Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Crean: How much time do we give him?

BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As with any new coach, there will be many who will have unrealistic expectations. My question is how much time do we give him to get his own people in and (hopefully) win? When we got CKS, I told everyone to give him 3 years before we can really judge him and see what his program looks like. What about basketball? Is three years enough? 2?

Comments

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2018

Considering how long Fox and Richt stuck around, I'd say 9 to 15 years. :D Once we lock down the in-state talent, The Peaches & Crean show is going to be an exciting brand of basketball to watch!

Give him time!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I say Crean needs to land a 5 star recruit this coming week or we void his contract... >:)

• Options
    edited March 2018

@Silver_Britches said:
    Considering how long Fox and Richt stuck around, I'd say 9 to 15 years. :D Once we lock down the in-state talent, The Peaches & Crean show is going to be an exciting brand of basketball to watch!

Give him time!

GO DAWGS!

Why do people lump Richt who won right at 10 games a year, 2 SEC titles, 6 East titles, finished in the top 10 8 times and came very close to playing for 2national titles in with Fox who won nothing of note ?

• Options
    jgf1031jgf1031 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Silver_Britches said:

Give him time!

GO DAWGS!

Why do people lump Richt who won right at 10 games a year, 2 SEC titles, 6 East titles, finished in the top 10 8 times and came very close to playing for 2national titles in with Fox who won nothing of note ?

10 wins a season was nice, don't get me wrong. But I for one got tired of losing big games. Anytime after 05, when we appeared in the SECCG, we either lost in heartbreaking fashion (2012) or just got straight up creamed (2011...) Our fan base wanted more trophies and with an avg of 10 wins a season, we should've had more.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Richt and Fox were similar in that both appeared to run clean programs, valued the well-being of their players and were excellent public representatives of the University. That is where the similarity ends. As @WCDawg laid out, Richt had us frequently in the national discussion, won 2 SEC titles and turned the tide against several local rivals in his tenure (Tennessee, Auburn, Florida to a lesser degree, we'd also lost 3 straight to the Gnats). To lump Richt and Fox in together is just lazy analysis.

• Options

@jgf1031 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Silver_Britches said:

Give him time!

GO DAWGS!

10 wins a season was nice, don't get me wrong. But I for one got tired of losing big games. Anytime after 05, when we appeared in the SECCG, we either lost in heartbreaking fashion (2012) or just got straight up creamed (2011...) Our fan base wanted more trophies and with an avg of 10 wins a season, we should've had more.

Fair enough, but acting as if he is in Fox's area code is very inaccurate. His winning percentage is better than Dooley's. He also won most of his bowl games to go with his SEC titles and top 10 seasons. Fox never even won a single NCAA Tourney game.
    I was ready to move on just before Pruitt was hired, but we were making great progress on defense when Richt was finally let go, just bad timing.

• Options
    CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

@jgf1031 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Silver_Britches said:

Give him time!

GO DAWGS!

Kirby lost two Big games this year. At Auburn and NC game and Auburn wasn't close and NC was heartbreaking. So really no difference in that relation.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@jgf1031 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Silver_Britches said:

Give him time!

GO DAWGS!

Fair enough, but acting as if he is in Fox's area code is very inaccurate. His winning percentage is better than Dooley's. He also won most of his bowl games to go with his SEC titles and top 10 seasons. Fox never even won a single NCAA Tourney game.
    I was ready to move on just before Pruitt was hired, but we were making great progress on defense when Richt was finally let go, just bad timing.

Agreed. He and Fox have nothing in common as far as performance on the field/court.

• Options

@CoachRob16 said:

@jgf1031 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Silver_Britches said:

Give him time!

GO DAWGS!

Kirby lost two Big games this year. At Auburn and NC game and Auburn wasn't close and NC was heartbreaking. So really no difference in that relation.

Fair enough! But 15 years of the same thing was more gut-wrenching.

• Options
    BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I do give @Silver_Britches an uv for "Peaches and Crean".

• Options
    CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

@jgf1031 said:

@CoachRob16 said:

@jgf1031 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Silver_Britches said:

Give him time!

GO DAWGS!

Look I totally agree that it was time for a change in Football. Loved Richt but we needed a new voice and different approach. Basketball with Fox to me just never was exciting and had no energy and a new leader was needed a few years ago.

• Options

@CoachRob16 said:

@jgf1031 said:

@CoachRob16 said:

@jgf1031 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Silver_Britches said:

Give him time!

GO DAWGS!

Look I totally agree that it was time for a change in Football. Loved Richt but we needed a new voice and different approach. Basketball with Fox to me just never was exciting and had no energy and a new leader was needed a few years ago.

Agreed. Honestly, I was too young to remember a time when UGA was decent in BBall. So I never really became a fan. I would LOVE for that to change.

• Options
    cfc136cfc136 Posts: 61 ✭✭ Sophomore

You always have to give a coach the length of a time of his first recruiting class.

• Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CoachRob16 said:

@jgf1031 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Silver_Britches said:

Give him time!

GO DAWGS!

I disagree with half your statement. I agree that the AU loss falls in the the Richt category, but the NC game (while heartbreaking) isnt. First and foremost, there is no way we would have even been there if Richt had been the coach. We would have lost at ND and then probably to mizzu, not to mention the AU game. We all saw how Miami came out of the gate like Secretariat on steroids. But how many of you knew, just knew, that it was only a matter of time. No, the NCG was that extra present you get from your grandparents after you have opened the ones from Santa Claus. Not the same.

Lets say we had the same record with Richt heading into the AU game and had lost like we did, how many would have been confident that we would have been in the the SECCG, much less won the rematch?

Every coach is going to lose a big game every now and then. Richt would lose at least 1, normally 2, a year.

Lastly, as I told my sister (huge CMR fan), if I had to pick one college FB coach to raise my son, it would be Richt. If I had to pick one to coach him in football, it wouldn't be Richt.

• Options
    tbiatbia Posts: 53 ✭✭ Sophomore

We give him until he decides to run a 12 man first half rotation in a must win game in mid-February.

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Honestly though not many teams would have one that Saturday afternoon against Auburn the first time around. That was a buzz saw waiting to happen. It was just about as much of a trap game as you could get.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

Jack Bauer named new AD.......

• Options
    Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@BiffLowman said:
    As with any new coach, there will be many who will have unrealistic expectations. My question is how much time do we give him to get his own people in and (hopefully) win? When we got CKS, I told everyone to give him 3 years before we can really judge him and see what his program looks like. What about basketball? Is three years enough? 2?

Let's see - We been playing basketball at UGA since 1891. That's 127 seasons of mostly bad to occasionally mediocre basketball. What's the rush all of a sudden. Lets ease up on our new coach a little bit.

• Options
    edited March 2018

@Red_N_Black said:

@BiffLowman said:

Let's see - We been playing basketball at UGA since 1891. That's 127 seasons of mostly bad to occasionally mediocre basketball. What's the rush all of a sudden. Lets ease up on our new coach a little bit.

Crean will make more than Tony Bennett, yes Virginia got owned, but they average 28 wins a season and came into the tourney #1 overall.
    That doesn't mean we should demand that level of success, but he should be a big bump up from where we've been.
    If I was calling the shots I would have done what Bama did to lure Saban, I would have QUIETLY made an obscene offer to a few of the true superstar coaches and see if one bit.