Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Bennett

dawgnation7dawgnation7 Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He is tranferring to a juco, but had great things to say about UGA and Kirby smart. Wish him the best.

Comments

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgnation7 said:
    He is tranferring to a juco, but had great things to say about UGA and Kirby smart. Wish him the best.

Why is an academic scholar transferring to a JUCO?

• Options
    BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@dawgnation7 said:

Because it enables him to play next year at a more competitive level than high school and then have three years to play three seasons at his final destination. I could see a fit at the University of Virginia now that they are moving to a dual threat offense. That is an example of a viable D1 opportunity and a strong academic school.

• Options
    ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited May 2018

The way I read it. It's his choice to go the JUCO route. Nothing to due with if he can play at another D1 school right away. Most D1 rosters are full. He's going to finish up his 2 year degree and see where he fits in. Then 3 years of eligiiblity. And as far as him leaving, biting UGA in the butt. Highly doubt it. I'd still stay and take the UGA degree.

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Another option for Bennett would have been to stay at UGA two more years as third-string emergency back-up and get his degree, then transfer as a graduate with two years of eligibility left. That would have been the best option for the team, but maybe not for him. Think he could end up at a smaller school, maybe Georgia Southern or Georgia State, or maybe a weaker Power 5 conference school if he adds some weight. Wish him the best.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@coastaldawg said:
    Another option for Bennett would have been to stay at UGA two more years as third-string emergency back-up and get his degree, then transfer as a graduate with two years of eligibility left. That would have been the best option for the team, but maybe not for him. Think he could end up at a smaller school, maybe Georgia Southern or Georgia State, or maybe a weaker Power 5 conference school if he adds some weight. Wish him the best.

Does GA Southern still run that triple option? If so, I wouldn't think that's a great fit for him. QB's get hit way too often in that offense.

• Options

@donm said:
    Does GA Southern still run that triple option? If so, I wouldn't think that's a great fit for him. QB's get hit way too often in that offense.

They’ve changed coaches a few times lately, think they will be more of a RPO type of offense under new coach, with some type of option mixed in. He would need to add a some weight but they ran their old triple option offense with some QBs that we’re about his size.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dude needs about another 30lbs if he wants to be a mobile D1 QB. 170lbs isn’t going to cut it.

• Options

@pgjackson said:
    Dude needs about another 30lbs if he wants to be a mobile D1 QB. 170lbs isn’t going tocut It.

Two more years with our strength and conditioning staff would have done him good. Even more reason to go the graduate transfer route.

• Options
    andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior

@coastaldawg said:

@donm said:

They’ve changed coaches a few times lately, think they will be more of a RPO type of offense under new coach, with some type of option mixed in. He would need to add a some weight but they ran their old triple option offense with some QBs that we’re about his size.

Eagles got away from the option and it didn't work out so well. Lunsford hired Debesse from New Mexico with plans to return to a hybrid triple option. My term for it. Here's a quote from an article I read.
    http://www.savannahnow.com/local-colleges/news/sports/2017-12-18/new-georgia-southern-coordinator-bringing-offense-similar-what

DeBesse had created a unique offense that opposing defenses couldn’t figure out. It’s essentially a triple option, sometimes run from the shotgun, sometimes from the pistol and even sometimes from under center, and has a variety of formations, including a “diamond” formation in which four players line up in the backfield.

• Options
    Mickey_HandMickey_Hand Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@pgjackson said:
    Dude needs about another 30lbs if he wants to be a mobile D1 QB. 170lbs isn’t going to cut it.

I believe 15 lbs might do it -- Remember a 5"9" 175 lb guy named Doug Flutie?

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Mickey_Hand said:

@pgjackson said:

True. Not sure if Stetson is the next Flutie. But i guess anything is possible.

• Options
    daddydawg72daddydawg72 Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Mickey_Hand said:

@pgjackson said:

I don't know about Flutie, but he could be like UCF's Milton McKenzie. McKenzie's listed at 5'11'' 185 lbs. If you haven't yet go watch Bennett's HS highlights, the kid can play. He could be a good Group of 5 QB in the right system.
    Hell, I don't blame him. Like he said, you dream about playing not sitting.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was really looking forward to seeing ole Stetson bro playing at some point. Wish him the best

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BobcatGrad said:

@donm said:

@dawgnation7 said:

Because it enables him to play next year at a more competitive level than high school and then have three years to play three seasons at his final destination. I could see a fit at the University of Virginia now that they are moving to a dual threat offense. That is an example of a viable D1 opportunity and a strong academic school.

Jeezus.....Aren't we playing Virginia in the Kick-Off Classic in 2019 or 2020? That would give Bennett just enough time to play against us if he is the starter, huh?

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:

@BobcatGrad said:

@donm said:

@dawgnation7 said:

Jeezus.....Aren't we playing Virginia in the Kick-Off Classic in 2019 or 2020? That would give Bennett just enough time to play against us if he is the starter, huh?

That would be fun to watch, less fun for him.

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think a spread offense might work. Especially Midwest where they dink and dunk the ball around