Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

I Hate To Say I Told You So! Matta Will Turn Down Job...Just Watch and See

nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior

Matta is back home. Yesterday he brought his family and no announcement was made. It's a wrap!

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Clearly you love to say ''I told you so''.
    I'll still wait for an announcement.

• AgDawgAgDawg Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The fact that he brought them all the way down here tells you he was pretty serious about it. I doubt they saw Athens and just hated. Maybe give it some time before we move on, Nancy.

• nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited March 2018

Gawd, I hope I'm wrong, but my gut NEVER tells me wrong

edited March 2018

@WCDawg said:

It was just taking too long to accept the offer. He couldve accepted the offer but not announce the contract agreement.

He wanted us to "make him an offer he could not refuse" (overpay) and it hasn't happened. I'm thinking he didn't get more because of his health.

@nycdawg said:

@WCDawg said:

It was just taking too long to accept the offer. He couldve accepted the offer but not announce the contract agreement.

We'll know when we know.

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seth is reporting that the offer is for over $3 million per year, 2nd highest paid coach in the SEC. Sounds like we are overpaying.

• BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Dang, I swear some of you guys must stand in front of a microwave while cooking and yell "HURRY!" :D
    Patience, Grasshoppers. This stuff takes time. I see a positive over Matta's taking 2 trips in 2 days -- 1 with daughter and 1 with wife. This is what he's done in past before accepting jobs (google pics of his prior hirings).
    I don't know if he will accept or not. But I see this as all part of the process and am not panicking.
    Remember, UGA was in a similar boat with Kirby -- the top candidate who had been "pre-contacted" even before UGA let its coach go. But it still took about 1 week from Richt's firing for Kirby's hiring to be announced.

edited March 2018

@MIghtydawg said:
    Seth is reporting that the offer is for over $3 million per year, 2nd highest paid coach in the SEC. Sounds like we are overpaying.

Exactly!

The reason why I KNOW its a wrap with this guy is that he brought his family to Athen yesterday only to return back Indy without an agreement. He's NOT coming back. He turned down Ole Miss and now us.

I've heard several reasons as to why or why no he accepts an offer such as him leveraging us to get what he really wants, his health, inability to recruit, honestly, I think its a combination of all three.

Moving on- I would be just as happy with Ron Hunter

@BullyDawg said:
    Dang, I swear some of you guys must stand in front of a microwave while cooking and yell "HURRY!" :D
    Patience, Grasshoppers. This stuff takes time. I see a positive over Matta's taking 2 trips in 2 days -- 1 with daughter and 1 with wife. This is what he's done in past before accepting jobs (google pics of his prior hirings).
    I don't know if he will accept or not. But I see this as all part of the process and am not panicking.
    Remember, UGA was in a similar boat with Kirby -- the top candidate who had been "pre-contacted" even before UGA let its coach go. But it still took about 1 week from Richt's firing for Kirby's hiring to be announced.

You are right- I'm very impatient which is my Achilles heel. I just want us to win and that is all. I live in NYC but I eat and breath UGA. It's my family and I'm not afraid to admit to it.

@MIghtydawg said:

It won't be overpaying ( though all D1 coaches are obscenely compensated) in context to market value. The difference in winning at a high level and winning just 3 NCAA Tourney games in the past 31 years would be huge.
    The question is, if we build it, will we come ?
    The only question when looking at the program's inherent ceiling is fan support.
    Can we fill the smallish Stege every night ?

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I will have your dinner ready. Just incase you are wrong.

@BamaDawg said:

I will have your dinner ready. Just incase you are wrong.

deal- :)

• PerfectdawgPerfectdawg Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

If we want tournament entries every year or every other year we have to hire a PROVEN coach. That is a fact in College Basketball. We hire another mid major coach and we are going to be in the same position for the next ten years imo. So lets hope Matta takes the job or we can get into Crean's head. I just do not agree with another mid major anything. Now we are going to hear "Well so and so can recruit Atlanta or this area or that area!" That is great! What if he can't coach major college basketball? The homerun in Football was we hired a guy that was and always has been a top five power recruiter and can recruit ALL fifty states, and he can coach his rear end off with PROVEN success. Ill leave it at that and take the commentary.

• PerfectdawgPerfectdawg Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

@nycdawg said:

@BullyDawg said:

You are right- I'm very impatient which is my Achilles heel. I just want us to win and that is all. I live in NYC but I eat and breath UGA. It's my family and I'm not afraid to admit to it.

And there were ten million theories based on the freaking UGA plane tail wing number. Flighttracker and flightaware got more hits during that week than any site in this country I bet. Glad the plane didn't fly to DC for a trip. We would have been hiring President Obama due to social media lol.

• imissmunsonimissmunson Posts: 255 ✭✭✭ Junior

@nycdawg said:
    Matta is back home. Yesterday he brought his family and no announcement was made. It's a wrap!

You were right, unfortunately.

• gdawg4lifegdawg4life Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's being reported that he will turn down the offer. @nycdawg was right.

• Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@nycdawg said:

I'm with you bro., Ask any salesman, whether it be automobiles, insurance or vinyl siding, you never let them leave without closing the deal. If they leave to think about it, you can be sure, it never happens.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • SIlverCreekDawgSIlverCreekDawg Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

Way to blow it, Ears. You can't let Matta think we didn't believe he could do the job, and that's exactly what happened.
    Oh well, Crean or Hunter. Who do you want?

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So he he isn’t ready to come back to work, but wants to interview for the job