Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Not good Urbs

CharlestowneDawgCharlestowneDawg Posts: 211 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Comments

• Options
    jc30116jc30116 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Would be my guess he knew about Aaron Hernandez and his affiliations too but kept quiet on that as well.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Didn't read the entire lengthy report but that doesn't look good at all.

• Options
    CharlestowneDawgCharlestowneDawg Posts: 211 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@jc30116 said:
    Would be my guess he knew about Aaron Hernandez and his affiliations too but kept quiet on that as well.

I'd be more shocked if he truly didn't know

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let’s see what OSU is truly about. They got rid of sweater vest over tattoos for players as impermissible benefits. “The” Ohio State University always seemed to be on a higher horse from an outsiders perspective...they could stand tall here. The college football world is watching.

• Options
    dawgy10dawgy10 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@jc30116 said:

Meyer knew of the gang banging at UF , gainesville finally overwhelmed him and he got "sick". The gang banging still exist there.

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

@dawgy10 said:

@jc30116 said:

Meyer knew of the gang banging at UF , gainesville finally overwhelmed him and he got "sick". The gang banging still exist there.

Hernandez was a borderline criminal before he came to Gainesville. Meyer knew it; so did every member of the staff that helped recruit him. They chose to ignore it and hoped there wouldn't be any incidents at UF. As it turned out, there were many incidents that were covered up. Makes me wonder just how much covering up the DA's office and the police dept. in Gainesville are willing to perpetrate.

EDIT.....didn't know the word, 't h u g' was censorable material. Had to change it to 'criminal'....

• Options
    MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This SHOULD be a big deal. And it would be....if Meyer were losing games at OSU. But, of course, that's not the current situation, so.....excuses will be made and sweeping under rugs will persist.

Urban Meyer is a Liar and Covers Up Bad Behavior. Personally, I can't think of a less surprising headline. Minnesota Winters are Cold, maybe.

• Options

@dawgy10 said:

@jc30116 said:

He may or may not have known about the gangbanging going on at UF. Not going to argue that point, but it's not good when you recruit and play someone like Hernandez knowing their background. I'm all for second chances, don't get me wrong, but Hernandez should never have had a place at UF or at least been kicked off the team after his off field troubles started to surface.

• Options
    dawgy10dawgy10 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@jc30116 said:

@dawgy10 said:

@jc30116 said:

He may or may not have known about the gangbanging going on at UF. Not going to argue that point, but it's not good when you recruit and play someone like Hernandez knowing their background. I'm all for second chances, don't get me wrong, but Hernandez should never have had a place at UF or at least been kicked off the team after his off field troubles started to surface.

I read somewhere this week that Hernandez shot a guy in the head in gainesville with another florida player present, the other player was a household name but i cant remeber his name or where i read this.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

Urban Meyer doing something shady? No way! If he is willing to look the other way for beating a woman, what else has he been willing to “not be aware of” at THE Ohio State University? We already know the answer from his days of wearing orange. He may just suspend himself from coaching for a quarter when they play Indiana.

• Options

@dawgy10 said:

@jc30116 said:

@dawgy10 said:

@jc30116 said:

I read somewhere this week that Hernandez shot a guy in the head in gainesville with another florida player present, the other player was a household name but i cant remeber his name or where i read this.

I think he shot a guy in the eye and blinded him of I remember right.

• Options

After reading this, Meyer gotta go. And this guy who did that should be in jail. If that was my daughter, he would have been taken care of after the first time it happened.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just to clarify, I'm all for reveling in opponents not having their act together (here's looking at you, Tennessee coaching search) or having a delusional fanbase (you're right Florida, 42-7 didn't accurately reflect the feel of the game, sure...).

That being said, this is different. If it is true that it was known by Meyer and/or other staff that documented domestic abuse was going on for years and it was swept under the rug? That's disturbing.

• Options
    BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not a peep out of ESPN. Yet they wonder why they lose viewers by the millions.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let's say Urban does get fired. Who out there would be a high enough caliber coach for them to hire? Bob Stoops or Miles out of retirement? Buyout Scott Frost from Nebraska (unlikely), Lane Kiffin? Mike Gundy? Doesn't seem to be a plethora of elite options out there. Of course, that could all change over the course of this upcoming season.

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@jc30116 said:
    I think he shot a guy in the eye and blinded him of I remember right.

Yea. That guy wasn't a player for UF, but he was a witness for the prosecution at Hernandez' murder trial.

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:
    Let's say Urban does get fired. Who out there would be a high enough caliber coach for them to hire? Bob Stoops or Miles out of retirement? Buyout Scott Frost from Nebraska (unlikely), Lane Kiffin? Mike Gundy? Doesn't seem to be a plethora of elite options out there. Of course, that could all change over the course of this upcoming season.

I think Kiffin will find himself at LSU in 1-3 years.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's a serious issue and not one to handle lightly here. This will be interesting to follow. Not sure what the protocol is regarding allegations of abuse. I'm sure there are legal protections that prevent people from being fired from their jobs over accusations. The text messages indicate the wife couldn't even get a restraining order. Meyer fired him eventually. Not sticking up for Meyer, but I'll wait till there is more information before burning him at the stake.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Also, who did Meyer supposedly lie to? Was it some sports reporter or an investigator? That is an important detail not clarified in the article. If he was just asked by a reporter about it, I don't think he's under any obligation to provide a truthful answer that could complicate a legal matter. If it was an official testimony...that's something different.