Home The G.O.A.T.s: Forum Thread Hall of Fame
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Next To Commit To The G 2020

Comments

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don’t know, it just is what it is. Some mesh well, some don’t.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nothing wrong with having a preference, but I hope it doesn't end up causing you to sour on whoever we end up with just because they aren't AG.

Gotta love the one you're with.

• Options
    dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    TreyL93TreyL93 Posts: 18 ✭✭ Sophomore

Forgive my lack of film-study, but is Gilbert considered that much better than Washington? From my understanding, Washington is a beast as well.

I also understand that we run two TE sets sometime, so having another solid TE would be good from that perspective (assuming the gap between Gilbert and Washington isn't massive enough to counter the addition of Johnson). And additional depth is always nice, as we've discovered from our DB's this year.

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As far as needing #s at TE... I saw a stat the other day where the Dawgs have run virtually zero plays without TEs on the field so I’d guess Kirby is going to get 2.

Sure wouldn’t mind Gilbert but frankly I’d be worried he’d end up being a transfer portal candidate if he wasn’t happy with how he was being used. 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2019

Why do we keep hearing about this in dramatic absolutes like “He’d NEVER play alongside so and so” and more but when everyone asks or wonders aloud why there is so much friction we always hear “I don’t know...just a feeling”. Seems to be more than that.

• Options
    NoahSewellFanClubNoahSewellFanClub Posts: 593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I disagree, in terms of body, I'd say Darnell is equally as ready, if not more ready. I think Gilbert is just more developed as a pass catcher, which is nice, but that's exactly why I'd love the duo, I'd be willing to say Theo is AG's equal in terms of athleticism and Washington is bigger and more physical than Gilbert. Really what stands out to me about Gilbert is how developed he is as a receiver, which is nice but can be achieved through hard work, also the fact that he could be an NFL DE if he wanted to makes him enticing.

• Options
    ihateusernamesihateusernames Posts: 402 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I absolutely love Gilbert, but if he wants to play receiver I think you already have the same player on your roster in George Pickens.

Super elite ball skills, but will not scare anyone as a vertical threat. To me it’s much more important that Georgia signs a true tight end, and an absolute burner like Arian Smith.

• Options
    Mia_Dade06Mia_Dade06 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2019

Read the background stories on D Wash. and his adversities and where he’s coming from. I’ll take him any day of the week and twice on sundays over Arik. His film doesn’t lie either. You can argue competition but Darnell could play about 4 positions on the field. He’s going to be a special player.

edit : That being said I would take either happily 😁

• Options
    TurkeydawgTurkeydawg Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think Gilbert would make a bigger impact on defensive side of the ball for some team, much more so than on the offensive side of the ball.

• Options
    PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Arik Gilbert is a freak athlete who will make some fanbase really happy really soon. I hope it is our fanbase, but I also love DW and TJ.

• Options

Give me 2 of 3, I don't care which.

• Options

Given who we have at TE, Darnell or Theo or Arik or whoever we get will have to be ready year 1. And no , hard to cover a perfect pass to a 6’7 TE on a skinny post . I think all are developed enough physically to be willing and ready blockers year 1 also.

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I realize they will need to play year 1. Not suggesting they won't. And I'm confident they will be adequate.

But the TE transition is difficult - more difficult than most realize.

• Options
    CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2019

Hands in the dirt, blocking down on Dlineman ready ?

I also think a few here are sleeping on the TE prospects we brought in last year. May not be able match up athletically with these 2020 guys but could very well turn into good TEs for UGA in out system.

• Options
    edited October 2019

Not ready to block down on a d-lineman, but probably ready to run a few routes.

And I agree, UGA got 2 good te's in this past class and those 2 will be fighting to play opposite Fitzpatrick next season.

Everyone seems to want the shiny new toy and often disregard the one's from the previous class. Same scenario every year, it seems. Just the nature of recruiting and wanting the best players at each spot.

• Options

The three are as physically ready as can be for high school seniors and incoming freshmen. Sure they might struggle against elite upperclassmen on the line, but they will be further along than most . They’re all huge, wont be giving up too much weight on DE’s. Just need to be getting taught the proper technique. Hartley should be excited.

• Options

All 3 of those te's would benefit from a redshirt year. The proper technique that they probably lack is what could get our QB killed.

This discussion has been closed.