Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

What the F is the deal with the settings on this forum?

scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From people getting banned or at least locked out from posting for no apparent reason to spending time writing out a post and then having it vanish into thin air with the accompanying pop up saying that your post is awaiting approval, something needs to be changed with the settings and/or software. If I had to guess the problem is related to the reminder sticky on “the rules”. I’m thinking that someone who didn’t know what they were doing messed with the post/moderation settings and the software is not playing along well.

If y’all want to have every post approved then you’re going to have to pay someone to do it because the software is just screwing everything up. And please let us know if that’s what the people who run the site want because I’ll go somewhere else. This is just **** currently and Savagedog17 shouldn’t have to spend his Saturday getting people able to post again.

Comments

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Been covered in numerous other posts. You're behind the curve.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BamaDawg said:
    Been covered in numerous other posts. You're behind the curve.

I’ve seen the posts and even tried to get help for someone that was locked out. I haven’t seen an explanation as to why this is happening or if something is being fixed.

I’ve had enough posts just disappear to now copy them before I post. Yet when I go back and try to repost the same moderation approval message pops up and the post is never seen again. If all posts WERE being moderated it would be lame but at least you’d think that they wouldn’t just vanish into the ether without an explanation or warning.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@scooterdawg said:
    I’ve had enough posts just disappear to now copy them before I post. Yet when I go back and try to repost the same moderation approval message pops up and the post is never seen again. If all posts WERE being moderated it would be lame but at least you’d think that they wouldn’t just vanish into the ether without an explanation or warning.

Improvise, adapt, overcome. Or be patient until it gets worked out. I think this is one of those things that is out of my control so I won't fret about it. Also, I don't think it has happened to me...yet. Maybe that's why it's so easy for me to chill on this one.

@donm said:

@scooterdawg said:

Improvise, adapt, overcome. Or be patient until it gets worked out. I think this is one of those things that is out of my control so I won't fret about it. Also, I don't think it has happened to me...yet. Maybe that's why it's so easy for me to chill on this one.

It wouldn’t bother me other than that I hate spending ten minutes typing something and then it completely disappears.

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who actually is the “moderator” around here?

@SavageDawg17 was helping people out yesterday.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Weird, I tried what someone else said on another thread... I can’t post if I’m on wi-fi, but if I turn wi-fi off I can post. This is getting annoying.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

@donm said:

@scooterdawg said:

Improvise, adapt, overcome. Or be patient until it gets worked out. I think this is one of those things that is out of my control so I won't fret about it. Also, I don't think it has happened to me...yet. Maybe that's why it's so easy for me to chill on this one

Reading the words, "improvise, adapt, overcome," I can't help but hear Clint Eastwood intone the words in the raspy growl of Gunney Sergeant Tom Highway.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JayDog said:

@donm said:

@scooterdawg said:

Improvise, adapt, overcome. Or be patient until it gets worked out. I think this is one of those things that is out of my control so I won't fret about it. Also, I don't think it has happened to me...yet. Maybe that's why it's so easy for me to chill on this one

Reading the words, "improvise, adapt, overcome," I can't help but hear Clint Eastwood intone the words in the raspy growl of Gunney Sergeant Tom Highway.

My man. Especially in the opening scene in the jailhouse. Love it.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@scooterdawg said:
    From people getting banned or at least locked out from posting for no apparent reason to spending time writing out a post and then having it vanish into thin air with the accompanying pop up saying that your post is awaiting approval, something needs to be changed with the settings and/or software. If I had to guess the problem is related to the reminder sticky on “the rules”. I’m thinking that someone who didn’t know what they were doing messed with the post/moderation settings and the software is not playing along well.

If y’all want to have every post approved then you’re going to have to pay someone to do it because the software is just screwing everything up. And please let us know if that’s what the people who run the site want because I’ll go somewhere else. This is just **** currently and Savagedog17 shouldn’t have to spend his Saturday getting people able to post again.

I agree. DN appears to be a pretty substantial organization. We have podcasts, videos, multiple professional contributors. The forum shouldn’t be this glitchy. I am not a web expert, but I am a regular on several other free forums and none are as glitchy as this one.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

@SavageDawg17 is awesome- he bailed me out yesterday- but I agree with @scooterdawg's basic point. He shouldn't have had to spend all of his time resolving these issues. Also, folks shouldn't have to read threads daily or be "in the know" to know how to contact the moderator. There should be a simple link or button on the site to do that. Similarly, unless I'm missing something, there's no mechanism on the forum to contact the site admin. I would still really like to see the "sophmore" system-error fixed- if I were a Bama or OSU fan I would make endless fun of the hillbillies who run the UGA fan forum and don't know how to spell- but @SavageDawg17 said he didn't know how to fix it, so what am I supposed to do? Should I bother Griffith, Sentell or Towers about it? Of course not. Which is why I didn't hyperlink their names.

At the end of the day I subscribe to the same philosophy as @donm. Out of my control, not going to worry about it. But will hold out hope that these things get fixed one of these days.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@scooterdawg said:

I tried to put a post about it and called it the " post monster" eating posts. It got eaten up. Thought that was funny until I couldn't post anything. Then I thought I was put on restriction or something for calling it the post monster. LOL

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:
    Weird, I tried what someone else said on another thread... I can’t post if I’m on wi-fi, but if I turn wi-fi off I can post. This is getting annoying.

That ridiculous nonsense greshamdisco posted actually works?

I saw that thread he made and started to say there’s no way that’s the problem. But then I decided better to just let the comment slide down the board so it doesn’t confuse people...

But you’re verifying the problem gresham reported?

Whether a user is using WiFi or cellular data should not matter to the HTTP protocol. I wonder if it’s a matter of changing your IP address? Like maybe the message board software has decided some of our home IP’s aren’t secure? And when you guys change your IP address (by turning off WiFi) it lets you post? SavageDawg’s fix is something about verifying our email addresses. Verifying our email address must erase the security concern about our IP address somehow. But I’m really guessing now.

And oh yeah, Teddy. Awhile back we were talking about losing posts to the “awaiting approval” message after editing them. I was in there saying that only happens when you edit a post that’s really long. Well, maybe two weeks after saying that, I started having the problem even on short posts, just like you were saying you have seen sometimes.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

@levander said:

@Teddy said:

I saw that thread he made and started to say there’s no way that’s the problem. But then I decided better to just let the comment slide down the board so it doesn’t confuse people...

Uh, thanks. Just trying to help. Yes, others said it was the same for them to after I pointed it out. I didn’t create the problem and was only helping others having the same issue. No need to be a jerk.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

@greshamdisco said:

@levander said:

@Teddy said:

Uh, thanks. Just trying to help. Yes, others said it was the same for them to after I pointed it out. I didn’t create the problem and was only helping others having the same issue. No need to be a jerk.

In the post, I’m saying your info must be accurate if you’re getting verified reports. Without stopping an spelling it out (till now), what I was doing in the post was making fun of myself for thinking it was ridiculous nonsense.

It’s obviously not ridiculous nonsense if it’s accurate.

The first paragraph you cut off of my post is me guessing why the ridiculous nonsense is accurate. The second paragraph you cut off I say me telling Teddy he was right about something we were talking about a few weeks ago.

• greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah add me to this list. Cant post at all from my phone, but its working for me on work computer. WEIRD>>>>>

• BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Try logging out and logging back in. Worked for me at least once.