Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia to schedule Clemson

AgDawgAgDawg Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Comments

• Options

Guessing one of those will be in the Benz

• Options
    brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds like a playoff deciding game in the regular season.

• Options
    MotorCityDawgMotorCityDawg Posts: 350 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited July 2018

Hope TLaw is still there when we play them lol

• Options

@MotorCityDawg said:
    Hope TLaw is still there when we play them lol

I think the chances are slim. We won't play them in 2018, obviously. 2019 is Notre Dame. 2020 is Virginia in the Benz. 2021 would be the earliest. Depends if he sticks around his 4th year I guess.

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well it’s about time to renew the rivalry again.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I could easily see a season opener for this at the Benz, & then a home, & home... or vice versa? GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    godawgsgodawgs Posts: 326 ✭✭✭ Junior

Personally I do not like it.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@godawgs said:
    Personally I do not like it.

To be the man, you got to beat the man. If we get to where we are headed, we'll win more of these than we lose. Won't be easy, but it's doable.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@godawgs At just 73.3 miles away between the campuses of Georgia & Clemson... & with a Georgia population of about 11 million people, & with a South Carolina population of about 5 million (less than half that of Georgia's) that makes Georgia very, very fertile recruiting ground for High School Elite football talent. Many, many, many, MANY out of state schools, and their staffs come in and they raid Georgia regularly for the best. Remember Deshaun Watson anybody??? <--- that's just ONE example. Georgia's CKS & Co. are looking to at least get to a point where they (Georgia) at least have the right of first refusal for players. That is a hard place to get to without building the kind of monster that Kirby is currently building. Because, of course, they (Georgia) cannot simply keep them all. My thoughts on this particular series between yet another ACC team (& a traditional geographic rival too) & UGA is that an occasional (like for instance, perhaps once, or maybe twice every decade?) series with Clemson is an ok thing. Playing this team TOO often is a bad idea for ONLY Georgia. My reasoning here it that it has been well documented (numerous articles from many media outlets over the years) & from a lot of other sources (that are pretty easy to look up) & a lot of folks that research this stuff, & that they are all way, way smarter than I am. These schools (Georgia & Clemson) are competing within the exact same zip codes, & they are IN GEORGIA, each for their respective schools players. Playing Clemson favors Clemson A LOT more than it favors Georgia. National spotlight is a great thing. Occasional "back-yard brawl" is catchy (i.e. - Pitt vs WVA) But Georgia should look further away geographically for these PRIME TIME types of premier match-ups. There really isn't a lot of upside to playing Clemson too much, only down. Occasionally? Sure. Often? Bad idea. Georgia has ENOUGH problems recruiting against other SEC programs, and shouldn't want to hurt themselves with adding one more local head to head regularly. I would hope instead that Georgia could get the Michigan Wolverines at a neutral site, or perhaps a home & home. The Texas Longhorns are another good one. My point is, for Georgia to play a BIG NAME opponent that does NOT live right next door (at just 73 miles away) to it's own campus. GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2018

Beat them more often on the field and you will gather momentum to beating them on recruits (in state of GA) then again beating them more on the field due to better talent.

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Georgia playing notre dame again next year and also has UCLA the first game of the season in the near future for 2 years in a row. Add Clemson to this mix and it should be fun. Beat both Clemson and South Carolina in the same year will be fun

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2018

For those that have forgotten or are too young to remember we used to play Clemson regularly. 1962 to 1987 only missing two years out of that span. Even though the Dawgs won the majority of those matchups most of them would be brutal. We would usually come away with a win but at a cost of bruised up and injured players. Our games after that would often be big let downs.
    I'm not saying we need a patsy schedule but use some brains in who we have lined up. Yes, this is a different Dawg era but as I've said before lets put some NC hardware in the case first. Hopefully, by the time the Tigers are scheduled, we will have done just that.

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2018

Not to flog a very tired horse but a great example of what I'm alluding to was the very recent 2014 season. If all can recall it was the first year that the BCS was implemented. Much to my misery, the Buckeyes took the NC by beating what I thought was a very suspect OR team. How did they do that? Well, first of all, they had to beat Bama in the playoff. I was completely shocked when that happened but in retrospect, it should have been more obvious.
    In the 2014 regular season, OSU played a grand total of 2 ranked teams. Bama, on the other hand, played 6 !! By the time Bama limped to the playoff they were gassed.
    If you don't think that can't happen again do a quick look-see at the OSU schedule for this year.