Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

SEC Storied

scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Apparently there’s a new SEC Storied about Fran Tarkenton coming on tonight. He was before my time and honestly I don’t know a hell of a lot about him other than that he likes to throw his weight around from time to time as far as the program goes. As a relative youngun should I bother watching?

As an aside I watched the Iron Bowl one last night from last year I think. It truly reminded me of why I hate Auburn and how Scam Newton is such a fake ass person. I obviously remember the whole controversy but I’d forgotten what blatant cheaters the Barners are. That “All In” crap was disgraceful. And the “Auburn Family” crap. They were just as shameless as the Ole Miss crowd and Freeze were more recently. And I’ve always hated $cam, doubly so since I’m a Falcons fan too, but watching him get interviewed reminded me of how FOS and insincere the guy is. He was one minute laughing about it and the next minute trying to act like he was a victim and all those mean fans of other teams were just out to get him. What an overgrown child and waste of oxygen.

Comments

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

You know I helped him at my job once and his whole family was good people. His little brother was the coolest. Happy for his success at Howard University right now

• Options
    josh31533josh31533 Posts: 186 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don’t know a whole lot about Fran Tarkenton either, but he’s a Dawg, the show is about some Dawg’s history that I don’t already know, so you’re dang right I’ll be watching when I get the first chance. I DVR’d it.

• Options
    ChopperChopper Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anybody see this? Good show?

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For those who missed it (like me), it looks like the next airing is 9/10 at 6am if you want to set your DVR's.

@scooterdawg Did you catch it? Some of those SEC docs are better than others, but Tarkenton is definitely a worthy subject. He was a heckuva good QB. Plenty of tape from his Vikings days if you want to search online. Here's one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoNEZL-kUuk

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

I DVR'd the Tarkenton show also. I'm ignorant to a lot of his story so I'm looking forward to catching up on it.

Auburn... ugh.... they really are awful. Even though it seems they're trying to clean it up lately, at least relatively so compared to recent years. That said, you can blame Bama for it. Their historic success drove Auburn into desperation to keep up with their instate big brother.

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I didn’t get a chance to watch it last night. Got roped into the Braves game against the Sox. Which of course they lost because Snit can’t figure out how to use pitchers to save his life. I’m hoping it will be on my on demand soon or I’ll just watch it on a re-airing.

• Options

Well, I couldn't have been more wrong about the next airing. No need to wait until 9/10. Looks like it's on today at 2pm, again tomorrow, and twice on Friday...

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I recorded it and just watched it on my lunch break. It was solid. Did I good job of covering his life in a limited amount of time.

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fran was way before my time while he was at UGA, but I remember a lot about his NFL days.....well, from about the mid to late 70s when he retired, anyway. He was the QB of Wally Butts' last SEC Champion team and they beat Missouri in the 1960 Orange Bowl. I've read about the play he drew up in the dirt vs. Auburn that resulted in the winning TD and the SEC Title. And yea....He still carries a lot of weight at UGA regarding the football program. Rumor has it that he was instrumental in Richt being canned.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fran is a college and nfl hall of famer, gritty qb and a dgd for sure.

• Options

Just watched the doc. Three thoughts: (1) no doubt he's one of the best QB's to ever play the game; (2) he is one cocky SOB- I mean, on a level all his own- maybe the cockiest SOB who ever lived- I'm not sure he'd even argue the point; (3) the people who knew him best seem to love him, which probably says a lot.

The guy was the ultimate competitor, and he's been incredibly successful in life, and he loves UGA football. Count me as a fan.

• Options
    BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said: Rumor has it that he was instrumental in Richt being canned.

And for that alone i am thankful

• Options
    allywallyw Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AnotherDawg said:
    Well, I couldn't have been more wrong about the next airing. No need to wait until 9/10. Looks like it's on today at 2pm, again tomorrow, and twice on Friday...

What time and network on Friday?!?

• Options

@allyw said:

@AnotherDawg said:

What time and network on Friday?!?

SEC Network. Noon and 8pm.

• Options
    allywallyw Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I watched it last night. Pretty good stuff, considering that it was only an hour long. Amazing how close we were to losing him and Pay Dye to FSU. I had read that long ago, but forgot about it until I watched the show. Can you imagine how pissed of the both of them would be right now if they had went to FSU and witnessed that sh1t-show FSU put up the other night?