Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Fields>Fromm by Spring of 2019

MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby Smart is about 1 calendar yr away from a good old fashioned QB controversy. Alabama style. It has been said by many UGA insiders that Justin Fields is the most talanted QB every to commit to the G. Neither purely Cam Newton or Desean Watson but a combination of the best of both. Cam from a physical "Freak" standpoint and Watson as far as an advanced passer from the pocket and on the run. Hard to imagine an elite young signal caller like Fromm being unseated and is by no means gonna b easy but my over/under for Fields to take over is Spring of 2019.

Comments

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I translate this type of talk to: That Jeff George can really pass the football. If they were one year apart in age, Who would you rather have playing football for you Cam Newton, Desean Watson, Tom Brady or Drew Brees.

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just getting tired of hearing Fromm referred to as a “game manager” or a “signal caller” like all he does is stand under center to provide a warm body that is capable of reading a defense

Fromm will the best QB in UGA history, mark my words on that. If Fields can come in behind him and break the records that Fromm will set then that is wonderful and it will be a great situation for the Dawgs.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Assuming Fromm keeps playing well, and Justin matches him in decision making and in the X's and O's--I believe Kirby finds a way to get both QB's prepared to start, and will play them both in games. I don't think there will any hesitation, however, to sit the QB that is outperformed.

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/player/257/1086994/passing/situational.html

I believe Fields could be a generational QB, but these stats for a true freshman are off the chain.
    Good problem for Chaney.

• Options
    Dawg4Life912Dawg4Life912 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭ Junior

@MeR3htid said:
    Kirby Smart is about 1 calendar yr away from a good old fashioned QB controversy. Alabama style. It has been said by many UGA insiders that Justin Fields is the most talanted QB every to commit to the G. Neither purely Cam Newton or Desean Watson but a combination of the best of both. Cam from a physical "Freak" standpoint and Watson as far as an advanced passer from the pocket and on the run. Hard to imagine an elite young signal caller like Fromm being unseated and is by no means gonna b easy but my over/under for Fields to take over is Spring of 2019.

I agree man, I know what Fromm has done and I know he is going to be even better this year. But I truely believe that Fields and all of his talent is going to beat Jake Fromm out next season. It won't be easy for Kirby, but I believe it will happen.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe that Georgia & Kirby Smart will avoid the "QB controversy" & either Justin Fields plays some & (overall) waits behind Jake Fromm, or perhaps something else happens (like what did happen with Jacob Eason last year, but we will just have to wait and see.

• Options
    JKFlyfishJKFlyfish Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The player that gives us the best overall chance to win will play and that's what matters. Creating a controversy that MIGHT take place over a year from now is silly.

• Options
    dawgs18dawgs18 Posts: 183 ✭✭✭ Junior

Fields is and always has been in love with UGA - from the state grew up rooting for UGA the same as Fromm - that is the difference between the bama QB issue and the UGA - at the end of the day of course they both want to play but if they both get opportunities to make plays throughout a year and UGA is winning titles they arent going anywhere - winning solves a lot too - Fields has discussed this prior to enrolling - his own words indicate he could handle being behind fromm for a couple years if need be

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,722 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JKFlyfish said:
    The player that gives us the best overall chance to win will play and that's what matters. Creating a controversy that MIGHT take place over a year from now is silly.

That has become cliche'. It really doesn't mean much other than Smart doesn't play favorites. What this is about is who is the better QB? Right now it's Fromm. He's battle tested and his stats are elite. Fields has potential, but is untested. Of course, the best QB will play. As long as Fromm keeps producing, I don't see Fields being able to surpass him. Maybe we run into an situation like Bama had where Fromm struggles and Fields comes in and saves the day. Then we might have a little controversy moving forward. But I'm not sure we are going to have that problem with Fromm.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anybody read the related ESPN article that was posted today?
    espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24375053/true-freshmen-justin-fields-trevor-lawrence-compete-starting-qb-job

Since reading it, a few things that have been running through my mind:

1. Fromm was clearly better than Eason when it came to running the offense. You could tell it from the very first series after Eason's injury. Surely, the coaches knew Fromm was better based on practices, etc. How long would they have waited to let Fromm take the reigns had Eason not been injured?
    2. Will Fields get a legit chance if Fromm continues to lead this team to wins? Say Fromm is outplayed in practice on a regular basis, but does well enough in games that there is no need to bench him, will Fields only get a few series and mop up duty?
    3. If Fields proves to be better than Fromm in practice and the coaches don't give him an opportunity to take the reigns, what does that do to Kirby's credibility? He has sold true competition to these student athletes. Will players in other positions start to question if they'll get chances at meaningful reps if they see Fromm's experience weighted more heavily than Field's abilities? The team will know which QB is better. The Alabama players all perked up when Tua went in for the second half of the Natty. They knew Tua gave them a better chance to win. You'd better believe our players would feel the same way.

Of course, all of this is moot if Fromm proves to be better than Fields. Sometimes I catch myself forgetting just how great Fromm played for us last year. Dude is a stud... but so is Fields.

• Options
    PeachCoDawgPeachCoDawg Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't believe in a "controversy". That's fan talk. Whoever practices the best will start. It's good to be in that position

• Options
    Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@dawgs18 said:
    Fields is and always has been in love with UGA - from the state grew up rooting for UGA the same as Fromm - that is the difference between the bama QB issue and the UGA - at the end of the day of course they both want to play but if they both get opportunities to make plays throughout a year and UGA is winning titles they arent going anywhere - winning solves a lot too - Fields has discussed this prior to enrolling - his own words indicate he could handle being behind fromm for a couple years if need be

Bama won the blankety blank blank national title how much better can you do as far as winning and not have a controversy?

I believe that we won't have a problem in the locker room because Kirby is a whole lot closer to his players than Saban is, someone said that Kirby is a players coach and I believe that he is, which may be based on the difference in age between Saban and Kirby. The fans and the media may try and start a controversy but hopefully Kirby has and will head that off.

Also am I the only one who is tired of all the talk about Fields taking over and the possibility for problems with the team? I can't wait for the season to start and we have other things to worry over.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,722 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PeachCoDawg said:
    I don't believe in a "controversy". That's fan talk. **Whoever practices the best will start. **It's good to be in that position

Well, sort of. Football is a combat sport. Unlike baseball, basketball, soccer, tennis...in football fear, pain and panic are part of the game. The other team is literally trying to knock you out of the game. You can't replicate that kind of combat pressure in practice. It is easy to look great in a football practice. They typically aren't full speed. Teammates are not actually trying to hurt you. QBs are usually "no hit" players. That's why I don't put a lot of stock in those 7on7 things either.
    I don't see Fields doing anything in practice that will change the line-up...unless Fromm suddenly has a bad attitude and gets benched. Game results on the field are all that matters. Unless Fromm has a meltdown, he's our starter till he gets drafted.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@PeachCoDawg said:
    I don't believe in a "controversy". That's fan talk. **Whoever practices the best will start. **It's good to be in that position

Well, sort of. Football is a combat sport. Unlike baseball, basketball, soccer, tennis...in football fear, pain and panic are part of the game. The other team is literally trying to knock you out of the game. You can't replicate that kind of combat pressure in practice. It is easy to look great in a football practice. They typically aren't full speed. Teammates are not actually trying to hurt you. QBs are usually "no hit" players. That's why I don't put a lot of stock in those 7on7 things either.
    I don't see Fields doing anything in practice that will change the line-up...unless Fromm suddenly has a bad attitude and gets benched. Game results on the field are all that matters. Unless Fromm has a meltdown, he's our starter till he gets drafted.

Hard to argue with that. Fromm was clutch in combat last year unlike any freshman I'd ever seen.

• Options
    PeachCoDawgPeachCoDawg Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@pgjackson said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

Oh I totally agree with everything you said.
    Maybe I should have just left it at this.... Whoever CKS determines should be the starter... starts. I was talking more about the "controversy" aspect everyone likes to put on it. Like I said, it's great we have both. They will push each other to both become better players. Hope we can hold them both.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

I hate it that we have this problem to look forward to..........

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm just waiting for post season.......I see Kirby running some offensive scheme that has them both in the game at the same time

• Options
    law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree Fromm is a great QB but i also think Fields needs a year in the system and it is going to be hard to keep keep him behind Fromm next year.