Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Food for tomorrow’s game

PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The wife and I will not make the game tomorrow, but we will be having a party and lots of food. I will try to post a few pictures of the spread, I will start with the Boston butts that prepping and cooking is a 3 day process for me.

I just put them on the smoker tonight and they will be ready just before kickoff tomorrow

What are you cooking?

Comments

• Options
    UGADawg912UGADawg912 Posts: 30 ✭ Freshman

Probably Zaxby's lol

• Options
    cory430cory430 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Getting ready to throw a butt on here too, but it won't be ready in time for the game. Going to make some jalapeno pimento cheese, and probably abt's.

• Options
    moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

cooking is a 3 day process for me.

3 days?
    I can see 2-2.5 based on your cook time. What's your general process? Do you brine?

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@moos said:

3 days?
    I can see 2-2.5 based on your cook time. What's your general process? Do you brine?

@PharmDawg, those butts look like they are going to be amazing but Whoa, 3 days is like a holiday weekend for me. Over the years I've gotten more and more lazy and now I pretty much just season and throw on the BGE. Low and Slow.
    Maybe its just me but most agree, it turns out pretty much the same.
    Now the holiday meats are a different story. Turkey time is one complicated ritual altogether.

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,175 mod

Ribeyes on the Weber

• Options
    edited September 2018

@DawgBones said:

@moos said:

3 days?

@PharmDawg, those butts look like they are going to be amazing but Whoa, 3 days is like a holiday weekend for me. Over the years I've gotten more and more lazy and now I pretty much just season and throw on the BGE. Low and Slow.
    Now the holiday meats are a different story. Turkey time is one complicated ritual altogether.

I do the same. He'll, mine isn't even hitting the egg until about 10am and it'll be done around 6. I cook it at about 300° and I can't tell a difference.

I did the overnight thing for years, but eventually said screw it.

• Options
    edited September 2018

@cory430 said:

@DawgBones said:

@moos said:

3 days?

I do the same. He'll, mine isn't even hitting the egg until about 10am and it'll be done around 6. I cook it at about 300° and I can't tell a difference.

I still do a long prep, 1.5 days. But its mostly just sitting time.

Want a dirty secret? Scientifically speaking, After it smokes for 4 hours, it will achieve max smoke penetration. You can finish in the oven for 2 hours at 350, and reduce your total cook time to 6 hours. You and your guests will be very taste the difference.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

I cheat. I have a commercial electric smoker. After brining the butt(s) for 24 hours and adding the rub, I put them in the smoker around 8 or 9 pm, push one button and they will cook overnight at 225 for 12 hours, then hold at 145 until I'm ready to take them out. They've always turned out great....

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@moos said:

@cory430 said:

@DawgBones said:

@moos said:

3 days?

I still do a long prep, 1.5 days. But its mostly just sitting time.

Want a dirty secret? Scientifically speaking, After it smokes for 4 hours, it will achieve max smoke penetration. You can finish in the oven for 2 hours at 350, and reduce your total cook time to 6 hours. You and your guests will be very taste the difference.

Thanks for the secret. Will use that one

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is the 14th hour of smoking

For example on this process

Thursday morning: purchase and injection
    Friday morning: re-inject lightly and apply rub
    Friday afternoon: take out of fridge and let it get closer to room temp
    Friday night: put on smoker at 180-190 degrees
    Saturday morning: increase temp to 230
    Saturday around noon: pull once internal temp is at 205 degrees. I then wrap them in foil and a towel and place in a non iced cooler for a few hours
    Saturday afternoon... pull and shred

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

@ghostofuga1 said:
    I cheat. I have a commercial electric smoker. After brining the butt(s) for 24 hours and adding the rub, I put them in the smoker around 8 or 9 pm, push one button and they will cook overnight at 225 for 12 hours, then hold at 145 until I'm ready to take them out. They've always turned out great....

What's the smoker. I also have an older electric smoker. Looking to upgrade maybe

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

@RPMdawg said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

What's the smoke. I also have an older electric smoker. Looking to upgrade maybe

Also, what is the brine for your pork?

• Options

@FirePlugDawg said:

@RPMdawg said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

What's the smoke. I also have an older electric smoker. Looking to upgrade maybe

The smoker is a Cookshack like this one. My brine is pretty simple. 1 part apple cider vinegar, 1 part white vinegar, 2 parts water, 1/4 cup salt.

• Options
    mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:

This is the 14th hour of smoking

For example on this process

Thursday morning: purchase and injection
    Friday morning: re-inject lightly and apply rub
    Friday afternoon: take out of fridge and let it get closer to room temp
    Friday night: put on smoker at 180-190 degrees
    Saturday morning: increase temp to 230
    Saturday around noon: pull once internal temp is at 205 degrees. I then wrap them in foil and a towel and place in a non iced cooler for a few hours
    Saturday afternoon... pull and shred

Nom Nom!! Looks great! Nothing better than a well smoked butt on a football Saturday.

• Options
    edited September 2018

@ghostofuga1 said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@RPMdawg said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

The smoker is a Cookshack like this one. My brine is pretty simple. 1 part apple cider vinegar, 1 part white vinegar, 2 parts water, 1/4 cup salt.

Interesting brine. I use Black Strap molasses and pickling salt

• Options

Mine just went on about 45 minutes ago

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@moos said:

No brine but have marinated with molasses and sometimes honey. Got to be careful though as the sugar can form a burnt crust that is not good.
    For a different take on my turkeys, I occasionally use orange marmalade to marinate and baste. Gives it an island luau kinda taste that everyone likes. At least that's what they tell me.

• Options

@DawgBones said:

@moos said:

No brine but have marinated with molasses and sometimes honey. Got to be careful though as the sugar can form a burnt crust that is not good.
    For a different take on my turkeys, I occasionally use orange marmalade to marinate and baste. Gives it an island luau kinda taste that everyone likes. At least that's what they tell me.

There's no better turkey in my opinion than one done correctly in the egg.

• Options

@moos said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@RPMdawg said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

I'll have to try that. I like to change it up every now and then. One of the things I also do is place a catch pan on the rack below the butt. Catch all the juice and save it for later. After the butt has rested for a while, I hand pull it and place the meat in a container. I then take a cup or two of the saved juice, add about 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar and 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Mix all together real well, and pour over the meat. Talk about moist and melt in your mouth.....I'm hungry!!!

• Options

Probably throwing some beef ribs on as well.