Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Calvin Ridley to the Birds

WildDawgWildDawg Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It's Bama squared for the Falcons with Julio and Calvin Ridley. Obviously JJ will be #1 because Ridley just isn't as good (who is really), but if I'm Matt Ryan I've died and gone to heaven! Two big WRs that can separate. Should be fun watching the passing game for ATL for the foreseeable future.

Comments

• Options
    MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ridley is not very big. Less than 6'1".

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MIghtydawg said:

Doesn’t need to be. Julio and Sanu have got the size in the Falcons receiving core

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2018

@MIghtydawg agree completely sir. WR Calvin Ridley (to me?), He is the Alabama version of Georgia's WR Mecole Hardman.

• Options
    WildDawgWildDawg Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@MIghtydawg said:

I'm not referring to his height, I'm referring to his physicality and strength, which is why he gets such separation (his lil bro in red and black is taller and even bigger but Riley doesn't get the separation Calvin does). There's no doubt Matt Ryan is licking his chops with CR, JJ, and Sanu.

• Options
    tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bad pick. I think Calvin Ridley is overrated

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Calvin will be a big weapon in the Falcon offense, can’t wait to see him play next year.

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

are you a uga fan? then hard to be a falcons fan

are you a falcons fan? then hard to be a uga fan

• Options
    DawgFuture12DawgFuture12 Posts: 125 ✭✭ Sophomore

@tiger_62082 said:

Lol

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Realllly curious to see what the plan is for D line.

• Options
    ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ridley is good and was the best WR in this draft but its a weak class. I honestly think he will be comparable to a good guy like Donald Driver if that name rings any bells. Never a true number one but gets consistent stats and run excellent routes

• Options
    ihateusernamesihateusernames Posts: 402 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:

I love ya tiger, but I couldn’t disagree more. Probably the best reliever in college over the last 3 years and the last 2 he’s had Jalen Hurst an extremely mediocre quarterback at throwing the deep ball working with him.

Could you imagine the numbers he would have put up if Tua was his quarterback last season.

Plus putting him in the slot, being single covered, with his ball skills and route running. I really think he will catch close to 50 balls this season.

• Options
    JMFDJMFD Posts: 219 ✭✭✭ Junior

Doesn't matter how amazing your receivers are if you have a choke artist QB. They needed to address the Oline. Can't throw when your on your back either. Dumb pick in my opinion.

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The only DT that was still available and rated to have first round talent was Bryan out of Florida. Don't know much about him but analyst were talking like his production hadn't matched his talent. I would rather see them take players who have produced in college than players who have good measureables that could produce. Any draft pick is a gamble, but I like the Ridley pick. Think Wynn would have been the pick if still available.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:

Who would you have picked in that situation? Just curious, as the two best DTs were already gone. Hopefully they can find a serviceable DT and G in the next couple of rounds. Then try to find a diamond in the rough TE and LB (as Riley might not pan out) in the later rounds. Then maybe grab a Trent Thompson type player in the 6th/7th. Or heck, take Thompson in the 6th, and then Atkins in the 7th. You have your run stuffer and pass rushing DTs then. lol

• Options
    brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

some of y’all say this is a bad pick but if you knew that much then you would be a GM

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2018

@brentwilson said:
    some of y’all say this is a bad pick but if you knew that much then you would be a GM

and if some GM"s knew as much they would still be GM"s.

• Options
    edited April 2018

@Teddy said:

@tiger_62082 said:

Who would you have picked in that situation? Just curious, as the two best DTs were already gone. Hopefully they can find a serviceable DT and G in the next couple of rounds. Then try to find a diamond in the rough TE and LB (as Riley might not pan out) in the later rounds. Then maybe grab a Trent Thompson type player in the 6th/7th. Or heck, take Thompson in the 6th, and then Atkins in the 7th. You have your run stuffer and pass rushing DTs then. lol

I would've moved up & drafted Isaiah Wynn. Don't know why the Falcons show up deep to every UGA pro day when they routinely pass on Georgia players. I'm not even a Falcons fan though. My 49ers took McGlinchey, which was awful.

@JMFD said:
    Doesn't matter how amazing your receivers are if you have a choke artist QB. They needed to address the Oline. Can't throw when your on your back either. Dumb pick in my opinion.

@ihateusernames said:

@tiger_62082 said:

I love ya tiger, but I couldn’t disagree more. Probably the best reliever in college over the last 3 years and the last 2 he’s had Jalen Hurst an extremely mediocre quarterback at throwing the deep ball working with him.

Could you imagine the numbers he would have put up if Tua was his quarterback last season.

Plus putting him in the slot, being single covered, with his ball skills and route running. I really think he will catch close to 50 balls this season.

• Options

@brentwilson said:

Do you know how hard it is to get an NFL gig? Let alone one of its most prestigious... (Facepalm)

• Options
    Jinx55Jinx55 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:

@brentwilson said:

Do you know how hard it is to get an NFL gig? Let alone one of its most prestigious... (Facepalm)

If anybody is hiring let me know! I fancy myself to be quite the GM lolol.

I just think the Falcons took the best available on their board. Not to mention they lost Taylor Gabriel in the offseason. We didn't want to select the DT from UF because of the boom or bust factor. Not to mention we can still get a solid D-tackle or OG in the draft. I think this came down to best player on the board vs a position of Need. WR, OG, DT were all options.