s still kind of comes down to NCAA regulations.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:

@pgjackson said:

I remember that in Georgia, when Gurley got busted selling those autographs to pay to fix his Mom’s roof, the memorabilia collector he signed the autographs for was also the guy who turned him in to the NCAA. And he got in no trouble whatsoever.

However, following the incident, I remember Georgia state government passing some kind of a law making it a crime to assist a collegiate athlete in breaking NCAA violations.

That’s from memory though. I’d be surprised if I didn’t get some detail wrong.

The way I remember it though, if it’s not an NCAA violation, then there’s no law being violated. So it’s still kind of comes down to NCAA regulations.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/12843415/georgia-gov-nathan-deal-signs-law-punish-enticement-student-athletes-break-ncaa-rules