Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Here's what I think Kirby should require after a touchdown

Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Let's get real honest here. We all know that Holloman dropped the ball before crossing the goal line. It was pretty obvious. We were just really lucky the refs didn't have to right view to overturn the TD call. That was a 14 point swing. We ended up winning by 14 points. Enough is enough. Kirby should respond by requiring all UGA TD makers to do one of the following after a score:
1. Carry the ball all the way thorough and out the back of the end zone, or
2. Hand the ball to a ref after a score, or
3. Touch the ball down in the end zone. (this was actually required in college football eons ago and is where the term "touchdown" came from)
This may seem ridiculous and like overkill to some but the fact is whatever the coaches told them after the USCjr episode didn't sink in. I've seen this like 4 times in my life and 2 were by our Dogs this season. Totally embarrassing.

Comments

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was thinking about this today. I want to see them carry the ball into the end zone, touch the ball down and look at the ref... once they see the touchdown symbol by the refs they carry the ball back to the sideline and hand it to Kirby who then hands it to the ref hahaha

• Options
    3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

have a coach in the back of the end zone holding a white board.... have the player travel thru the end zone kick the white board and hand the ball after to said coach.....

• Options
    1. Run into the end zone with the ball. Circle back to the one yard line and run in again just to be double sure
  • Options
    DobroMattInOzDobroMattInOz Posts: 213 ✭✭✭ Junior

I HATE rugby, but one point I like about it is the requirement to ground the ball in the endzone. I understand why we don’t do it anymore, and the forward pass is awesome, but it’s neat to see a score denied by holding the ball carrier up of the ground.

• Options
    MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Red_N_Black said:
    Let's get real honest here. We all know that Holloman dropped the ball before crossing the goal line. It was pretty obvious. We were just really lucky the refs didn't have to right view to overturn the TD call. That was a 14 point swing. We ended up winning by 14 points. Enough is enough. Kirby should respond by requiring all UGA TD makers to do one of the following after a score:
    3. Touch the ball down in the end zone. (this was actually required in college football eons ago and is where the term "touchdown" came from)
    This may seem ridiculous and like overkill to some but the fact is whatever the coaches told them after the USCjr episode didn't sink in. I've seen this like 4 times in my life and 2 were by our Dogs this season. Totally embarrassing.

I agree with pretty much everything you said....the ball drop is absolutely idiotic and indefensible. Except, can you please explain the reasoning of how the ball-drop would have been a 14-point swing. I heard Kirby mention this, too. Makes no sense to me. It's not like we would lose the TD AND give them a TD at the same time. 14-point swing is a 99 yard interception or fumble return, not a premature ball drop.

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Red_N_Black said:

@MinnesotaDawg said:

@Red_N_Black said:

I agree with pretty much everything you said....the ball drop is absolutely idiotic and indefensible. Except, can you please explain the reasoning of how the ball-drop would have been a 14-point swing. I heard Kirby mention this, too. Makes no sense to me. It's not like we would lose the TD AND give them a TD at the same time. 14-point swing is a 99 yard interception or fumble return, not a premature ball drop.

The Missouri defensive back actually picked up the ball in our end zone a ran 100 yards for what should have been a Missouri TD

that would have made the ball game a tie game going into the last drive

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Red_N_Black said:

Reason behind "touching down" the ball was due to the fact that much of american football was derived from rugby. If you didn't touch the "try" down, you were free-game in the try zone.

(reason behind this in rugby is that you have to attempt the conversion from the point it was touched down, as far back as you wan to go. I was hoping they would institute this in the pros when they changed the pat rules)

• Options

And if we continue to have these problems, the next guilty player should be immediately removed from the game and be required to hold 7 footballs on the sidelines without dropping one for the remainder of the game.

• Options
    MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

@Red_N_Black said:

@MinnesotaDawg said:

@Red_N_Black said:

The Missouri defensive back actually picked up the ball in our end zone a ran 100 yards for what should have been a Missouri TD

Got it. Although, once they signal TD, my understanding is that it is considered a dead ball situation--so all subsequent "returns", etc. don't count because the non-recovering team justifiably thinks the play is over. But I certainly get that this COULD be a result..if the refs actually call the premature drop a fumble while the play is "live".

• Options
    DobroMattInOzDobroMattInOz Posts: 213 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think it would be neat to revert to the touching rule for scores that are not a forward pass, and also snap the PAT from the cross coordinate of the TD.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Red_N_Black said:
    3. Touch the ball down in the end zone. (this was actually required in college football eons ago and is where the term "touchdown" came from.

Now THAT is some cool trivia!

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I want our player to dig a hole inside the end zone just in front of the goalpost. Drop the ball in the hole, then cover it up. Bury it like a Dawg buries a bone! That will put a stop to it.

• Options
    kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I also think that, at this point, he should threaten benching the next player to do it for a half. There's no excuse for that.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe they should pull a Forest Gump and carry the ball through the end zone all the way out the tunnel.

• Options
    PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DobroMattInOz said:
    I HATE rugby, but one point I like about it is the requirement to ground the ball in the endzone. I understand why we don’t do it anymore, and the forward pass is awesome, but it’s neat to see a score denied by holding the ball carrier up of the ground.

Did you watch the Amazon Prime series about the New Zealand All Blacks? That game is awesome. I used to hate it too.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bmauldin said:

@Red_N_Black said:

Reason behind "touching down" the ball was due to the fact that much of american football was derived from rugby. If you didn't touch the "try" down, you were free-game in the try zone.

(reason behind this in rugby is that you have to attempt the conversion from the point it was touched down, as far back as you wan to go. I was hoping they would institute this in the pros when they changed the pat rules)

That would make extra points very interesting!

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Polynikes said:

@DobroMattInOz said:

Did you watch the Amazon Prime series about the New Zealand All Blacks? That game is awesome. I used to hate it too.

Thanks for the tip. Added to my Amazon Prime watchlist. I got one of those free trials going right now...