Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Does UGA have to win a title in 2018 in order to win at recruiting?

savvydawgsavvydawg Posts: 39 ✭✭✭ Junior

While the Dawgs will certainly will haul in yet another top 3 recruiting class this year, I'm beginning to wonder if recruits have any hesitation about winning championships at Georgia. OSU, Alabama, Auburn and Clemson [all recent champions minus one tehehe] seem to be our primary rivals not only for a championship but for wins on the recruiting trail. Due to our previous success, we are now having to sell recruits depth which requires us to provide development and success. While I certainly believe a title is in store for this season do you believe anything less would sway the decision for prospective recruits or will another successful season [at least an upper tier bowl win] be enough to keep the faith?

Comments

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It won’t necessarily hurt recruiting. Just have to hope to win the east, hopefully beat Bama in the SECCG (at worst keep it close again), and if those happen it shouldn’t hurt recruiting. Clemson has lost 2 of 3 to Bama and is still recruiting well while running through a soft ACC. OSU hasn’t lived up to expectations the last couple of years and still recruits at an elite level. Auburn has one lucky run every handful of years it seems, but don’t see them hanging around at the top with Bama in their division and UGA on the rise.

It has just as much to do with what the others teams do as it does UGA. I don’t see Bama stumbling, although I think Tua is overrated, he’ll still have an all-worldly team behind him. Just hope someone can challenge OSU and Clemson to keep them out of the playoffs. And UGA needs to handle business against Auburn.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That is a good question. My answer is I do not really know. I would simply take a guess, that I would say that I believe that Georgia NEEDS to be one of the final four (04) team(s) that are selected for the College Football Playoff. After that?? I also believe that Georgia needs to have a really good showing in the playoff also, ....by either Georgia losing a very close semi-final game, .....or possibly losing a very close "Natty" again, or the BEST possible result??? GEORGIA WINNING IT ALL!!! I would agree with many who believe that should Georgia miss out on the College Football Playoff altogether??? That would (IMO) hurt them with the recruits & recruiting "game" too. Any of these results I have listed? I think none of these scenarios would actually hurt Georgia when it comes to recruits, EXCEPT ONE -Missing out the playoff would.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wouldn't say it's necessary to win the SEC title or National title this year, but I do think we need to go st least 10 - 2 during the regular season, win the East, and have a good showing in SEC championship game to keep our momentum going. If we can beat Bama and make the playoffs again, it would legitimize the program and solidly our place on the national landscape.

• AgDawgAgDawg Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would say UGA needs to finish the regular season with 0 or 1 loss, beat or keep it close with Bama in the SECCG (assuming it is Bama), and make it to a NY6 game (likely the Sugar Bowl vs Oklahoma or Texas), if not a play off spot. I would also say that 1 loss does not need to be Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, or South Carolina. 10-2 with an East title and a NY6 appearance would probably be okay as well.

• savvydawgsavvydawg Posts: 39 ✭✭✭ Junior

I fall under the belief if Georgia shows continued development in their current roster, finishes as a top 6-8 team [skeptical of the margin we are on due to a relatively weak schedule] and have another great showing in the post season our recruiting image wouldnt be hurt in the slightest. However, while I assuming recruits have more insight than the national media, it seems like there is still hesitation to UGA due to the one hit wonders like Washington and Oregon in recent years. Due to our past Im a little concerned failure to win a title soon will host the familiar sentiment that Georgia is "good but not great."

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think it depends on the definition of winning at recruiting. If we’re defining that as dominating with the top 50 recruits each year (signing 3-5), then I think we need another playoff run to silence any negative recruiting about not being able to win a chip. I believe at worst we’ll be 11-1 in regular season, likely undefeated. I also believe we will beat Bama in SECCG 24-17. That’ll be Dec. 1, and between Dec. 2nd-20th we will see blue chips complete our class. In Playoffs we’ll have to run through UW and Clemson. From that point on recruiting for UGA will be more of a pull than push for blue chippers.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@savvydawg said:
    While the Dawgs will certainly will haul in yet another top 3 recruiting class this year, I'm beginning to wonder if recruits have any hesitation about winning championships at Georgia. OSU, Alabama, Auburn and Clemson [all recent champions minus one tehehe] seem to be our primary rivals not only for a championship but for wins on the recruiting trail. Due to our previous success, we are now having to sell recruits depth which requires us to provide development and success. While I certainly believe a title is in store for this season do you believe anything less would sway the decision for prospective recruits or will another successful season [at least an upper tier bowl win] be enough to keep the faith?

I wouldn't say Auburn is a recruiting rival. Their recruiting over the last 4-5 years is a far cry from ours. Our rankings the last 4 years have been 1, 3, 6, 6. Auburn has been 12, 9, 9, 8. Over that time we have brought in 15 5-star players. Auburn has 3. Let that one sink in. Auburn has 3 5-star player on their roster. That's it.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Last season was great, power G all over the tv, dawgs played some entertaining games and made it to natty. Made the statement “we’re back”
    Now they must staying power, “win and they will come”.

• AgDawgAgDawg Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@savvydawg said:

I wouldn't say Auburn is a recruiting rival. Their recruiting over the last 4-5 years is a far cry from ours. Our rankings the last 4 years have been 1, 3, 6, 6. Auburn has been 12, 9, 9, 8. Over that time we have brought in 15 5-star players. Auburn has 3. Let that one sink in. Auburn has 3 5-star player on their roster. That's it.

Auburn is most definitely a recruiting rival. We go against them for a lot of the same players. We just happen to have won more of those battles than they have ;)

• jay_kubzzjay_kubzz Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let’s just say winning takes care of everything. Win and win big makes everything easier. The next 2 years are crucial years in establishing a strong foot hold as the beast of the east. I say 2 because of coaching changes that have happened.