Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

New Ole Miss logo and mascot

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SWGADAWG said:
    Just awful, is this an attempt to have a more politically correct mascot? Awful move just like the braves.

KnockAhoma was a horrible stereotype.
    I don't have a problem with Ole Piss losing The ole ''forget hell'' traitor as a symbol, but a shark ? it is beyond lame.

• Options
    ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Is this seriously happening?

• Options
    Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@EastAtlDawg said:
    They jus need to change the SCHOOL mascot to something else. As a black man there mascot has always offended me.Colonel Reb always looked liked he owned a bunch of slaves.The rebels mean nothing more than keeping African Americans as slaves to myself as United States citizen and many more African Americans.

Yea. Many people will hate the change of tradition....although most don’t like what it alludes to...the glory days of the confederacy (which wasn’t a great time for Americans). I think they should have kept the name “Rebels” and changed the mascot to a bear or shark or whatever (kinda like Alabama Crimson Tide is an Elephant) Try to push the image toward a different kind of rebel (aka Revolutionary war Patriot, etc).

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What is it about teams in the west having to have two or three mascots? I’m not sure what sharks have to do with Mississippi. They should be the Ole Miss Sanctions or the Ole Miss Probationary Players.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:
    I guess they don’t know that a “Landshark” is a dude who hangs out in bars trying to pick up drunk women. Essentially a sexual predator.

Should have gone with Admiral Ackbar like the students wanted.

We of vintage age think of SNL's land shark skits from their first season.
    It was absurd and brilliant nonsense.

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

Is it just me or does anyone else see some weird resemblance of the Japanese, Godzilla vs Ultraman characters? I mean its just uncanny how Ultraman does the shark pose, or vise a versa.

https://www.deviantart.com/samdelatorre/art/Godzilla-Classic-vs-Ultraman-747039883

• Options
    EastAtlDawgEastAtlDawg Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@EastAtlDawg said:
    They jus need to change the SCHOOL mascot to something else. As a black man there mascot has always offended me.Colonel Reb always looked liked he owned a bunch of slaves.The rebels mean nothing more than keeping African Americans as slaves to myself as United States citizen and many more African Americans.

Yea. Many people will hate the change of tradition....although most don’t like what it alludes to...the glory days of the confederacy (which wasn’t a great time for Americans). I think they should have kept the name “Rebels” and changed the mascot to a bear or shark or whatever (kinda like Alabama Crimson Tide is an Elephant) Try to push the image toward a different kind of rebel (aka Revolutionary war Patriot, etc).

I like patriot.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:
    I guess they don’t know that a “Landshark” is a dude who hangs out in bars trying to pick up drunk women. Essentially a sexual predator.

We of vintage age think of SNL's land shark skits from their first season.
    It was absurd and brilliant nonsense.

Telegram! (before the Candygram):

• Options

@pgjackson said:

FYI, the word "admiral" is derived from an Arabic word. So, Admiral Ackbar is totally Arabic. But Ole West is in the West, so there's that. :*

• Options
    edited August 2018

@WCDawg said:

@SWGADAWG said:
    Just awful, is this an attempt to have a more politically correct mascot? Awful move just like the braves.

I don't have a problem with Ole Piss losing The ole ''forget hell'' traitor as a symbol, but a shark ? it is beyond lame.

There was nothing traitorous about the Confederacy. Research how the US Constitution was prepared and you'll see that the States were in control of their fate. Also how the Articles of Confederation were abandoned. Those 2 events make it clear that the States controlled their sovereignty. (And, yes, slavery was horrible but slavery was abolished as a moral justification for the terrible battlefield slaughter, not the prime reason. What could the prime reason be: $$ as usual. The South was for free-trade, and were international traders. The North was for tariffs. Sound familiar?) The South can have remorse for slavery - as should all Americans, as slavery was in the North too - but Not the Confederacy. Rather than another flame war with you, that's all I'll say.

Also, Rebels is a Yankee name. Should never have been the Rebels. The South did not rebel. It left, as was its right.

• Options
    BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This may have been the moment Greyson Lambert decided it was time to transfer. Nobody knew what the hell this thing identified as....

• Options
    EastAtlDawgEastAtlDawg Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@SWGADAWG said:

There was nothing traitorous about the Confederacy. Research how the US Constitution was prepared and you'll see that the States were in control of their fate. Also how the Articles of Confederation were abandoned. Those 2 events make it clear that the States controlled their sovereignty. (And, yes, slavery was horrible but slavery was abolished as a moral justification for the terrible battlefield slaughter, not the prime reason. What could the prime reason be: $$ as usual. The South was for free-trade, and were international traders. The North was for tariffs. Sound familiar?) The South can have remorse for slavery - as should all Americans, as slavery was in the North too - but Not the Confederacy. Rather than another flame war with you, that's all I'll say.

Also, Rebels is a Yankee name. Should never have been the Rebels. The South did not rebel. It left, as was its right.

I stop reading after there was nothing traitorous about the Confederacy.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wait...this thread is not a joke? Ole Miss is really going to be the "Landsharks" now? Amazing.

• Options
    NYCLawDawgNYCLawDawg Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

@EastAtlDawg said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@SWGADAWG said:

I stop reading after there was nothing traitorous about the Confederacy.

What an amazing post and thank you for the history lesson. You definitely changed my mind on what went down 160 years ago! Keep up the good work sir. Everyone else take note: Discussions of mascots are the perfect segue to Antebellum politics.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m pretty certain he’s thinking, “oh my!, how romantic!”

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have a feeling the #metoo folks are going to have a problem with this. That mascot actually looks like someone who is trying to “scam” (as we used to say back in college) on a drunk woman.

Tell me that mascot doesn’t look like Pal from Uncle Buck
    http://www.tzr.io/yarn-clip/7a53eb9a-b622-41b7-8bd9-183a7822f3e9

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Changing from Colonel Reb was a good idea. Deciding on a LandShark is OK. Naming him after a fallen hero is outstanding!

Making the shark look like a wimp???

• Options
    ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was a victim of some poor reporting.

“Tony” was an Iraq veteran who played linebacker for Ole Miss. He died prematurely but not in action.

• Options
    PeachCoDawgPeachCoDawg Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@WCDawg said:

@SWGADAWG said:

I knew Chief KnockAhoma. He lived in Macon and my buddy's dad was a postman there growing up. I used to know his real name but that was 40 years ago almost. He was a really cool guy. Loved playing the character. He was either Creek or Cherokee, which I am. Well, a quarter. BTW I thought the Ol Miss thing was a joke. I don't know what to think bout that. Looks like arena ball