Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Tubby Smith looking for a Gig

TARDAWGTARDAWG Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

Memphis just fired Tubby, any chance we have a second dance?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    georgiaboygeorgiaboy Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    TARDAWGTARDAWG Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

Because he left us for UK, or because he is old, or because you think he can't coach. Best years in the last 30 was when he was driving the ship.

• Options
    DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why not? Tubby ran the show the last time UGA was relevant without cheating (under Jim Harrick). He was with us 2 years, 2 tourney bids and one trip to the sweet 16.

I'm a fully supportive YES.

• Options
    AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No. If he left us once for a better job, he would not be fully engaged this time around. We need a coach that views the UGA job as a destination job and not some stop on the way.

• Options
    CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think you can do worse than Tubby honestly. I think he knows the clock is ticking out on his career and wouldn't be looking to go anywhere else. Plus he could possibly groom a potential younger coach as well to take over in a few years.

• Options
    BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@CoachRob16 said:
    I think you can do worse than Tubby honestly. I think he knows the clock is ticking out on his career and wouldn't be looking to go anywhere else. Plus he could possibly groom a potential younger coach as well to take over in a few years.

That's what @Chip_Towers just wrote an article about: Bringing back Tubby to groom Jonas. https://www.dawgnation.com/football/dawgnation/tubby-smith-jonas-hayes-teaming-uga-basketball

Don't know how I feel about this yet, but I gotta admit: I always loved Tubby!

• Options
    icecolddawgicecolddawg Posts: 250 ✭✭✭ Junior

DN, I think Coach Tubby would be an awesome fit. Especially if you are keeping Jonas as the next in line which also keeps your top tier recruits. Why not allow him a few years to groom Jonas?

• Options
    UGAKev25UGAKev25 Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Thats a BIG NO for me. I am getting to the point of just being ok with giving Jonas Hayes a shot. Recruits love him. Give him 3 years to see what he can do. Get the 2019 class back together. If it doesn't workout look again.

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Whoever we end up hiring needs to be able to recruit our in-state talent. Think Jonas could do the job recruiting wise, but he would need to have an experienced bench coach lined up to help him with game management and running the program, maybe someone with head coaching experience. Not real crazy about Tubby, but I could see hiring him with Jonas staying on as coach-in-waiting. If we offer job to Crean and he turns it down, then we need to make sure the next choice accepts. Don't want us to look like Tennessee during their football HC debacle.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who knows, maybe we already secretly have our man. :)

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tubby was great when he was here, but that ship has sailed. He is 66 and is no longer a rising star. No disrespect meant to him, but we can do better. I hope.

• Options
    DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greshamdisco said:
    Tubby was great when he was here, but that ship has sailed. He is 66 and is no longer a rising star. No disrespect meant to him, but we can do better. I hope.

In all honesty... do we want a rising star?

We are a destination coaching job for football. We just aren't in basketball and I don't think we ever will be. We're more like Mississippi State is in football. If we get an "Up and comer" and they have success (like Tubby the first go around)... they'll be gone in 2-4 years. Just like Dan Mullen went to Florida.

I think we have a better chance at long term success and stability by taking an old coach and riding them into the grave. Younger coaches who are average... we keep for a decade (see Mark Fox). If they're either good or bad... they're gone in 4 years.

Gimme the old guy for basketball.