Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Out of Towner Visiting With A Group for Football - Advice Welcome

atilliniatillini Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Hi All,

I'm visiting Athens for the weekend 9/28-9/30 for the game vs. Tennessee. I'm coming down from Chicago with a group of 12-13 others. This is where you guys come in. Since we are a group from Chicago, we are huge amateurs when it comes to SEC football (like literally no one has been to an SEC football game before). I see tickets on stubhub, vividseats, etc. where i can get 12-13 together for about $275-$290 each after service fees (Section 302, 317). I have some questions I was hoping you all could have some insight into.

• When is the best time for these tickets to be purchased? Are these prices likely to change? Will I be able to find 12-13 tickets together in July? August? Should I buy them now and be done with it?
  • Does UGA sell any single game tickets? I saw in a google search this happens in July, but I have no idea how many I'd be able to purchase.
  • Really, I'm just seeking guidance from people who know more about this stuff than I do. We don't care where we sit, we just want to get into the game and don't want to be left "holding the bag" either way.

All answers are much appreciated. Based on the responses, I'm sure I'll be asking some recommendations for Athens over the next few months!

Comments

• Options
    Henley79Henley79 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭ Junior

The single game tickets that UGA puts on sale, are typically for the games against the cupcakes and sometimes the lower tier SEC schools which could possibly include UT this year. Sometimes tickets become available when the opposing team doesn't sell their allotment.

• Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ticket price will probably drop the closer you get to game time, and @mattmd2 is correct about vol fans selling theirs once theu realize what is going to happen. However, with a group that big I would suggest not waiting to long if yall all want to sit together.

Get to the game early (2-3 hours) and enjoy some tailgating. Maybe even go to the DawgWalk.

• Options
    CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Exactly what @BamaDawg said. And wear Red and Black, and be prepared to see the best looking coeds around.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2018

@mattmd2 said:
    Unprofessional opinion and possibly risky/poor advice:

Wait until after the season starts. If/When UT drops their first game to West Virginia, Tennessee fans will be unloading tickets faster than cupcakes at a weight watchers convention.

@atillini I completely agree with @mattmd2 110%. You can get these for cheaper, & yes it IS a risk going this route. However, with the turnover very recently there at Tennessee, & also how much it's going to take to get back to contending again? Also, @BamaDawg , & @CZCashvilleDawg are really giving you the skinny on having the very best time. I think that this is nearly a no-brainer to saving y'all some money too. Good luck to y'all. Good times.

• Options
    BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

For a group that size that wants to sit together, I'd start looking sooner rather than later.
    ... Not sure how many UT fans bought tickets anyway, but agree those that did will unload 1 or 2 games into season! #RockySTOPPED

• Options

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the responses. From what I understand these ticket prices most likely won't go up from here, the only thing we need to decide is if it's worth the premium to just have the peace of mind to just have them now with the seats all together. @BamaDawg, we will most definitely tailgate -- I'm putting my money on one or two of us not making it into the stadium... :D -- we'll be decked out in Red and Black though!

• Options
    ColaDawg86ColaDawg86 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@atillini said:
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the responses. From what I understand these ticket prices most likely won't go up from here, the only thing we need to decide is if it's worth the premium to just have the peace of mind to just have them now with the seats all together. @BamaDawg, we will most definitely tailgate -- I'm putting my money on one or two of us not making it into the stadium... :D -- we'll be decked out in Red and Black though!

I'm curious as to why y'all are coming down from Chicago to see Georgia. Is it because of how well we traveled for the Notre Dame Game and took over Chicago?

• Options
    AthensrulesAthensrules Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

I have never tried to purchase tickets for a group that large so I can't help your there. What I will tell you is to go ahead and get your room reservations. I would try my best to get something around downtown Athens so that you can stumble back to your rooms on Friday and Saturday night. The Holiday Inn and Hotel Indigo are nice locations. Downtown will be a ton of fun and will be hopping into the wee hours that weekend. There are a ton of places to eat downtown and there are bars/clubs everywhere. There is something for everybody. I suggest googling then taking a virtual tour.

If you get in on Friday which I strongly suggest you do check out Butts-Mere football complex. If will be open on Friday until 5:00. Take a walk around North Campus and downtown. Walk by the stadium early. It is one of the few stadiums that size that you can actually look straight into. Great views both from outside and within the stadium. Make sure to take in the Dawg Walk...it is usually 2 1/2 hours before kickoff.

What to expect....fantastic college town, very nice campus, many beautiful co-eds and women everywhere and they will be dressed to kill, great gameday atmosphere outside the stadium and a rocking crowd inside.

Post again closer to your visit and we can give you specifics on where to eat and drink.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah good luck finding 13 tickets together, may have to split into smaller groups, but don’t worry dawg fans are the best, you’ll have new friends before kickoff. And definitely get there early cause you can’t beat the food, people and the atmosphere of game day in Athens, especially when UT comes to town.

• Options
    edited September 2018

I'm back...

Looking forward to this weekend!

We arrive Friday afternoon. Looking for some recommendations on 1) where to grab a nice early afternoon lunch around campus (burgers, etc.) 2) where's a nice spot for an early evening drink around campus 3) favorite Campus bars for a Friday night

To close the loop on my original question, we ended up getting 13 tickets together just a couple weeks ago. While the tickets were about $120 cheaper than they were each when I originally asked the question, had I bought right now, they'd be an additional $20-$30 on top of that, but it was worth the peace of mind to get all 13 together in advance! I appreciate all the advice.

Thanks!

• Options
    tbiatbia Posts: 53 ✭✭ Sophomore

First of all, can you go to Schaumburg and pick me up some takeout at Yu's Mandarin?

Secondly, your questions. Campus is right next to downtown, so most of your dining and entertainment will be directed there.

1)Early afternoon lunch? Since I recommended you stay downtown, maybe check the menu for Ted's Most Best. A little more pizza and subs than burgers.
    2)Hit the rooftop of the Georgia Theater
    3) About 3 dozen answers in downtown Athens...really depends on what type.

Now let everyone call me an idiot.

• Options
    ForestryDawgForestryDawg Posts: 29,234 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tbia said:
    First of all, can you go to Schaumburg and pick me up some takeout at Yu's Mandarin?

Secondly, your questions. Campus is right next to downtown, so most of your dining and entertainment will be directed there.

1)Early afternoon lunch? Since I recommended you stay downtown, maybe check the menu for Ted's Most Best. A little more pizza and subs than burgers.

As a long time Athenian and former student, I like your suggestions. I'm glad that you didn't sell out and suggest The Grill or The Varsity.

• Options
    tbiatbia Posts: 53 ✭✭ Sophomore

@ForestryDawg said:

@tbia said:

As a long time Athenian and former student, I like your suggestions. I'm glad that you didn't sell out and suggest The Grill or The Varsity.

Wife and I have given it multiple chances, but the Grill is off our list. Just not the same as it used to be. The Varsity is what it is and if they were gonna be here 4 days I might say give it a go, but 12-13 guys want to be where a little action and fun is.

Trying to figure out where to tell them to work Creature Comforts in.

• Options
    MentokMentok Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

If you are looking for a burger DT, hit up Clocked or the Blind Pig, in that order. If you guys are into Beer at all make sure to go to Creature Comfort, well worth it. Bars are a dime a dozen.