Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Disabled Veteran

Comments

• Options
    tymoon31tymoon31 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:
    Yeah, it’s kind of funny when arguments get bitter over whether or not Fields has a chance to start over Fromm or not. But OP basically wanted a chair to sit in while waiting in line at G-Day. And didn’t think it was too much to ask, especially considering his disabilities were obtained serving the country in the military. So then a bunch of you start dumping on him because in his frustration, he went a little too far in criticizing the university.

This thread is just sad, you people who used this thread to dump on the guy should be ashamed of yourselves.

Even if it had nothing to do with the military, but was just a guy frustrated with medical issues he has to deal with, you could have just explained to him and expressed sympathy. E.g., it wouldn’t have been hard just to be nice when someone is talking about real issues they struggle with.

And yeah, it does sound like the guy didn’t plan as well as was possible. But not planning everything right is kind of de rigeur when it comes to travel in my experience.

Im ragging him cause he signed up knowing the risks. Ive been blown up 4 times, blown both knees, broken 2 vertebrae, broken collarbone, arthritis... never asked for special needs for my veteran status. Sounds like someone needs to man up and get over themselves.

• Options

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:
    Leave it to the army. You want a nipple for your beer bottle too?

What a jerk!!!

Poor thing, you need a chair?

• Options
    andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior

SHAQUEM GRIFFIN is one of the most heart warming stories of overcoming adversity I've ever heard. This is NOT to reflect on the original post.
    I have not been so moved by a story of love, devotion and determination. I simply wanted share.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tymoon31 said:

@levander said:
    Yeah, it’s kind of funny when arguments get bitter over whether or not Fields has a chance to start over Fromm or not. But OP basically wanted a chair to sit in while waiting in line at G-Day. And didn’t think it was too much to ask, especially considering his disabilities were obtained serving the country in the military. So then a bunch of you start dumping on him because in his frustration, he went a little too far in criticizing the university.

This thread is just sad, you people who used this thread to dump on the guy should be ashamed of yourselves.

Even if it had nothing to do with the military, but was just a guy frustrated with medical issues he has to deal with, you could have just explained to him and expressed sympathy. E.g., it wouldn’t have been hard just to be nice when someone is talking about real issues they struggle with.

And yeah, it does sound like the guy didn’t plan as well as was possible. But not planning everything right is kind of de rigeur when it comes to travel in my experience.

Im ragging him cause he signed up knowing the risks. Ive been blown up 4 times, blown both knees, broken 2 vertebrae, broken collarbone, arthritis... never asked for special needs for my veteran status. Sounds like someone needs to man up and get over themselves.

I just looked and you made like one quick comment that busted his balls. That wasn’t what I was talking about. I wouldn’t encourage that, but the truth is I’ve done way worse.

But I already said my peace, Felt like somebody needed to say something and it’s been said.

• Options
    PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A veteran can say whatever he or she wants about other veterans. We have that right. It may sound harsh to outsiders, but that's our world and we police our own. If you feel offended or get your feelings hurt by what we say about one another, leave the thread.

• Options
    BigGAdawgBigGAdawg Posts: 575 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@tymoon31 said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

What a jerk!!!

Still a jerk--easy to be rude when you think you are anonymous...

• Options

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

What a jerk!!!

Nothing anonymous about me... my name is in my screen name. Cant say as much for you.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@likarock4435 said:
    I am a disabled veteran of The Army and spent three years in the Iraq war. I had to get to the GDay game 3 hours ahead of game time to get tickets. Pretty crappy that the would not let me in the gate 30 mins early to be able to sit down or even bring me a chair to sit down on!! Saddening!! No respect for this country's veterans or what they have sacrificed for them ex. The simple ability to play football in a free country.

3 years, that's 2 extended tours. The average tour being 12 months.
    That is far longer than most tours in WWII as well.
    It's a compelling case for a draft in war time.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ghostofuga1 said:
    My dad will be 89 in August. Mom will be 87 in December season ticket holders for 45 plus years. They get around OK, but the walk to stadium is getting pretty tough for them. Not far away, but fairly long for someone of their age.

One thing I noticed in South Bend for the Notre Dame game is that the campus goes over and beyond to assist fans of both schools in hospitality and transportation of those in need or not. I really do hope that UGA will take notice an follow their awareness of those who need the help. Just a golf cart ride close to the gate would be 100x a step forward in what could be offered.

Heck there are federal laws that apply to WalMart about access to carts, etc, you'd think they would extend to sporting events.

• Options
    BigGAdawgBigGAdawg Posts: 575 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@tymoon31 said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

What a jerk!!!

Nothing anonymous about me... my name is in my screen name. Cant say as much for you.

Anonymity ends when you stand face to face with a man. what you use for your screen name means nothing in that regard. Go away child you are beginning to be boring. You have no grounds to be a rude jerk to veterans...who provide the free air you breathe.

Done.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

@BojanglesInsider said:
    Wow this thread has gone radioactive.

Bump

• Options

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

What a jerk!!!

Anonymity ends when you stand face to face with a man. what you use for your screen name means nothing in that regard. Go away child you are beginning to be boring. You have no grounds to be a rude jerk to veterans...who provide the free air you breathe.

Done.

I am a Veteran......

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tymoon31 said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

What a jerk!!!

Done.

I am a Veteran......

As am I and one thing I’ve learned is that people can be different...very different. One thing our service provides is the freedom to express our opinions, however unpleasant they may be to others. This freedom should be respected, even on a sometimes “goofy” forum like this.

• Options

@donm said:

@tymoon31 said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

What a jerk!!!

Done.

I am a Veteran......

As am I and one thing I’ve learned is that people can be different...very different. One thing our service provides is the freedom to express our opinions, however unpleasant they may be to others. This freedom should be respected, even on a sometimes “goofy” forum like this.

I'm tired of the poor me Vet status. It gives us all a bad name. What Veteran doesn't have bad knees? Assuming they werent a desk jockey. I've been to a lot of football games, I walk to the stadium jump around like a mad man, hurt the next day and embrace every second of it. The poor me sympathy card pisses me off. You knew your job, no one cares about your knees. Serve your country and go home to a better life. We all fought for the same rights to walk up in that stadium and pull for the Dawgs, but he wants special treatment for having the same problems as 60ish%(?) of the rest of Veterans? Give me a break. I have buddies missing both legs that wouldn't go around spewing the BS OP is.

• Options
    VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

What a jerk!!!

Done.

I’m a Vet and have no problem with people complaining about disability services and all that. The second you use the fact that you are a DV to garner sympathy or attack someone else patriotism you cross a line and I will call you out 100% of the time. Be thankful you have limbs below your knees big guy.

• Options
    DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2018

@VaBeachDawg said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

What a jerk!!!

Done.

I’m a Vet and have no problem with people complaining about disability services and all that. The second you use the fact that you are a DV to garner sympathy or attack someone else patriotism you cross a line and I will call you out 100% of the time. Be thankful you have limbs below your knees big guy.

Agree with what you said. I will take it a step further. OP has Do You Know Who I Am syndrome. There is an entitlement that the OP expects because he served in the military, doesn't get the expected service that he believes he should get and then condescends toward "them", whoever they are, because he is a veteran,

Money quote from the OP - "No respect for this country's veterans or what they have sacrificed for them ex. The simple ability to play football in a free country." Reminds me of Jack Nicholson in a Few Good Men albeit with a less than Oscar worthy script.

I'm a vet. Cold War. What this person said is garbage and should not be defended.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DamnYankeeDawg said:

@VaBeachDawg said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

What a jerk!!!

Done.

Agree with what you said. I will take it a step further. OP has Do You Know Who I Am syndrome. There is an entitlement that the OP expects because he served in the military, doesn't get the expected service that he believes he should get and then condescends toward "them", whoever they are, because he is a veteran,

Money quote from the OP - "No respect for this country's veterans or what they have sacrificed for them ex. The simple ability to play football in a free country." Reminds me of Jack Nicholson in a Few Good Men albeit with a less than Oscar worthy script.

I'm a vet. Cold War. What this person said is garbage and should not be defended.

Are you saying he doesn't have the right to express his feelings, even if they are misguided?

• Options
    DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@DamnYankeeDawg said:

@VaBeachDawg said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

What a jerk!!!

Done.

Are you saying he doesn't have the right to express his feelings, even if they are misguided?

Nope. He can say anything he wants. I just happen to strongly disagree with his statements that I placed in quotes.

• Options
    VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@DamnYankeeDawg said:

@VaBeachDawg said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

What a jerk!!!

Done.

He apsolutely has the right! Just like I have the right to tell him I don’t appreciate him playing the DV as ammo against the university because he felt slighted.

• Options
    PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@DamnYankeeDawg said:

@VaBeachDawg said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

@BigGAdawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

What a jerk!!!

Done.

Dude. Are you nuts, or can you not read? No one would have a problem if he came on here and "expressed his feelings." No one is trying to corral his free speech. Legitimate veterans in here have a problem with him coming in here and acting like a B.I.T.C.H.

He is playing the "veteran victim" and I for one can't stand it bc it is BS.