Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Off Topic - Chicken Chops and Brining

FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Chicken Chops * and Brining In anticipation of @JRT812 providing his generic Brunswick Stew, I offer my Chicken Chops in gratitude.

A way to deal with the huge split chicken breasts (cooking chicken on a grill/otherwise can be a pain as to doneness/over-doneness) is to cut them cross-wise. The result is a cut that looks something like a pork chop. Thus the OP name here.
By cutting them, you reduce the volume and increase the surface area (in total) so that they may cook more quickly and evenly. As to cutting, just try to cut them as equally as possible. If the bones have not been removed then there is a little more challenge to it.
The split breasts are typically packaged (Kroger?) in 4 to a package.

That's the trick for chicken chops. But I also have rediscovered brining. Brining will make the Chicken Chops more juicy and flavorful for not too much effort. Use your favorite brine concoction and set in the brine for about 3-4 or more hours. Remove, pat dry, season with favorite rub, add cooking spray (optional) or slather with oil or both, and grill low and slow.

My way:

In pot, put:
Brine: 1/2 cup salt (kosher or sea salt or combo)
1/2 cup sugar (white, granulated)
1 gallon of cold water to cover 4 split breasts, "chopped" - 8 pieces if you have been following.
Choice of herb(s). Mine are ground coriander and ground rosemary
Rosemary is a traditional chicken herb while the coriander will give the chicken "body" - will enhance the flavor (also used for pork/beef ribs)
~ 1 teaspoon of each; stir in it.

Add chicken (8 chicken chops) Stir again. Stir once midway of brining. Leave it alone for 3-4 hours or more. NOT refrigerated.

Drain brine. Remove chicken and pat dry +/- with paper towels. Place in/on pan/platter/foil.
Coat lightly with oil (I might use olive oil or sesame oil).
Add dry rub of choice - mine is likely leaf rosemary, Italian seasoning (not a salt - the herbs) and/or oregano - might add lemon juice
Spray with canola oil.

Place seasoned chicken chops on grill. A few minutes each side on the heat to get color, then the rest of the time off the heat. Temp might be 250 or 300

(I don't add salt or pepper prior to serving and even then I don't add salt.)

Off the grill and serve. Enjoy!

/* South Asian cuisine (English language) calls chicken cut in chunks "chicken chops"
A Google search did not find anything like I describe above, regardless of name/naming.