Home The G.O.A.T.s: Forum Thread Hall of Fame
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Next To Commit To The G 2020

Comments

• DawgFanInDEDawgFanInDE Posts: 131 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It’s true that coaches have their regions, but let’s be serious. Dell flew out to Cali to visit his top Dawg and I’m pretty sure the PittBoss was the lead recruiter on a majority of his OL targets/commits. It’s just very odd to me how our WR coach, wasn’t the lead guy for any of our WR this cycle.

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting. Thanks for the info as always. How would adding him jive with current staffing? Does he have experience with QBs? There was hinting previously about bringing in someone with QB coaching chops allowing Coley to shift back to WRs and remain as OC.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • agphillagphill Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2019

Very interesting stuff here. Exciting to think about a more explosive offense.

• DawgatronDawgatron Posts: 449 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2019

What do you think the real LIMFAC with our run game was this past year. I assume you’ll point to a confluence of the following factors, but do you want to assign more weight to one as opposed to others:

1: Poor run blocking?

2: Underperforming Swift?

3: Underperforming Herrien?

4: Wrong type of run plays called?

5: Other?

Very interested for your take in this. I know you’ve posted that D’s loading the box is nothing new, so I didn’t list it.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah it was all of that. Starts with poor play calling. Took to long this season to run off tackle. Injuries and inability to climb to second level, effected run blocking. Lesser talent at RB positions.

Swift should’ve cemented his first round status imo this year. He did things that doesn’t suit his skill set and his usage rate improved. I know he got hurt at year end but I’d have more confidence taking him in first round.

• Kmk72Kmk72 Posts: 32 ✭✭✭ Junior

I would agree that the dismal passing game hurt out run game no doubt.... However, they rarely tried to run outside. Everything was a draw or inside run.

OL did not have a good year knocking guys off the ball and getting to the 2nd level IMO.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In my opinion the decrease in the run game was caused by several factors. First and the most important was the lack of receivers that caused any defense to fear them. Who of Georgia's receivers had real break away speed? For example Georgia's top three non freshman receivers were all hampered by injuries. The second problem was instability on the O-line. Georgia's O-line rarely had the same five starters start multiple games. In 2017 the O-line started the same five with only one change all year. It was also true that everyone and that includes me had unreasonable expectations for Zamir White coming off two ACL's. While D'Andre Swift was a great back I think he was overused and this led to his nagging injuries.

This discussion has been closed.