Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Florence is now a catagory 4 hurricane and strengthening...

Comments

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:
    Speaking of which.....Anyone remember the night Hugo made landfall on Sept. 21st, 1989 and Ga. Southern vs. MTSU was played anyway on ESPN Thursday Night College Football? I remember watching it. I also remember wondering who in the hell gave the go-ahead for the game to be played....Paulson had no lights at the time; ESPN brought in their own to play the game. I thought for sure they would lose them, but they didn't.

Who else remembers? Come on and show your age. I was 20...and about 7 weeks away from turning 21.

I was at that game, Georgia Southern beat them badly in a torrential downpour that was blowing in sideways. MTSU was a big rival of Ga. Southern back in those days. Was a white knuckle ride back to Hinesville after the game. Used to love Ga. Southern back when Erik coached there.

• Options
    BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@dawgnms said:
    yep went thru Katrina prayers sent

We were at Guntersville Lake near Huntsville AL. when Katrina moved over with 50mph winds, I played in my kayak on the lake, we had no idea of the damage till reports started coming in the next day.

You got family in Guntersville?!

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@coastaldawg said:

@UnderDog68 said:
    Speaking of which.....Anyone remember the night Hugo made landfall on Sept. 21st, 1989 and Ga. Southern vs. MTSU was played anyway on ESPN Thursday Night College Football? I remember watching it. I also remember wondering who in the hell gave the go-ahead for the game to be played....Paulson had no lights at the time; ESPN brought in their own to play the game. I thought for sure they would lose them, but they didn't.

Who else remembers? Come on and show your age. I was 20...and about 7 weeks away from turning 21.

I was at that game, Georgia Southern beat them badly in a torrential downpour that was blowing in sideways. MTSU was a big rival of Ga. Southern back in those days. Was a white knuckle ride back to Hinesville after the game. Used to love Ga. Southern back when Erik coached there.

In late Oct. 1991 I took a rafting trip on The Gauley River in West Virginia.
    On the return I detoured to The Outer Banks of NC and set up camp at Hatteras Point, just a short distance from the lighthouse.
    That night the weather turned vicious. There was torrential rain, high wind and huge surf that swamped the camp ground.
    There was just me and a handful of other campers, we decided to break into the lighthouse if it got any hairier.
    It was so bad my 4 season tent was demolished but everybody lived. It rained all the next day like piss pouring from a boot while I drove north to cross the only bridge south of Virginia since the ferry wasn't running.
    I hadn't kept up with the weather so I didn't learn till I got home that I'd stumbled into the remnants of Hurricane Grace, which became part of The Perfect Storm of movie fame a couple of days later.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Amen all day long! This makes it SOOOO CRYSTAL CLEAR, that even a VOL can understand it, (as long as someone else is there to help of course!)

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,175 mod

@WCDawg said:

@DawgBones said:

@WCDawg said:
    The blizzard tracked a bit north of Greenville, the ice storm came the next winter.
    I did some hiking from Jones Gap to Cesar's Head after the blizzard, the snow wasn't quite as deep as where you were or here in NW Georgia, but there was 20 inches or so to wade thru.
    I lived outside of Asheville from 2001 till Oct 2008, it's my favorite place in the east.

So let me guess, WC stands for Western Carolina.

Nope William and an undisclosed middle name.

Cooter from the Dukes of Hazard

• Options
    BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My Ohio Bobcats game with my wife's UVA Cavaliers has been moved to Nashville and UVA is the designated home team, I guess she gets to "Blow the Admiral" every time UVA Scores.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

@BobcatGrad I haven't made the connection between your "blowin the admiral" post and the OP--but I love reminding everyone of that particular "tradition" at Vandy :p

• Options

@dawgnms said:

@WCDawg said:

@DawgBones said:

@WCDawg said:
    The blizzard tracked a bit north of Greenville, the ice storm came the next winter.
    I did some hiking from Jones Gap to Cesar's Head after the blizzard, the snow wasn't quite as deep as where you were or here in NW Georgia, but there was 20 inches or so to wade thru.
    I lived outside of Asheville from 2001 till Oct 2008, it's my favorite place in the east.

So let me guess, WC stands for Western Carolina.

Nope William and an undisclosed middle name.

Cooter from the Dukes of Hazard

Bingo.

• Options

@BiffLowman said:

@WCDawg said:

@dawgnms said:
    yep went thru Katrina prayers sent

We were at Guntersville Lake near Huntsville AL. when Katrina moved over with 50mph winds, I played in my kayak on the lake, we had no idea of the damage till reports started coming in the next day.

You got family in Guntersville?!

No, it was a vacation on the lake.

• Options

Florence will likely impact Georgia it seems now. The beast took a left turn overnight and it seems likely to at least soak much of Georgia.

• Options
    VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

@WCDawg said:
    Florence will likely impact Georgia it seems now. The beast took a left turn overnight and it seems likely to at least soak much of Georgia.

Any chance our game gets cancelled?

• Options

They have removed advisory warning in Virginia and now it looks like Georgia will get heavy rain.

My wife was supposed to speak Friday at a law conference at JMU, so we decided to attend the UVA - Ohio game where we both went to school. Normally we would have been at the UGA game for parents council weekend. It made no sense to fly in Friday evening and drive to Athens for Middle Tennesse State so we bought tickets for Tennessee instead.

They moved the OU -UVA game to Nashville where the storm will probably move late in the weekend while possibly Charlottesville sees next to nothing.

With the rescheduled conference my wife now flies to Atlanta for a charity golf event, then go straight to London to meet with a client, then immediately go to JMU for the rescheduled seminar and then straight to South Carolina for her Godson’s wedding who grew up in Charlottesville as his Mom is a professor at UVA.

She and my wife had season tickets for 30 years at UVA on the 48 yardline. We used to donate $500 a year and purchase the season tickets. They then required a $5,000.00 donation per seat for the right to purchase those seats. On top of that the UVA professor was told she would have to purchase a parking spot and not be able to use her faculty spot, even if she paid extra.

And UVA wonders why their stadium is at 40 percent capacity.

It will be interesting to see if Carla Williams and UVA at least provides a $1,000.00 credit towards next years donation.

I love Football as much as anybody and so does my wife, but they are literally forcing people towards going to a couple of games a year and watch the rest on TV, in particular with schools like Georgia having such a pathetic home schedule.

Sorry for the rant.

• Options

@VALDOSTADAWG said:

@WCDawg said:

Any chance our game gets cancelled?

Maybe, if there's flooding.

• Options

The joke on the UVA board is Clemson moving their game to Charlottesville.

• Options
    Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@UnderDog68 said:

@mikeshue said:
    HUGO was really Bad.

I started delivering emergency medical supplies to Charleston Saturday morning, made 4 trips back in forth that weekend. By my second or third trip they had the national guard out guarding MUSC and I ended up with a letter from the governor to show to get by the roadblocks and the police officers who thought I was driving a bit fast. Long weekend.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    Very off topic, but Prayers for those in it's path as it seems sure to cause massive damage both along the Carolina coast and with inland flooding. It was expected to be a Cat. 3 and it now seems possible it will be a cat. 5 before it lands. It's also expected to dump massive amounts of rain inlandas well. I well remember the worst natural disaster in NC history came from a tropical storm that stalled and dumped rain like this is expected to.

This may not be so off topic now. It looks like it could head towards UGA now. It could very much change the weather for the game come Saturday night.

• Options

Living in Richmond, original plans to go to the Ohio game at UVA, a mother-in-law in Virginia Beach and our Daughter in Athens, I have been tracking the ten day forecast in all of the regions for several days, I have come to the conclusion they have pretty much stopped updating those local pages.

• Options

@RxDawg said:

@WCDawg said:
    Very off topic, but Prayers for those in it's path as it seems sure to cause massive damage both along the Carolina coast and with inland flooding. It was expected to be a Cat. 3 and it now seems possible it will be a cat. 5 before it lands. It's also expected to dump massive amounts of rain inlandas well. I well remember the worst natural disaster in NC history came from a tropical storm that stalled and dumped rain like this is expected to.

This may not be so off topic now. It looks like it could head towards UGA now. It could very much change the weather for the game come Saturday night.

It appears we'll have some wind and maybe some rain by Saturday night, the worst might come Sunday.

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

schools closed, a lot of highways are changed to one-way, I just picked up 18# of wings and pork ribs, large case of water from costco, I have 7 bags of charcoal, working from home the rest of the week

all that I am missing is a bottle of bourbon and then I will be good for the weekend, with or without power

• Options

@tfk_fanboy said:
    schools closed, a lot of highways are changed to one-way, I just picked up 18# of wings and pork ribs, large case of water from costco, I have 7 bags of charcoal, working from home the rest of the week

all that I am missing is a bottle of bourbon and then I will be good for the weekend, with or without power

I've got a 2 burner Coleman stove, battery operated lights, dry food and Cave Spring bubbles up a few hundred yards from my house.