Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Any update on overall numbers now that Sping practice has started?

BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I know that @sethemerson has pinned an article after NSD about UGA's overall scholarship numbers situation, but I was wondering if @sethemerson or @Chip_Towers or @SavageDawg17 or anyone else has updated the predictions of how UGA gets under the 85 scolarship mark now that spring practice has started?

I know CKS didn't seem worried, which makes me think the coasches know something about comings and goings, but I'm still wondering...

Comments

  • SavageDawg17SavageDawg17 Posts: 1,534 mod

    @BullyDawg said:
    I know that @sethemerson has pinned an article after NSD about UGA's overall scholarship numbers situation, but I was wondering if @sethemerson or @Chip_Towers or @SavageDawg17 or anyone else has updated the predictions of how UGA gets under the 85 scolarship mark now that spring practice has started?

    I know CKS didn't seem worried, which makes me think the coasches know something about comings and goings, but I'm still wondering...

    The last I saw @sethemerson reporting a number it was still 89. As you may have heard during Kirby's presser he was asked if players like Sam Madden were still enrolled, he said yes and Madden was in fact at UGA Pro Day today.

    So I haven't heard of any movement in the number...yet.

  • theoriginalpitbulltheoriginalpitbull Posts: 112 ✭✭✭ Junior

    Agree with the 89 count. We've speculated a good bit about this ... in particular, I have had several theories:

    1. I'm convinced we'll lose at least one OL, maybe two, transfer by late April, early May.

    My fear is that some of our 4 and 5 star OLs will get frustrated if Mays, Hill and or Ericson pass them in spring practice.

    If we do lose OLs, I'd rather it be 3 stars guys, but bottom line CKS and CSP know what they're doing, and we'll be fine.

    1. Most likely we'll lose a DB to transfer. We have a lot of first year going on second year DBs who aren't on the depth chart yet. We also have one or two guys who've been with the team a few years and may transfer for more playing time elsewhere or may go the graduate transfer route.

    2. And there will be at least one guy who has academic issues and isn't with the team in August. Maybe a recruit has NCAA clearing house issues, or a current guy on the team gets behind on his "academic progress."

    3. Weed. At UGA weed can kill a football career.

    4. And then we could lose a player due to medical issues.

    Pretty sure we won't have trouble getting at or under the cap of 85.

  • BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited March 2018

    Thanks @SavageDawg17. I know some of the "suspected departures" appear to be returning, per CKS (e.g., D. Gibbs, N. Patrick).

    Interestingly, I heard CKS's comments on Sam Madden and thought I detected a little ambiguity: "As far as I know right now, Sam's still with the team." Doesn't sound super confident about his future, IMO...

  • CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    88 know with Mr Madden taking medical leave. Good luck to the young man and hope they find a good spot for him to still help the team

  • Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @theoriginalpitbull said:
    Agree with the 89 count. We've speculated a good bit about this ... in particular, I have had several theories:

    1. I'm convinced we'll lose at least one OL, maybe two, transfer by late April, early May.

    My fear is that some of our 4 and 5 star OLs will get frustrated if Mays, Hill and or Ericson pass them in spring practice.

    If we do lose OLs, I'd rather it be 3 stars guys, but bottom line CKS and CSP know what they're doing, and we'll be fine.

    1. Most likely we'll lose a DB to transfer. We have a lot of first year going on second year DBs who aren't on the depth chart yet. We also have one or two guys who've been with the team a few years and may transfer for more playing time elsewhere or may go the graduate transfer route.

    2. And there will be at least one guy who has academic issues and isn't with the team in August. Maybe a recruit has NCAA clearing house issues, or a current guy on the team gets behind on his "academic progress."

    3. Weed. At UGA weed can kill a football career.

    4. And then we could lose a player due to medical issues.

    Pretty sure we won't have trouble getting at or under the cap of 85.

    Agree we won't have a problem getting to the 85 but the who is important both in terms of positional needs for 2019 class and impact on the total number implication for 2019 especially if we lose rising seniors.

  • CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    I am heartened but surprise to hear folks saying we won't have a problem getting to 85. That means we need to lose 3 more guys.

  • donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @CaliforniaDawg said:
    I am heartened but surprise to hear folks saying we won't have a problem getting to 85. That means we need to lose 3 more guys.

    I would not be surprised to see 3 current players on the roster no longer there when the time comes. These things seem to have a way of working themselves out (or getting worked out).

  • BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2018

    I think a potential “Domino Effect” is whether DeMarcus Hayes can be counted on to develop into a legitimate second team OT for depth. If he can, then Ben Cleveland may stay at Guard which creates a bit of a log jam at both Guard and Center which probably makes an undersized player such as Chris Barnes a candidate to transfer.

    I can also see the possibility of Netori to switch to DL with his body type to replace Atkins and make up for the miss on Cooper to play the 0 and 1 technique.

    Edit: Forgot about the Justin Schaffer injury which probably means a redshirt for him this year.

Sign In or Register to comment.